Toyota Yaris gearbox whine - R G Jackson
The gearbox in our four month old Yaris is emitting a high pitched whine at certain r.p.m. This was diagnosed by Toyota as a Manufacturing defect but two months later we are still no nearer obtaining a repair due to lack of parts. We are told by the dealership that another customer has had the same problem since October 2000 and that parts are still not available to repair his vehicle. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Richard Jackson.
Re: Toyota Yaris gearbox whine - KB
Yes, I imported several (Auto and Manual) and noticed a whine at 50 mph on a couple of them. Local Main Dealer said they've not had any complaints. The 1.3 Auto that I have now is perfect. It does to be seem a matter of luck.
Rgds KB.
Re: Toyota Yaris gearbox whine - mike walker
My wife has had a 1.3 auto since Jan 2000 with no gearbox whine problems - perhaps it's not detectable in the fast walking speed Cambridge traffic.
Re: Toyota Yaris gearbox whine - honest john
I'm watching this thread. If we get any more manual Yaris whines I'll post it under 'what's bad' in the car by car breakdown. I've got one under long-term test by the most critical test driver in the World: my mum.

HJ
Re: Toyota Yaris gearbox whine - paul
HJ
Following advice(including your oblique recommendation), my mum's also picking up a new 10.L GS later on this month. Keep you posted on the various whines that ensue...