Your help needed ASAP - John Shelton
In January I placed an order with a well known East Midlands car dealership for a brand new Mitsubishi Carisma. I specified to the dealer that it must brand new and I specifically excluded preregistration, since it came with 3 years free servicing when new as part of the deal. I signed on the dotted line and left.
Come today I went to pick up my "new" 04 reg car only to be informed that they had been unable to supply a new unregistered car and had preregistered it and also that there was no free servicing with it. I nearly blew up in the showroom. I was stuck in a town many miles from hone / work with no way to get back so i took the car when they offered 2 years free servicing as a goodwill gesture, since I live in a village with no bus service to speak of and having on friday sold my old car privately. I am absolutely fuming, The order placed was for a brand new car with the service package and theyve supplied a prereg one (which I specifically excluded) with a consessionary offer of 2 services. I have made a formal complaint to my local Trading Standards Office and I have emailed the BBC Watchdog Program. This utterly shabby treatment of me is disgusting. The dealer actually claimed I had walked in and asked for a prereg car. A total canard! What I am supposed to do now? Any advice massively gratefully recieved.
Your help needed ASAP - sp30
park it in his showroom window on fire!!!!! i hate dealers like that..
And.....you are not going to believe this but the salesman claimed I had turned down the offer of 3 years free servicing....frankly I was gobsmacked !
Your help needed ASAP - BobbyG
First course of action John will be do you have a copy of an order form, invoice etc, or really, any proof of what you stipulated ?
Your help needed ASAP - Thommo
As Mr. G says, do you have it in writing?

If so, SUE THE PINK FLUFFY DICE!

If not, call Mitsubishi UK head office and tell them you will pursue this through the internet/media/whatever until you get justice!

Mad foaming at the mouth unpleasantness gets results. Its called the French approach.

Shame it has to come to this but this is 2004 and \'service\' is a memory...
I was told the copy of the original order form would be forwarded to me in the post....It never arrived. I made 6 phone calls to the salesman to clarufy the matter and never got through to him I spoke to the desk staff who promised he would ring back. On only one occassion did he return a call, and that was to say he had recived the insurance certificate, he then put the phone down on me.
John ,is the new car pre registered still an 04? If so, it would be worth contacting Mitsubishi with your story as it looks like they have pre registered it for a reason - sales bonus or whatever?
I would spend the rest of tonight gaining as much info as you can from the Backroom, try and calm down (easy for me to say) and then act on all the info tomorrow. Did the price you paid reflect that it was prereg? Usually a good few £k off the list price?
Was the 3 year servicing deal a Mitsubishi offer or a local offer? If the former, again they may wish to find out why one of their dealers prevented a customer from getting it?

Either way, I think you are looking to return it tomorrow, threaten to stop any payment / finance etc, take your camera and take some pictures of the car, salesman, dealer premises etc. It might just intimidate them a bit. Finally have you spoken to the dealer principal? It may be that he has only heard one side of the story..

Good luck mate
Ok im going to say it at the expense of my thread being deleted, but the salesman just lied through his teeth. Frankly im intears over this are any of you backroomers solicitors who would be willing to give me a few minutes free legal advice over the phone? If so leave me an email adress and enclose a phone number so i can ring you in the morning PLEASE.
Your help needed ASAP - matt35 {P}
John,

I'm with Bobby G - go for their throats!

Take notes of every conversation you have with them - take names and positions - let them see you doing this - if you can borrow a pocket tape recorder even better...don't let them see that.
Take photos and record the mileage of the motor...take HJs' advice and check the underside of the ashtray for the probable date of manufacture.

From what you have written, JFK's (or was it Nixon?) words come to mind, 'Don't get mad - get even!'.

Matt35.
Your help needed ASAP - matt35 {P}
PS,

Also - take note of the VIN number!

Matt.
Your help needed ASAP - Andrew-T
This isn't of any help either, but I bought from a Cannock dealer a few years ago (nearly 70 miles away because they had the car I was looking for). Once they had hands on the money (or promise of it) they gave up responding to Emails or returning calls. But at least the car was OK and the one I wanted!
Your help needed ASAP - M.M
Of course this really is of no help but today you should not have paid for or taken this car away....whatever the pressures.

Good luck with the fight!

M.M
Your help needed ASAP - Wales Forester
Take it back and tell the salesman to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

If that's not your style, contact Companies House
online at ws1info.companieshouse.gov.uk/info/ it'll cost you £2.50 to get the home addresses of the company directors and write to them with the facts.

PP
Your help needed ASAP - Pugugly {P}
I would suggest writing down now what you remember of the deal process from visit one. Include dates/times and names if you can remember them. I would go back tomorrow in person with your written "statement" and ask to see the Dealer Principle. Use your notes as your prompts during the conversation (take someone with you if you can). Given the account that you have given there are failings on both sides (i.e. not giving you a "new car invoice" - accepting the car when you knew its background I'm not going to give legal advice here as it would be monumentally bad practice but engage a brief if you have to. It may be a long battle.
Your help needed ASAP - Vansboy
Call our BBC Three Counties consumer champion, Stephen Rhodes 08459 455555 weekdays 10am - midday.(Doesn't matter you're out of area).

This guy sorts it - FAIRLY & follows everything through to the end, unlike Watchdog etc.

e mail his team from www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties site, NOW & ring him at 10 tomorrow.

& obviously listen to whatever Pugugly says.

Good luck.

VB
Your help needed ASAP - Ben {P}
Bad luck. Do they presume that a lot of people just wont notice?

What i know about law you could write on the back of the postage stamp, but i think you need to return the car, and give the keys back.

Collate all the evidence you can, in the clearest form you to make the information as easy as possible to understand. Time is money with layers!

If you held a copy of the order form it would be easier to prove what you were supplied was not what you ordered.But you will have evidence of all the calls you made to the dealer. I think i would be inclined to phone the manufacturers,state your case, make a fuss, and see what they say first before taking any further, potentially expensive, action.
Your help needed ASAP - Martin Wall
I'm no legal expert and it sounds as though you need some proper legal advice.

How did you pay for the car? If it's on HP then the finance company should be able to assist.

I hope that this gets sorted out for you asap.

best regards
Your help needed ASAP - Cardew
John,
Whilst your frustration is understandable, as others have intimated, you lost the initiative in this matter when you paid for the car without an order form and then drove away in the car.

What you haven't stated is what action you now want from the dealer. It seems to me you should quantify your loss in financial terms and claim that from the dealer.

If they won't play ball take them to the small claims court and, as others have suggested, try to ensure maximum publicity.

Pugugly is constrained from giving legal advice but the gist of his last sentence is pretty clear.

C
Thanks for the advice. I have made a formal complaint to Local Trading Standards Office, I have emailed BBC Watchdog programme, and I will be appearing on 3 Counties local BBC radio tomorrow morning. Im considering contacting a no win no fee solicitor and will be writing to the group manager.
Good luck John. Please keep us updated.
The position as of this morning is that I appeared on radio and gave my account. I also had a call from Trading Standards who have allocated me a case officer. I spoke to another TS officer who advised me to write to the company rejecting the car. Massive dilemma here. I live in a small village and their is no direct bus service to where I work. The radio guy said they would contact the company for their side. I still have no order form.
Your help needed ASAP - bazza
Would have thought all the time you are actually getting use from the car in question,you are weakening your case for your money back. Why don't you buy a banger for £200 to run around in? Then you can formally reject the car by returning it to the dealer with a formal letter etc.
Baz
Your help needed ASAP - No Do$h
Ring TS immediately and propose that you get the car back to the dealership NOW and hand the keys over along with a letter stating that you are rejecting the car. The letter should state in clear and unemotional terms the nature of the contract you entered into. State the breaches of that agreement. Record that a copy of the order was not provided (I'm praying the order clearly listed your requirements or you are up PFD creek without a paddle). If the order backs your version and is signed, they aren't going to be able to win this one.

IMO, if returning the car is too much of an inconvenience because of your locality, you've as good as lost.

Do speak to TS and discuss this course of action before you do anything.
Your help needed ASAP - Mark (RLBS)
You need to stop using it, and you need to give it back.

You also need to work out what your loss is. Campaigns have their place, but you need to know what you personally want. This can be anything from an apology to a sum of money. If its a sum of money you will need to justify that.

For example, if it was simply that it was pre-registered, then do you want a refund, do you want a sum of money to cover potential future loss of value ? etc. etc.

However, if you conitnue using it then it is going to seem as if that car wasn't that unsuitable, you have accepted it, and your financial loss is not that significant.

As for the rest of it, more power to your elbow and keep us informed.
Ive cleared up the matter, Ive accepted 3 free services (worth about £800) as recompense but TS are still going to speak to the dealer. The vehicle cannot be deregistered, so ive had to take this on the chin. TS advised that it would come down to one argument versus another. I live off any bus routes and cannot get to work without a car. Not an ideal situation, but Ive probably saved myself a 3 years plus compensation battle. It is the car I wanted , the car is fine, its the deal that got cocked up.
Your help needed ASAP - Wales Forester
I'm not wanting to add fuel to any fire here John, but, how do 3 services add up to £800 for a Mitsubishi Carisma?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've only given you one more service than you'd agreed already? That's not resolving the matter at all. The vehicle is still pre-registered and they've still fleeced you with the price because of that.

You've still not got what you wanted, and it seems you've accepted a brush off which surprises me after your initial posts.

I personally would take it back ASAP and demand my money back.
If they don't give it you then you take it further, as far as it takes.

As for the inconvenience in the meantime with taxi's, lifts etc, wouldn't they be a small price to pay for getting back at the big dealer who tried stamping on the consumer yet again?!

All the best, whatever you decide on.
PP
I got a good discount on the car in the first place. which is about what a prereg would have cost. Ok i take your point., but i intend to hang on to the car for several years.
What an anti climax!!!

John, in all seriousness if you are now happy, then that is great and thats all that matters in the end.

However I am sure I, like many of the backroomers, were hoping for a David V Goliath battle with John winning everything and dealer eating lots of humble pie!!

Oh well, never mind, back to Enid Blyton.... :)
Your help needed ASAP - Sooty Tailpipes
To a dealer, the first three services are worth about £120.
Your help needed ASAP - Jonathan {p}
3 services are likely to be:
6k,
12-15k
18-24k
This will be over 3 years, are you sure that you won't need more than 3?

You will probably use 2 up by the end of year 1 and will have another one in year 2, so you will still have a third year to take it to them to keep the warranty up.

Jonathan
Well actually now that you made mention of David and Golaith.........Today I had a phomne call from 3 Counties radio and they read a statement from the dealer.It said that I went into the showroom and ASKED for a secondhand carisma. They have just dropped a massive sweatmeat. They have openly lied on radio. In fact I went in and asked for a brand new unregistered Carisma and made 2 mentions of the fact a prereg would not be suitable Indeed I said NO so loud im sure the whole staff heard it. Second sweatmeat....they said id only paid secondhand money so as far as they were concerned i was only getting a secondhand car. So..what happened to contracts irrespective of the agreed price? eh, they have openly lied twice. FACT!!! Ive rung TS and remade the complaint I will be chatting to the TS manager tomorrow. I paid reasonable money for a new car . As what they have said is a barefaced LIE I am very much willing to swear before the court that what I have said in these threads is true, I have no fear I AM telling the truth. Theyve made a BIG error.
Oh yes and before I go, Ive just today established when the carisma was manufactured, 19th August 2003. so, it was nearly 6 months old when it was registered on 1st march. Also. some of you may know I used to work on the line at toyota near Derby, well i went inspecting the car today and what made me suspicious was the amount of oxidisation corrosion on the gearbox casing, so i checked and forund it was nearly 6 months old. Also........You may remember I had a Proton MPi saloon in good nick which I sold last week. Part of the reason it was good was it had been undersealed when it was imported by Proton. indeed underneath was dirty, but rust free, really and it was 11 years old.!! Ive checked under the body of this carisma and its an abortion, the sealer deck girls and boys have only done half a job and the entire floorpan is finished in primer !! this car will be lucky to see its 6 winters.
John, you need to reject this car and reject it now. Any attempt to "remedy" the situation is doomed under the circumstances you describe. Go for the jugular and do it before close of business tomorrow.

I appreciate you will be car-less for a few days, but I'm sure a man of your tenacity will locate a suitable older car to keep you ticking over. Get on to TS first thing and explain this in no uncertain terms.

As mentioned in a previous post, you had better hope the order clearly states your requirements and has your signature on it. If they can't come up with a signed order or they falsify one, they are in the doo-doo.
Your help needed ASAP - Vin {P}
I'd suggest you reject it. You're never going to feel happy about it or get any kind of helpful service from the dealer.

If necessary, hire a car for a couple of weeks; you'd be amazed how cheap it can be if you phone around. A friend of mine hires in Manchester for around a tenner a day.

V
Your help needed ASAP - mark
Hello John

I have followed this thread and I am really sorry to hear how this dealership has treated you.

In some lesser-developed parts of the world this behaviour would lead to a hand grenade being thrown into the dealers showroom.

I think its time for you to fix bayonets and charge on this one. Don't let them get away with it there is a good chance the publicity generated will pull others who have suffered similarly out of the woodwork.

As ever

Mark
Your help needed ASAP - Martin Wall
Presumably you wanted this car on a '04' plate - which it has - so if the dealer could have registered the car in your name on March 1st, why didn't they do this? Normally a dealer will only pre-register a car in their own name to meet manufacturer sales targets to get various bonuses. If they had a buyer for this car it would make no sense to register it in their own name.

Also, who would walk into a showroom and say I'd like you to pre-register this car so I can then buy it? Normally if the car is already pre-registered then yes, but given that you placed the order some weeks ago....

Anyway, can I suggest that you don't post anything here that could be detrimental to your case. Assume that anything you post on the internet can be read by friends and foes alike.

Best of luck!
Your help needed ASAP - Dalglish
when is a new car not a new car?

see

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11410&...f

and

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19212&...f
Ecactly my point, who would go and ask to buy a secondhand car? Im not lyeing when I said i went in and asked for a new car I mean i chose the colour and everything else. and I waited 7 weeks for it. They already had prereg Carismas availible so why didnt I buy one of them if i had gone in and asked for a used car? It doesnt make sense! Why wait several weeks for a used car when other identical ones were availble immediately?
Your help needed ASAP - alex

In an earlier thread John writes:

"the sealer deck boys and girls have only done half a job as the entire floorpan is finished in primer !! This car will be lucky to see its six winters."

Whatever happened to Mitsubishi build quality ? Aren't we led to believe that Japanese cars are perfect in every respect ?
Your help needed ASAP - Mark (RLBS)
John,

As I said before you need to decide what you want;

If that car is unacceptable to you, reject it now.

If that car is acceptable, what additional do you want ?

Having worked out what you want, tell them. When/if you get it, then forget the matter. Life is too short for any other approach.

The longer you use it the weaker your position will become.
Whatever happened to Mitsubishi build quality ? Aren't we led
to believe that Japanese cars are perfect in every respect ?

It's built in Holland alongside the old S40 and V40. Nuff said.
Your help needed ASAP - T Lucas
Oh dear,you don't seem to have much luck when it comes to ordering new cars.Are you the same person that had all the problems trying to order a new Fiat Stilo from an internet dealer and says the build quality on UK built Toyotas is not up to much?
There are of course two sides to every story and it would be very intresting to hear the unfortunate Mitsubishi dealers take on things,they are of course making deals with different people every working day and hopefully don't make the same awful mistakes/deceits that they did with you.
Lets just hope that all can be resolved,life really is to short and the lawyers are wealthy enough.
The salesman would not supply me with a copy of the original order form when I went to pick up the car. He did not even give me a copy of the order form the day I ordered the car.