cat converters are rubbish - spencer the artist
is there a way, indeed, is there a kind of underground movement, of bypassing the scourge of modern driving that is the cat converter, then reconnecting it for the MOT... when they need replacing half the time it is uneconomical and the car is thrown away... welll ok not half the time, rarely in fact, but still, most people when you look at the true facts without a lot of bleating emotionalism will realise that cats are a total waste of time and money, n'est pas gentlemen?
Re: cat converters are rubbish - andy bairsto
Not difficult ,remove the cat substitute with a piece of pipe and short out the lamba.Upto a couple of years ago every car going to the middle east had its cat removed as there was no unleaded petrol I used to see the pile of cats grow in the GM garage at the back of my office in Jeddah I do not know what they did with them.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Cliff Pope
Turn on your gas cooker, open the oven door, and sit down. You won't smell anything, so it is quite safe.

Er, not quite. Sorry Vin, I do take your point. But there could be harmful things in car exhaust that we can't smell, like CO2 destroying the planet?

Cliff
Re: Cats and CO2 - John Slaughter
Cliff

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I have to be pedantic and point out that catalytic converters do not reduce carbon dioxide. In fact, by converting CO to CO2, and by slightly reducing fuel efficiency, they probably increase CO2 emissions.

regards

John
Re: cat converters are rubbish - richard turpin
The fact remains that if you are stuck behind a non cat car, THEY STINK. I actually choose to go behind a cat car even if the queue is longer. Cats must be doing something right.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Tomo
Well, well, it's all second or third order effect when there is a big volcanic event.
What we should bear in mind is that many are not anti-car because they are green, they are green because they are anti-car.
I am now going motoring. Because of the enormous tax on this pursuit, my disposable income is being significantly reduced, which at the end of the day is going to endanger someone's employment, somewhere.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Andy P
Carbon dioxide destroying the planet? What would all the plants do without it?
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Andy,

If one does remove a Cat and substitute a straight pipe or ordinary silencer (and I have several customers who have done so on pre-Aug '92 vehicles), one should certainly not "short out" the Lambda sensor. Disconnecting the sensor electrically may well put the ECM into "limp home" mode, but actually shorting it out could well cause actual damage to the ECM. Equally, removing the Lambda sensor and leaving it in fresh air will make the engine run full rich the whole time.

The Lambda sensor samples exhaust pre-Cat and should be left in place (or, where it is fitted in the nose of the Cat a new home be created for it in the downpipe) for the management system to continue to operate.

Temporary removal of Cat (between Mot's) risks failure at roadside emisssions tests.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the bloody things are 'orrible and were the wrong way to go in the first place, but for the moment we are stuck with them.

Regards, Adam
Re: cat converters are rubbish - vin
No "bleating emotionalism" from me, just a point that you may have missed. Whenever you're sitting in a traffic jam with your ventilation fan on and you smell exhaust fumes, look at the registration of the car in front. I guarantee it'll be J reg or older. Anything after that and there won't be a smell (unless it's someone who's bypassed the cat).

So, one of the results of cats is cleaner air for all. Not what I'd call a total waste of time and money.
Cats increase the gases we do not want mainly c02 and plenty of cancer causing fumes from the petrol itself.To make the cat we use quite rare and expensive metals and mountains of energy .Lean burn technology can provide a much cleaner engine without cats and also much more efficient .Do not forget cats are only any use when the engine is hot so the first couple of miles they shovel all sorts into the atmosphere.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Jon
CATs actually reduce "harmful" emissions such as CO (which can kill you quite easily) to less harmful (to humans anyway) CO2. That is all they do. All engines allow some unburned fuel through in the form of hydrocarbons, so using that argument for having/not haing cats does not wash.

If you want to complain about something, then it should be the fact that lead was removed and benzene put in. Benzene is far more harmful to people and animals than lead ever was.

Jon
I was always under the impression that c02 was one of the main greenhouse gases that will eventually cause us all to die and that no proof excists of harm caused by lead and benzene causes cancer,you could go on forever I suppose with plus and minus.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Alwyn
CO2 is a vital trace gas and this nonsense about it killing the planet is just that: nonsense designed to bring about tax increases and social change by tranferring wealth from rich to poor countries. Whether we think that is good or bad is another matter.

The major greenhouse gas is water vapour which comprises 95% of the vital greenhouse effect which keeps the Earth warm. Without the greenhouse effect we would be at minus 18 degreees C.

Man puts around 6 billion tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels whilst nature puts out 200 billion tonnes via the entirely natural carbon cycle.

Scientists believe that fossil fuels, (oil, gas and coal) were formed millions of years ago and all the energy came from the Sun. Plants used the Suns energy
to produce sugars and oxygen from CO2 and water. during photosynthesis. Animals ate the plants and the enegy was transferred to their bodies.

Over million of years these animals and plants decayed to produce the fossil fuels we now burn: all we are doing is returning CO2 back to the atmosphere from whence it came.

The ice caps are not melting, sea levels are not rising, the planet is not warming. All this is verified by actual temperature readings. Radio sondes on weather balloons and MSU units aboard satellites have been measuring the atmospheric temperature 16,000 times per day for the last 22 years and there is no warming trend whatsoever. Tide gauges the world over show no rising trend.

Cheers
Re: cat converters are rubbish - THe Growler
Yes, I've heard this argument many times but nobody wants to listen. Least of all the greenies, since this is the smokescreen (neat metaphor, huh?) they use for more sinister political agendas, and definitely not the beanies, whose sole purpose in life is to get their little rocks off finding new ways to invent dumb rules and oppressive taxes.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - mike harvey
Andy has a good point with lean burn. The Carina E was clean enough at launch to not need a CAT, but the law said one had to be fitted. Am I mistaken about CO2, I thought we planted a load of trees to produce this? And another point, do aeroplanes have emissions legislation.? They seem to deposit their ozone zapping gasses right on the money at 36,000 ft!
Mike
You planted the trees to absorb c02 not to emit it as the balance of c02 in the atmosphere is reason why the gulf stream works, out of balance then we either freeze or burn .
Re: cat converters are rubbish - mike harvey
Thanks Andy, wrong way round, but I knew the trees had something to do with it! Perhaps they ought to ban Coke. How much CO2 is emitted everytime a can is opened x millions?
Mike
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Alwyn
Hi Mike,

CFC's were blamed for zapping the ozone layer but it has now been shown that CFC's are heavier than air and in fact fall to the ground to be eaten up by soil microbes.

Funny how this all surfaced ( no pun etc.) when the patent for the refrigerant then in use was about to run out!!!!!!!

The replacement the green lobby demanded was 5 times the cost. Odd or timely?
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Nick Ireland
Mike Harvey

I think that trees ABSORB CO2 and GIVE Off oxygen - that is why we want trees - to mop up the CO2, which they synthesise with sunlight to make sugar and oxygen. Science school from 50 years ago so I may be wrong!
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Chris
Nick Ireland wrote:
>
> Mike Harvey
>
> I think that trees ABSORB CO2 and GIVE Off oxygen -
> that is why we want trees - to mop up the CO2, which they
> synthesise with sunlight to make sugar and oxygen. Science
> school from 50 years ago so I may be wrong!

And at night, they absorb oxygen and give off CO2, minus the carbon they use for growth (not much in any given year). There is a net intake of CO2 during the tree's life, but when it dies the CO2 is released again. Also when the leaves fall in autumn CO2 is released. On top of that they do nothing for about five months every year in this country. When a tree reaches maturity (fifty years or so in most cases) it effectively has its own weight, minus the water content, in carbon locked away, but that's it. You'd need a lot of new trees (not the existing ones), and a species that never dies or drops leaves to absorb all the CO2 we release from fossil fuels, because there's millions of years' worth of trees in a metre thick seam of coal. Even George "I'm real clever, me" Bush has now admitted he was wrong on this one.

Chris
Re: cat converters are rubbish - John Slaughter
Chris

The trick is, though, to either continue sequestering the carbon away for a good while longer by using the wood in a productive way eg house building or furniture, or to adopt a 'carbon neutral' approach and supplant fossil carbon by burning the tree in a process which uses the heat energy.

Not the total answer I know, but don't assume that nothing can be done to extend the carbon sequestering potential of trees once they reach maturity.

Regards

John
John Slaughter wrote:
>
> The trick is, though, to either continue sequestering the
> carbon away for a good while longer by using the wood in a
> productive way eg house building or furniture, or to adopt a
> 'carbon neutral' approach and supplant fossil carbon by
> burning the tree in a process which uses the heat energy.

For sure, John, but by burning the tree, you release the CO2, and if the tree was planted to absorb "new" CO2 from fossil fuels, then you are back where you started. Burning wood for fuel certainly keeps the atmospheric carbon level neutral, but if the level is too high in the first place then it won't help. Building with wood, I grant you, keeps the CO2 in. My argument is simply that trees are a help, but not a magic bullet to save us. The only answer is to use less fossil fuel.

Chris
Chris

Yes, you're right that fossil fuel use needs to decline to reduce overall levels, but provided the energy from burning the tree displaces fossil fuel, then it's a benefit.

Regards

John
John Slaughter wrote:

> Yes, you're right that fossil fuel use needs to decline to
> reduce overall levels, but provided the energy from burning
> the tree displaces fossil fuel, then it's a benefit.

So is that why they sell sacks of chopped wood at the petrol stations round here? I was wondering. They even sell sticks in little bundles, which must be easier to squeeze into the filler. They also sell coal, but for older vehicles, you understand.

Chris
Correct use of wood - John Slaughter
Chris

Sounds like kindling for an open fire to me. I wonder how the greens can be so tough on cars and ignore open fires. Inefficient combustion, and a major source of all sorts of low-level pollution including particulates and the real nasties from incomplete combustion.

Despite all the propaganda to the contrary, air quality is better now than it has been for years. The major legislation was the Clean Air Act of the 1950's - it banned coal in urban areas and improved air quality dramatically. When did you last hear of smog?

Regards

john
Re: Correct use of wood - Chris
John Slaughter wrote:
>
> Chris
>
> Sounds like kindling for an open fire to me. I wonder how
> the greens can be so tough on cars and ignore open fires.

Phew, and I was thinking the idea was to start up on sticks then move on to the big logs when it was warm. Actually I have an open fire, and when we bought this house there was (at a rough estimate) three tonnes of coal in the coal shed. I hate using the stuff, but my mining family background tells me it was too hard-won to waste. I can't wait to go back to the all-wood regime of old - from a coppiced woodland, naturally. Now if that doesn't brand me a tree-hugger, I don't know what will. When my (southern) wife smells burning coal she says it smells like the north of England. But as you say, not any more.

Chris
Re: cat converters are rubbish - ROBIN
Thank you Alwyn,it saved me the bother!
But nobody will listen,they dont want the facts you see!
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Mike O'C
We have all been conned by the CAT nonesense that manufacturers have plugged.
If I recall correctly, CATS not only use rare expensive metals but also use Selenium Oxide. The stuff that stinks when hot and gives off carcinogenic gasses. Photocopier manufacturers stopped using selenium years ago.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Andrew Smith
When cats where first introduced I remember Peugeot (I think) claiming that they didn't want to bother with Cats because they felt they were a rather short term and short sighted solution to the problem. They got a lot of bad press about it and were forced to backtrack.
Mike

To be fair, I don't think that car manufacturers have plugged cats. They simply responded to legislation.

The force behind the cat revolution were the Greens who objected to lead in petrol. They used the well known intolerance of cats to lead as the reason to bully goverments into legislating them into being. As has been shown this 'single issue' approach scuppered lean burn (once heavily promoted by one Mrs M Thatcher), and other economy techniques that would have had a beneficial effect on all other emissions, by simply reducing fuel burn. Instead we got saddled with poorly running, uneconomical cars a good few years, and lost many opportunities for new technology.

Had the government simply legislated in unleaded petrol, which actually needed damn all in technology changes and perhaps pushed for emission or fuel use reductions without specifying the blunt instrument of catalysts, who knows what might have happened.

Regards
john
Re: cat converters are rubbish - THe Growler
You sure it's clean air or just fumes which don't smell that you're beathing??
CATS - Chris
Two points:

1. The CO2 from fossil fuels has been locked out of the system for millions of years. Since it was locked away the ecology of the planet has reached a new equilibrium. By releasing it we upset that equilibrium. The truth is we don't know what will happen only that, because of the quantities involved, something will. To me that's far more scary than knowing the sea level is going to rise, because at least you can do something about that (i.e. move away from the sea). If you are blindfolded and taken to the edge of what you think is a kerb-height drop, do you step off it? It could be a cliff.

2. I used to work for the DoE. One day there was a farmer on the phone saying that his field had suddenly flooded. What had happened was that one of the tanks that collects run-off from the M1 had burst, spilling its filthy liquid into the field. Now apart from the unburnt hydrocarbons and other nasties, the chemical content of this slurry was high in such things as platinum, selenium and other things from Cats, and we have no idea (only some rather dark thoughts) what prolonged exposure to these things will do to us. The land around the tank (a two mile radius if memory serves) has been declared unfit for agriculture in perpetuity. The farmer still farms it, but the govt. buys, analyses and destroys everything he produces, at market rates, by way of compensation. I've heard there are similar problems in the agricultural areas affected by last year's flooding.

Chris
Re: CATS - Mike Wolstencroft
So why don't we make more use of the 4m tonnes of LPG which is produced annually by this country. At present, we only consume 30 000 tonnes of it and virtually give the rest away to the Dutch and the French. CATS were an LA West Coast 'thing' - they work better at higher ambient temperatures than are the norm in the UK. When they don't work at their best temps. they chuck out far more water into the rest of the exhaust system - no wonder the aftermarket luv 'em !
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Stuart B
And why dont we do something with the goodness knows how many tonnes of gas that is flared off from oil wells/platforms 24/7

However whoever said is right that its not the car manufacturers that have fobbed us off with cats its the legislators who react to the various lobbyists, based on some pretty dodgy science IMHO.

Also cats dont just sort out CO/CO2 what about NOx. And in terms of greenhouse gases are we going to stop cattle and other animals including humans producing Heinz beans byproducts? Unfortunately I dont have a balanced answer, just prejudices like everyone else.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Richard Hall
Catalytic convertors are an engineering dead-end. A crude, inefficient quick fix which has totally stopped development on lean-burn technologies which have the potential to reduce harmful exhaust emissions while at the same time improving fuel consumption rather than making it worse as cats do. Not only that, the need to cut costs elsewhere to make up for the cost of the cat has resulted in the truly awful cheap and nasty fuel injection systems that make so many modern small cars unpleasant to drive. I thought you only got throttle lag in old turbo cars until I tried a Fiat Punto 1.2.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Don Hadden
"And why dont we do something with the goodness knows how many tonnes of gas that is flared off from oil wells/platforms 24/7"

Where do you think the gas you burn at home comes from? Thin air??.

I normal operations, 99% of the gas produced is exported. High flaring levels only occur during process upsets. Oil companies don't like burning money!!
Don Hadden wrote:
>
>
> Where do you think the gas you burn at home comes from? Thin
> air??.
I was meaning put it to some useful purpose rather than just flaring it off, and well you know it.

> I normal operations, 99% of the gas produced is exported.
> High flaring levels only occur during process upsets. Oil
> companies don't like burning money!!

Sure about that are you!
Stuart

Based on my dealing with oil companies, I'm sure Don is right!

Regards

John
I reckon it's the oil companies (and the OPEC governments) that are the real villains. Like the tobacco companies they know their product is bad for us in the long run, but they want to keep on shifting the stuff. Just think about the similarities between unleaded/low tar, low-sulphur/ultra-low tar, Cats/filter-tipped. So they keep bringing in new and minor fixes that they market as the answer. Then for a while we go around saying "My car is clean, because it runs on unleaded/low sulphur fuel and has a Cat." It always, but always, turns out to be nothing of the kind. As far as I remember, Thatcher backed quietly away from lean burn, I suspect because the implications in OPEC were too scary. Now I enjoy driving, and I hope to go on doing so for years, but I do not insist that my car runs on fossil fuels. It's the oil companies that do that.

Chris
John and Don,

Despite the aggressiveness of Don's post and my admittedly sharpish reply, (sorry about that Don) I'm not going to get into a peeing contest as to whether the gas conservation figure is 99% or 93% (93% is the 2000 fig I believe) its just the staggering volume of the gas that *is* vented/flared. I think folks outside what I might loosely call the energy industry do not realise the scale of things.

just to put some context on it and quote some statistics picked almost at random.

One European country (not one of the big players) has N Sea production facilities emitting 2,250*10^3 tonnes CO2 in one year just from gas, approximately 1,400*10^3 from burning the gas as fuel, the balance from flaring. Yes there has been a reduction since a decade ago, and considering production has gone up markedly its an efficiency improvement but, I submit, its still a lot of CO2.

Wells in one province in Nafta region vented/flared 1600 million cubic metres of gas in one year.

UK North Sea flares about 4.76 million cubic metres a DAY.

Sure oil industry which was once one of the most wasteful industries I had ever come across is light years better today. But I think my point still stands and I guess we will have to agree to differ.
Re: cat converters are rubbish - David W
I understand Lady Thatcher was of the same mind as Spencer years ago on the cat issue. Now there's a good subject for a sketch Spencer, and sorry if I'm using your surname in an impolite way.

Stuart and all....you'll notice this is one thread topic that I don't get involved with at all but you can help.

Woollard family......

Woodburning stove consuming Fenland "Bog Oak" which is thousands of years old.

Pre-cat diesel cars and tractors, unleaded lawnmower/chainsaw etc.

Planting thousands of hedging plants and hundreds of trees on the place.

Occasional personal flatulence.

Shetland Pony with modest output.

Enviromental input/output audit please, short report form.

David
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Mark (Brazil)
> Enviromental input/output audit please, short report form.
>
> David

You and the Shetland Pony are a disgrace to society with your irresponsible behaviour.

Mark.
Environmental facts and figures - Vin
Lest any of you lot think I am a closet green, I'm not. I simply ask you all to note what I said above; also, Jon, you are wrong. A catalytic converter DOES NOT just convert CO to CO2. It also converts unburnt hydrocarbons to CO2 and water. Hence, the lack of smell of unburnt fuel when in a traffic queue behind a catted car.
Re: Environmental facts and figures - Jon
Vin
I wrote:

> CATs actually reduce "harmful" emissions SUCH AS CO (which
> can kill you quite easily) to less harmful (to humans anyway)
> CO2. That is all they do. All engines allow some unburned
> fuel through in the form of hydrocarbons, so using that
> argument for having/not haing cats does not wash.
>
> If you want to complain about something, then it should be
> the fact that lead was removed and benzene put in. Benzene
> is far more harmful to people and animals than lead ever was.

In response to:
> Cats increase the gases we do not want mainly c02 and plenty
> of cancer causing fumes from the petrol itself.To make the
> cat we use quite rare and expensive metals and mountains of
> energy .Lean burn technology can provide a much cleaner
> engine without cats and also much more efficient .Do not
> forget cats are only any use when the engine is hot so the
> first couple of miles they shovel all sorts into the
> atmosphere.

I didn't say that they didnt convert any other gases, all i said is that they convert harmful to less harmful. I think we are saying the same thing differently.

Jon
Re: cat converters are rubbish - Dwight Van-Driver
My cat is a Siamese and it buries all its emissions............
Re: Environmental facts and figures - vin
Jon,

I'd carry this on offline, but you're email anonymous, so I can't.

"All engines allow some unburned
> fuel through in the form of hydrocarbons, so using that
> argument for having/not haing cats does not wash."

Catted engines (once hot) let through less than 1% of the unburnt fuel. So it does wash.

When they are cold, they are no worse than an uncatted engine, so hardly a reason to drop them.

See my other thread (environmental facts) ref "rare" metals. We have bigger known reserves (both in volume and years supply) of platinum than ever before.

Vin
Re: Environmental facts and figures - Chris
vin wrote:
>
> See my other thread (environmental facts) ref "rare" metals.
> We have bigger known reserves (both in volume and years
> supply) of platinum than ever before.

But we have no idea what prolonged exposure to platinum or its oxides might do to us, because it's never happened to large numbers of people before. Cats are a quick fix, and will have unwanted consequences. This is the materials equivalent of socialism - throw resources at it and the problem goes away. It doesn't work like that.

Chris
Re: Environmental facts and figures - Jon
You dont see many people wearing lead rings or jewellery do you?

I would wager that there are many more who wear platinum though. They must be oblivious to the risks.

Jon
Re: Environmental facts and figures - vin
OK, so "we don't know what platinum oxides might do to us". Your words. (And a quick look over the web gives "*prolonged* exposure to the soluble salts of platinum might cause skin and breathing allergies.")

We do know what unburnt hydrocarbons actually do to us.

So, do we prevent the attack on a known smog producing, cancer causing offensive smelling pollutant on the basis that there MIGHT be an effect from using platinum (which is almost entirely unreactive, so is unlikely to be a source of major problems)?

This thread was about whether these things are a complete waste of time. My nose tells me not.
Re: Environmental facts and figures - Chris
vin wrote:

> platinum (which is almost
> entirely unreactive, so is unlikely to be a source of major
> problems)?

You mean like lead?

Chris
Re: Environmental facts and figures - Brian
Adam wrote "Don't get me wrong, I agree the bloody things are 'orrible and were the wrong way to go in the first place, but for the moment we are stuck with them."

Agreed, they were a typical example of the government prescribing the solution rather than the result. The sensible way would have been to say "Emissions of CO, SO2, etc. must not exceed so and so" and leave it to manufacturers to use whatever method they preferred to come up with that result.

I think, however, that we are stuck with these filters for the forseeable future. Government do not like admitting that they are wrong, even less so combinations of governments. Any change would have to be by international agreement, else you would have a legal car in the UK, for example, which would be illegal on the other side of the Channel.
Re: Environmental facts and figures - Mike Wolstencroft
Also, lean burn technology is more economical on fuel than using a cat - so that's why the oil company lobby were so active in the Euro Parliament - oh, and the Germans owned most of the mineral sources ( Rhodium etc) needed for making the ....... things. It's a naughty world out there.