leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - sp30
local highways depts listen up! nothing illustrates the effects of bad driving better than a smashed up car. so leave them on the verges with a sign reading "think" attached. anyone agree?
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - smokie
Nope
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Imagos
>>nope>>

i disagree......

a superb idea,

the more the car smashed up the better.

makes you 'think' doesn't it?
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - DavidHM
Until they get torched, anyway. The costs of dealing with this/insuring against it for personal injuries and property damage, not to mention the impracticality of it all, would make it difficult.

Plus insurance companies would want control over the salvage, so they'd have to be bought back, further pushing up the costs.

And finally, even if not actually on fire, crashed cars like that would be rubbernecker heaven, and would be another heavy object for cars skidding off to hit - so would actually be a hazard themselves.

There's definitely something in the psychology that you've suggested but I can't see that being practical.
place them on platforms high enough so the cant be got at or on roundabouts which have traffic lights so while your stationary you could gaze at the wreck and think 'that could have been me'

as for being a distraction well there are loads of them already.

if this was properly done this could be a great idea. i seem to remember this happening at some service stations a few years back around christmas time?
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - DavidHM
At motorway services, maybe... people around 24 hours a day, low speeds.

But I can imagine someone ploughing into the back of traffic waiting at lights and blaming it on looking at the wreck on the pole.

Plus do you trust local councils to do it properly? To be honest, this opens up so many areas of legal liability that it frightens me.
it was just a thought i had as sat in trafic on m1 n this morning, seeing a 4wd on its side. but your all right it is a distraction, positive but still a hazard
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Andrew-T
What kind of neighbourhood do you live in, where a crashed car would look in place? Or is it for others' neighbourhoods?
What kind of neighbourhood do you live in, where a crashed
car would look in place? Or is it for others' neighbourhoods?

i live in the "global" neighborhood, where far too many people die on our roads, any idea to reduce has got to be concidered.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - spinner
This would just cause more accidents - due to people rubber-necking.
Anyway you forgot the 2 minute rule, where drivers go carefully past the scene of an accident, drive sensibly for few minutes - then back to normal as if nothing had happened.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - ndbw
Interesting idea but not new.I did some touring in Cologne area of Germany in a hired VW Beetle in 1954,the autobahns were great but the B roads were terrible the results of accidents were put on display as suggested with a notice of the deaths that had occured,a very sobering idea I can assure you.

Incidently when crossing the road in Baden-Baden on foot I got a rollcking from a policeman for crossing against the pedestrian lights although the road was clear for me to do so,if only we had that dicipline here and now.

ndbw
simular idea to what the savages done in the middle ages, put the heads of recently executed riff raff on stakes on the roads for all to see, or what about bringing back the gibbet for all those who break speed limit by 1%

now there's a thought..
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Sooty Tailpipes
From time to time, the POLICE used to park smashed cars and motorbikes in the carpark of motorway services and have their patrol bike/car there to look at and leaflets to takeaway. That was 15 or so years ago before the onset of what we have today.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - OldPeculiar
Better to leave old police cars by the side of the road than crashed cars.

Leaving any sort of car though is open to abuse by Jonny scrote. e.g. nicks number plates for use on own car, raids for spares, sets alight, walks into it and claims compensation for a stubbed toe etc.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - helicopter
I prefer the idea of having those little shrines you see on mountainous roads in Spain and Greece with a candle lit for those who didn't survive the journey home.

I've noticed locally flowers , cards and soft toys taped to lamp posts where a kiddy has been killed tends to make me check my speed.

The Isuzu Trooper on its side the other morning slowed me down too - 45 minutes to do a 20 minute journey.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - patently
There used to be a sign in Denham high street that said how many had died on that stretch of road in the last 12 months.

That made you think...
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - HF
Sadly in this country those signs and shrines are likely to get vandalised. Utterly sick but true.
HF
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Alpha Dio {P}
I prefer the idea of having those little shrines you see
on mountainous roads in Spain and Greece

Indeed... they certainly give me pause for thought when I see them. One of my regular journeys in Greece is over about 20km of mountain road. Judging by the presence of these shrines every quarter mile or so, it doesn't prey on the minds of the locals that much :( That said, they might be more effective in this country - though they'd probably be subject to planning permission etc....
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Baskerville
I believe this was also done in the US when the first freeways appeared in California in the 1940s.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Mapmaker
What kind of neighbourhood do you live in, where a crashed
car would look in place? Or is it for others' neighbourhoods?

>i live in the "global" neighborhood, where far too many people >die on our roads, any idea to reduce has got to be concidered.

Do they? Whilst agreeing that any death is one too many, in the UK we have a very low attrition rate. The idea of considering 'any idea' is, to my mind, rather flawed. The 'reduce accidents' at any cost brigade have a lot to answer for.

The whole notion that 'one cannot put a value on life, it's too precious' is inherently flawed. A value is constantly being put on life! Everything in the world is designed to a certain tolerance level. Which is why the annual train crash with half a dozen dead is neither surprising nor shocking, nor 'unnecessary'.
Safe Speed make the valid point that a measure intended to reduce accidents by focusing on a way to prevent those accidents that DID happen might unintentionally make those which were previously "near misses" into actual accidents.

They put it better, though.
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - Mapmaker
But patently, beautifully put! Although maybe Safe Speed (as an entity all of its own) would take a singular verb?

I suppose I'm not certain about 'DID' either. Maybe 'will' or (forcefully) 'shall' or 'do'.

And maybe 'were' should become 'would previously have been'.

Only trying to help.... [ducks & grouses]
I've found the reference:

www.safespeed.org.uk/tiger.html

Mapmaker, you misunderstand me re "did". Which somewhat perversely proves my point [that SS put it better!]
leave crashed cars by roadside!!! - BrianW
I agree that some sort of reminder is useful, at the moment this seems to be a bunch of wilted flowers.
It would also highlight whether c a m e r a s were actually in locations where accidents happen.