Fiat brake calipers (Punto 1995) - Crinkly Dave
Hi
Halfords had a special offer on Porter manuals last week, so I bought a combined one for the Punto, Tempra,bravo, brava etc
I changed the front pads on my Punto, after moving the pistons back in using my trusty (50 yr old) G clamp. I ave done this a couple of times on this model without problems
When I looked through the Porter manual it stressed it was vital to screw the piston as you pushed it back,even recommending a special Sykes Pickavant tool.
Now I can see that this should give the seals an easier time, but you would have to be careful to make sure the boots allowed the piston to rotate.
What do you think. Essential, a good idea, or confusing abs brakes with "conventional" ones.
Fiat brake calipers (Punto 1995) - greaser pv
The internal "seals" of most front calipers are of a square -section design ( and are affixed into the housing ) i.e. not the same as rear wheel cylinder seals which are around the pistons .Unsure why they say to rotate pistons whilst pushing back, never done it myself in 25 years. If the piston is seizing inside the bore then that is a different kettle of fish !. And replacing rear pads on some cars it is necessary to rotate the piston because of the internal adjusting mechanism.
Fiat brake calipers (Punto 1995) - Crinkly Dave
Ta greaser, that's what I thought
I still have my special tool for the rear brakes of my Rover 2000