Oil Consumption on motorbike - Greg R
Oil Consumption on motorbike

I have a motorbike/ scooter with a 125cc 4 stroke engine and it seems to use some oil. In town, it uses none whilst on longer 70 miles + journeys of higher speeds (50-60mph) it can use a little oil (perhaps less than a quarter on the small dip stick between the low and max marks).

The bike has been serviced from new with oil changes every 1000-2000 miles. It only has 17000 miles on the clock. I did once overfill the oil a little and rode for 100 miles after which I drained it. Could this be the cause?

My question is: is it normal, how can I stop this and should I worry about it?

Thoughts appreciated.
Greg
Oil Consumption on motorbike - Nick Field
I've owned a number of 4 strokes over the years. Some engines use a bit of oil, some don't. If the engine sounds and runs OK and the oil consumption stays the same - I'd be inclined to live with it.

Nick
Oil Consumption on motorbike - Kingpin
Sounds about right to me. I used to have a Honda CG125 and after a long run and flat out speeds of 65mph the oil level on the dipstick had gone down slightly. I think single cylinder engines use a bit of oil especially when at maximum speeds.
Nothing to worry about so long as you keep it topped up once a week. If it was serious oil burning you would have noticed it on the spark plug colour and condition, and probably smoke from the exhaust.
Oil Consumption on motorbike - Greg R
acanthus: out of interest, does the CG have a rev counter.
Also, on you bike how long do brake pads and tyres last?
Oil Consumption on motorbike - doug_523i
My 750 uses approximately 1 litre per 1,000 miles, I have to top it up twice a week. In general, there's no obvious smoke from the exhaust, but the back of the bike has a nicotine-like stain on the seat unit and the tailend of the exhaust. My other bike, 1,000cc I've only had to top up once in over four years, and that was only because the oil light comes on if it isn't over the maximum in the sight glass. I wouldn't worry unless/until it gets worse.