Car change - Billsboy
I am on my third Passat Tdi and have not experienced any of the problems reported in other threads, but three years and 45k miles is the longest I have kept one.
I intended to keep my present Sport 130 for a longer period into my retirement in three years time when it will have covered 60k miles, and then for a few more years at only 6 or7K pa.
In view of adverse comments on this site I am reconsidering but need to keep the outlay to a minimum. It is currently worth about £11.3k in p/x, so what could I buy with say no more than £4k plus the px?
My wife will not even consider a Mondeo but we need this size of car, preferrably a diesel.
Any recommendations would be welcome. (I am looking at a new Mazda 6 later today, any good?)
Car change - spinner
The Mazda 6 is as good as the Mondeo (it has the same chassis?).
You might be able to get a new Accord Saloon (but not a diesel) for this money as well - it depends where you go.
The Totota Avensis diesel is also supposed to be good.
Car change - No Do$h
Suggest you blindfold your wife and put her in the passenger seat of the current Mondeo. It's lovely when they have to eat their words.

:o)
Car change - Billsboy
Thanks Spinner and No Dosh.
Was impressed with the Mazda, booked test drive next week. I also liked the Honda Accord but SWMBO wasn't interested. On the way home though, she admitted that what she really disliked was the salesman!! Might have another look, especially at an ex demo.
Trouble is if the money stayed in the bank, it should more than cover any repair costs for the Passat and I have a much higher spec car to enjoy in the meantime.
Has anyone got any real evidence that reported problems affect all Passats and are they that expensive to rectify?
Car change - bazza
Well are you really sure about changing? You have a highly decent car 3 years old and not much mileage on it. You've already suffered the greatest depreciation on it in the first 3 years. If you put that 4.5K into something brand new like a Mondeo or M6, you'll lose the greater part of it in the first year through depreciation. So why not buy a warranty through one of the direct companies for some piece of mind, although obviously not total. Keep the Passat well serviced by a good independant and change the cam belt early. You should be alrightand unless you're really unlucky you can enjoy cheaper motoring for a few years yet.
Baz
Car change - spinner
The problems are just more likely to occur in the Passat than in the other makes discussed above.

In terms of depreciation, Bazza is right, the loss of value when buying another make might cost more in the long term than some future repair bills to the Passat.

The other problem of course is VW, who have not got an especially good reputation when it comes to problem solving....

Car change - spinner
.....and that put me off buying one (along with several other makes).