Telephone number on V5 - Andy
In the light of the "Clocked or not?" thread below, I would really appreciate feedback on the suggestion below:

Maybe, when selling cars, owners should be offered the opportunity to leave a contact telephone number on the V5 to help potential future buyers. They would have no financial interest in the car anymore so could, I feel, offer an honest appraisal of the car's value as well as confirm the last known mileage.

Yours

Andy
Re: Telephone number on V5 - Dave
Andy wrote:

> Maybe, when selling cars, owners should be offered the
> opportunity to leave a contact telephone number on the V5 to
> help potential future buyers.

Good idea. However surely limiting the potential for future owners to commit fraud with your car doesn't help you in any way. If anything it reduces the value of your vehicle 'cos it can't be clocked.

I thought hat about mileage on the Tax disc. I was just about to fill in the mileage when I realized that the only person who could benifit form clocking my bike presently is me!!!

Whilst I don't intend to clock a vehicle I don't see how I can gain from *preventing* myself from doing it.

Of course if we all do it we all gain but that aint gonna happen!
Re: Telephone number on V5 - Nick Ireland
I think there might be some Data Protection Act Implications about putting phone numbers on V5s - like Swansea might not be allowed to do it. Why not leave a card in the service handbook, offering your details to a potential buyer?
Re: Telephone number on V5 - John Kenyon
Nick Ireland wrote:
>
> I think there might be some Data Protection Act Implications
> about putting phone numbers on V5s - like Swansea might not
> be allowed to do it. Why not leave a card in the service
> handbook, offering your details to a potential buyer?

But if the previous owners name and address is on the V5
what's to stop the new/prospective owner from dialling 192?
Or even writing a letter?

/John