Forget ice scrapers... - Mad Maxy
... on a cold and frosty morning to clear windsceen etc. Get a kettle - or other container - of MODERATELY WARM and pour over front and rear screens, side windows and mirrors. Start engine, wipe screen and go.

Quick, convenient and safe too - the water heats up the glass and prevents misting. Simple.
Forget ice scrapers... - madf
or buy a car with a froont screen heater: a Ford?:-)

madf

Forget ice scrapers... - Garethj
Be careful when doing this, if you accidently pour warm water over the door locks when clearing the side windows the water can freeze later in the day and lock you out when you try to leave work in the frosty evening.

Don't ask me how I know!

Gareth
Forget ice scrapers... - patently
Don't ask me how I know!

I took a wild guess instead...

I find the water trick is useful for the REALLY cold mornings when you can't even open the door to get at the scraper. Even cold water will work, for those who worry about getting it a bit hot and doing nasty things to the glass.
Forget ice scrapers... - BazzaBear {P}
On really cold days I tend to use warm water, wipe, then apply some de-icer, to stop it re-freezing.
Forget ice scrapers... - pdc {P}
Be careful when doing this, if you accidently pour warm water
over the door locks when clearing the side windows the water
can freeze later in the day and lock you out when
you try to leave work in the frosty evening.

Don't think I've actually used the key to open a car in 6 years now. How quaintly 20th century!
>> Be careful when doing this, if you accidently pour warm
water over the door locks when clearing the side windows the
water can freeze later in the day and lock you out
when you try to leave work in the frosty evening.
Don't think I've actually used the key to open a car in 6 years now. How quaintly 20th century!

No, it actually froze the lock mechanism - the part that the solenoid moves to release the lock bar! I'm moving to California next winter as long as I can still commute to London.

Gareth
Forget ice scrapers... - THe Growler
...move to a warmer climate. 91° F today. Sorry, really I am....
Thank you for that. We really wanted to know.

;-)
Forget ice scrapers... - No Do$h
For the ultimate in deicing discussion, I refer the learned contributors to www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=10706 It\'s one of many threads on the subject, but I\'m sure it will keep you busy for 5 minutes.

Growler, you really know how to cheer people up, don\'t you?

Git......

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Who's worried about scraping anyway?

All you need to do is clear a little credit-card-size peephole in front of the driver, on the evidence of the oter drivers most mornings...
Funny you should say that. I took a picture of my car when we were on holiday last month. Covered in several inches of snow, so I cleared the driver's window and a letterbox slit on the driver's side of the screen (just for the 'photo you understand). Must get round to posting it sometime soon.
Forget ice scrapers... - THe Growler
LOL send you some pics if you like....
I bet!

My pics are still on the camera so won't be able to upload until the weekend at the earliest.
Forget ice scrapers... - HF
What's a 'holiday'?
it's a bit like being at home only it costs more and nobody understands you.

Scrub that last one, that's exactly like being at home.
Forget ice scrapers... - trancer
"...move to a warmer climate. 91° F today. Sorry, really I am...."

Don't be, I actually feel sorry for you. I would take frozen screens over heat and humidity any day. When living in Florida, I used to spend hundreds of dollars a year to air condition my home and car to the temps I currently here enjoy for free. 8-)
Forget ice scrapers... - L'escargot
... on a cold and frosty morning to clear windsceen etc.
Get a kettle - or other container - of MODERATELY WARM
and pour over front and rear screens, side windows and mirrors.

Alternatively, why not just start the engine, set the heater to "Screen", turn the blower on full, turn on the rear screen heater (and front screen heater if you've got a Ford with one) and sit back and be patient. Much easier than messing about with kettles of hot water.

What's the point of paying to have all these goodies on a car if you don't use them?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Forget ice scrapers... - Cliff Pope
Alternatively, why not just start the engine, set the heater to
"Screen", turn the blower on full, turn on the rear screen
heater (and front screen heater if you've got a Ford with
one) and sit back and be patient.

>

Sit and wait thinking about premature cylinder wear and shortened catalyst life!

I just open the garage doors, jump in, and drive off.
Forget ice scrapers... - L'escargot
>> Alternatively, why not just start the engine, set the heater
to
>> "Screen", turn the blower on full, turn on the rear
screen
>> heater (and front screen heater if you've got a Ford
with
>> one) and sit back and be patient.
>>
>
>>
Sit and wait thinking about premature cylinder wear and shortened catalyst
life!
I just open the garage doors, jump in, and drive off.

Me too.

I was just offering a suggestion for those who either
(a)don't have a garage, or (b)are too idle to put their car in their garage, or (c) use their garage for purposes other than garaging their car ~ which begs the question as to why this group still call it a garage.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
I took a novel approach to ice clearance and cold journeys this morning. I walked 200yds from my brother's place (where I stay when I'm working in London) and hopped on a nice warm bus to the tube, then sat in comfort all the way to St Pauls before a nice stroll across the Wobbly (millenium) Bridge to work in Southwark. Beautiful morning and lovely to see the sun popping up through the mist over the Thames, highlighting Tower Bridge like that.

::sigh::

Who say's Londoner's have a poor standard of living?

Ah well, back to work.
Forget ice scrapers... - BobbyG
ND, how dare you mention walking, bus and tube on a motoring forum!!!

Go wash your mouth out and face the back of the class for the rest of the day!!

Oh, I'd better put a wee :) in, just in case you or Growler think I am being deadly serious!!!!!!!
Smiley wee. Now that conjures an image best filed under "Do not disturb"
to the tube, then sat in comfort all the way to St Pauls >>

In comfort? On the tube? Are you a tube driver or do I have to look for the "BLUFF" card?

Gareth
The secret on the Central line is to get on at West Ruislip, pick the second seat along (so you don't get rammed against the glass partition), open your paper and ignore the world until you get to your stop. I've perfected staring at nothing in particular but can call on "total vacancy", "slightly mad" and "giggling whilst picking nervously at one glove"*, all of which guarantee that you are left unmolested for the entire trip.

(*This one is all the more effective in the summer. Sitting there with one glove on whilst nervously staring about you guarantees a good deal of space.)
Forget ice scrapers... - NorthernKev {P}
And if they get through and decide to sit/stand next to you, then start talking to them about actually being a goat. Almost guaranteed to make them move or bail at the next stop...

Or remove all unpleasent bodily odours before getting to work...

Kev
Forget ice scrapers... - tobyn
i used to spot an old guy who always got half a carriage to himself - he dribbled, sang, drank special brew, scratched himself repeatedly and obviously hadn't had a wash in days - whether he was genuine or was just a great actor determined to get space around him i don't know...
Forget ice scrapers... - MikeF
What's all this scraping business? I set the time on the pre-heater on my SAAB, and in the morning it is frost free and warm inside; possibly the best feature I've ever had on a car.
Forget ice scrapers... - Oz
I set the time on the pre-heater on my SAAB, and in the
morning it is frost free and warm inside

Out of interest, is this by the same component manufacturer that works with BMW i.e. Webasto? or maybe Eberspächer? There have been threads on car pre-heaters in the past, including the mains-powered type from Kenlowe.
Oz (as was)
Forget ice scrapers... - J Bonington Jagworth
"car pre-heaters"

Best thing I can think of to preserve engine life, which presumably is why most manufacturers don't offer them...