does inexperiance show? - billy25
afternoon all,
Appologies if this query has been "done to death before", but my friend (aged 43) has just passed his driving test (monday) first time, after just 4 months of "learning". In the "local" last night he told me proudly that he had just got a car, would i like to come around today and see it. so i did. He has bought a "hyundia sonata 3.0", off his friend at work, without even inspecting it,(his friend drove it to work-did paperwork in lunch break- he drove it home), don't ask about ins, i didn't!.
As he is first to admit he knows nowt about cars, after a brief inspection, i think he has got away luckily with a decent buy. But i can't help wondering if it's too much too soon for him,(1.odd dual controlled micra - sonata 3.0, in 4 days?).

billy
does inexperiance show? - Altea Ego
No problem its an easy car to drive, in fact i think the micra is quicker.................
does inexperiance show? - OldPeculiar
Well yes inexperience does tend to show - I remember what my driving was like after first passing my test......

Never driven a Sonata but HJ seems to think it's reliable hopefully it's cheap to repair accident damage as well!

It sounds unlikely that your friend has insurance - the cost on a 3 litre car would be astronomical. unfortunatly there's a very good chance that he'll need it at some point in the next 12 months.
don't want to create waves, or sound "nanny state-ish", but with all the other "safety restrictions" that are being imposed on motorists, can it be "right" to allow a "novice" driver loose on the streets, in such a powerful machine, just because they have driven sufficiently well for 30mins to earn a piece of paper?.
no.. that didn't come out right!!. what i think i am basically trying to say is, should novices be restricted to a less powerful machine for a short period of time after passing test, to allow them to gain a bit of road user awareness and experience.
i think!

billy.
does inexperiance show? - terryb
Only when you're trying to spell "inexperience"
:o)
Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
Perhaps they should - it seems to work reasonably well for motorbikes but I'm sure that you'ld see a great many people flouting an rule like that making it kind of pointless. In fact those that flout it my drive worse due to "If I'm doing one thing illegal I might as well do more" effect.
does inexperiance show? - BazzaBear {P}
I do think that there should be limitations. Maybe for a year after passing their test people should be limited to a 1.3, then for a year to a 1.8, after that whatever you like. Of course this opens up cars with small engines but turbo's, etc.
Maybe a bhp limit instead.
Basically, I know that when I first passed my test I wanted something a lot quicker than the 1.3 Astravan I had, and I know that now, at the venerable age of 25, I'm very glad that I didn't, if I had I think it a lot more likely I wouldn't have reached the venerable age of 25!
this is the point i think i had in the back of my mind!, just after i passed my test i jumped from a herald, to a triumph 2000 mk 1, and by the time i had "bounced" it off a few field walls, i realised that if i wanted to "grow-up" then i should do, and get something that i had the driving capabilities to handle.
this is probably the reason i am here to plague you all today!.

does inexperiance show? - patently
There is in effect a limitation, provided by the requirement for insurance. Most young or inexperienced drivers who ask for insurance in a powerful car eillsimply be told "no quote". I remember insuring my first car and seeing the broker's computer say this for half the companies it tried - and I was 21 with 4 years experience, trying to insure an ancient Montego.

The problem here is that he seems to have forgotten this bit.

I'm wary of legislation, for two reasons. One is that it will distort car development - engines etc will be designed around the regulations. The second is that it is a thin end of the wedge which leads to maximum capacities for all drivers, or "superlicences" required to go above these. And we all know where the present incumbents would set the limit - 1.0 litre Micra anyone?
patently,
i think you may be right, i think the excitement of actually owning a car, had overtaken the practabilities of car ownership. i think he may very well get a shock when he comes to insuring it, as long as he can get a "quote" though, the cost will not be a barrier in his case.
on the legislation points, your first reason is already happening in reality, re- exhaust emmissions etc,manufacturers have to develop thier engines around gov limitations, and therefore engines and performance may be distorted to a certain degree as we speak.
your second point, i totally agree, i don't relish a 1.0 ltr micra either, which is where the limit would probably be set, on the pretence of environmental protection.

billy.
does inexperiance show? - Canon Fodder
billy,

Is he a sailor?

Piloting a 23ft Cabin Cruiser up the Thames would be the best experience for taking the helm of a Sonata.

;-]

CF.
LOL,
don't even want to go there again, even the irish sea ain't big enough! let him drive my boat last year, supposed to pass "selker bouy"(large green can-bouy, complete with solar panel, light, and bell)on the port side, he managed to glance it as we passed, saying "where the **** did that come from?!!.
You're not inspiring much confidence in this lads driving ability!
does inexperiance show? - Altea Ego
LOL

Reminds me of a time once was taking the seacat to the Channel Islands. It had a small window to view the bridge. There sat the skipper, and a view of the sea in front. On a monitor in front of him was "Yachmaster for Windows 3.1" Blue line for our programmed course, red line for the course we were following.
In the haze appeared a Yacht. Skipper casually leans over, moves mouse on screen and bends the blue line round behind the projected course of the screen. ACE! - except the next moment the famous Windows 3.1 GPF fault apears on the screen followed by the blue screen of death.

Lets say the next few minutes were frantic as an alluminium can full of 50 odd motor cars skimming over the sea at 40mph towards a poor unsuspecting yacht woke the skipper from his casual doze!

and people say they want cars to be controlled by computer!
i don't know anything about his car driving skills, but i do know about his qualities as a sailor, not only has he tried to drown me, by getting me to jump out of the boat in 3 metres of water instead of feet, but he also tried to kill my hat!!. i could write a book about our fishing exploits, but i won't.

billy.