Focus for 5-series - Phil P
I need some guidance!

I'm considering changing my 1999 Focus 2.0 Ghia hatch, which I've owned for nearly 3 years, for something a bit bigger as the missus and I are planning on going for child no.2 in the very near future..

I'm not interested in estates, MPVs, 4x4s, or anything French (nothing against the nationality just don't trust the build quality), and prefer my cars to lean more toward sporty handling than cushy ride.

I originally considered getting a year-or-so old Mondeo or similar, but I'm now enthralled with the idea of getting something a bit more special, in particular the 2000> BMW 520i (2.2) SE manual, which is the revised E39 with the "halo" effect headlights.

What I'm somewhat afraid of though is that I'd be condeming myself to 3 years (the minimum time I intend to keep it) of large bills. To get one of these within my budget I'm looking at cars with 65k + miles under their wheels.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
Focus for 5-series - Dude - {P}
The car you buy must have full BMW service history and also preferably bought from a main dealer as well, which will give you the added assurance that the vehicle has not been badly damaged in any previous accidents, under their assured used car scheme.

Providing the vehicle has been regularly serviced, there is no reason at all why the Beemer should cost a lot more than your Ford, other than for the cost of synthetic oil which is recommended (Castrol SLX or Mobil 1).

In fact a friend of mine ran an E39 530i over 170k miles in 4 years, after a previous 2 litre Ford Mondeo, and the BMW (because it suffered no major mechanical breakdown) worked out actually cheaper to service over the 4 years than Mondeo.

A 520i should also reach close to 30 mpg with reasonably sensible driving, - in fact my son ran the same 170 bhp 2.2 litre engine in a 320Ci and regularly got 34 mpg, which I reckon is close to what you would get from the Focus.!!
Hey Dude! Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately the BMW main dealer is not an option due to budgetary contraints, although I'll certainly be looking for a full BMW service history as you recommend.

Infact from the figures I've seen the fuel consumption of the 520i 2.2 is almost identical to that of my Focus 2.0! Ideally I'd have liked to go for a diesel but sadly they're WAY out of my price range..
Focus for 5-series - Pugugly {P}
Buy the BMW. You will either love it or hate it. If you love it it will be the start of a beautiful friendship that will last for the rest of your motoring days. Buy one if you can from a dealer, get the best history you can, get it inspected before you buy and buy a decent warranty (from this site perhaps ??)but above all enjoy it.
Well judging by the 330D I've been driving over the past week I think it's likely to be more toward the love, unless my bank balance takes a mortal blow... :oD

Going to look at one tomorrow (520i), fingers crossed!!
Focus for 5-series - Dude - {P}
Keep us posted as to the outcome, - as P.U. has mentioned, once you have driven one, it will hopefully be the start of a long friendship as nothing else comes close. !!!!!
Focus for 5-series - Wales Forester
You may find that the attitude of other motorists, pedestrians and some members of the general public will change for the worse if you get the BMW.

My father treated himself to a brand new 3 series in 2001 and sold it after a matter of months after it had been egged leaving it requiring a paint job and after noticing that people weren't being quite as accomodating on the road as they used to be when he had his Toyota.

Just an observation, I realise it may not matter to most folks.

PP
Focus for 5-series - Androo
They are good cars (I have a 523) and I would like a bit more power but it drives very well for a car of that size. Very, very well.

As for nothing coming close, my wife, who has been a passenger far more than a driver, won't allow a change to another marque. I have to decide whether to take a company car soon and if it can't be a BMW she says it can't be a company car.

Andrew
Focus for 5-series - Wales Forester
No offence, but that sounds very much like badge snobbery and nothing else!

PP
I wish it were, then I could have an excuse to buy all those expensive gadgets that are branded but no real use. It is very difficult to justify upgrading my computer, or anything else for that matter, when "the current one works OK, doesn't it?"

My family is very value driven, partly I think because she is from behind the Iron Curtain and had to learn to buy stuff that was going to last. The BMW is certainly lasting well despite many, many miles. Mind you so is my mother-in-laws Trabant and 25 year old Dacia.

Andrew
Focus for 5-series - carayzee
Phil - you're just trying to justify what you know to be true.
Get the 5-series :o)
I would look for slightly bigger engined example though,a 2.8 drinks as much fuel as a 2.2 as they are a heavy car, 1800kg plus. The Touring versions do a lot better on depreciation longterm.
Thanks for your input guys - I've put a deposit down on the car!!

2001-X 520i (2.2) SE manual, 67k on the clock, 1 owner, immaculate exterior, interior a little worse for wear due to a smoker (but should clean up nicely) and all for £11,999!

Initially offered £4,300 part-ex for my Focus, managed to get it up to £4,999 :oD

Only downsides are, despite a full BMW service history it's gonna be due one very soon (which I'm sure won't be cheap!), and also no CD player (haven't used tapes for years) which I'll have to rectify in time.

I'm aware of the negative image BMW's portray, and what with my private reg to transfer over (wedding gift) I'm not gonna be making many friends on the road methinks..

Should be collecting Monday :o)
Sounds great. Enjoy it.

On the subject of the CD player. The car should be wired up for a 6 CD change in the left hand side of the boot. They are £250 from a dealer last time I asked and are really rebadged Alpine units. Or you can search on the internet and get a much cheaper Sony with a conversion box. Not sure it fits in the bracket though.
Well I collected the car Sunday, and it's great (though as you'd expect it feels pretty large on the road, and when parking, after the Focus!).

Bought it from Carland in Enfield, who's service I'm afraid to say has left something to be desired. Basically at least two of the salesmen made statements or promises which have turned out to be untrue or not actioned after chasing. Time for some retraining there methinks...

One example is that upon first viewing the drivers-side wiper blade wasn't contacting the screen correctly. I was told it would be sorted when I collected. Upon arriving to collect it was no different. Was then told the wiper arm was bent and for my convenience I would be contacted to arrange a replacement locally. Upon chasing today found the person due to call me knew nothing about it, who initially then suggested I return it to a branch of Carland. Anyway we've agreed that I'll get it done at a BMW dealer and send them the invoice for a refund.

Rang round BMW dealers for "Inspection 2" (major) service quotes yesterday. Prices ranged from £405 down to £270, all inclusive. You can guess which one I'm booked in at, and they even had one of the earliest availability slots for a courtesy car!

Time now to bid on an eBay auction for a BMW CD changer...
Focus for 5-series - CM
I hope you get on well with the 5er. I have the estate version and could not see how SWMBO could fit everything in a saloon!

As for servicing costs I suppose it depends on whether you have to stick to the dealer network. Remember that in a few months time the car will be 4 years old and you should be able to get reduced rates via BMW using their 4Plus programme (in order to try and stop their customres going elsewhere for servicing).
Focus for 5-series - Pugugly {P}
Having driven 3s for many years, I find the "accidental" 5 that I ended up with last year attracts far less hostile attention...
and yes it is on private plates.

Looking forward to the new five due soon.
Focus for 5-series - smokie
private plates for a wedding gift??? In my day, you asked for practical stuff, like pots and pans...!
Ok I'll come clean - I chose them, and the missus was quite keen too! :o)