New Vectra Cam belt - kal
I recently inquired at a GM dealer about the timing belt design of the new vectra and was dissapomnted when told that it requires changing at 4 years or 40,000 miles. Surely this smscks of low quality design specifications designed to keep garages busy. Back in 93 when the Ford Mondeo was first produced it to has rubber belt which was superior in both design and construction and can last up to 60-80k, the new Mondeao has a chain cam as well as a large number of Japanese and German cars.

What do you think ......any comments would be appreciated.
New Vectra Cam belt - DL
Yeah....it does seem to be a rather short period of time.....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
New Vectra Cam belt - Dynamic Dave
Back in '93 Vaux also had cambelt change intervals at 80k, but as some didn't go the distance, Vaux lowered the interval to 40k / 4 yrs. Reason being I believe is that not all people were clocking up 80k over 4 yrs, and some people were ignoring the fact that the belt still needed changing at 4yrs regardless of how little mileage was covered.

All the Vectra diesels are camchain, as well as the 2.2 and 3.2 litre engines, btw.
New Vectra Cam belt - SjB {P}
...and don't forget the rollers, tensioner, and (recommended, I think) the water pump should also be changed at the same 40k interval.

In recent years, I have heard of many a Vauxhall where the belt was dutifully changed , but the aforementioned components weren't, and a few months later, bang, one wrecked engine.

BTW, I ran two V6 Vectras for mileages each in to the 60k mark, and on both occasions, the leasco 'took a chance' and didn't go to the expense of changing the cambelt & gubbins. When the latter car (a hugely enjoyed GSi Estate) went to auction, it was just starting to make the whine on cold start up that I am told is the first indication that the belt really ought to be changed! I hope the new owner did so!
New Vectra Cam belt - DL
Ah......so a lease-car isn't always a safe buy with FSH then!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link