Seized distributor - vw golf, mk2 - golfer49
The distributor on my Golf Mk 2 has seized in the block, and I can\'t get the timing right. Can anyone suggest how to free it without getting penetrating oil into places it shouldn\'t be? Or would it be OK to use penetrating oil then do an oil change afterwards?

Seized distributor - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The reason they sieze in the block is because they very rarely need moving. The only time I have ever had occasion to move one is when the cambelt has been changed and the jackshaft which drives the distributor is misaligned. However, that aside, dribble some diesel around the base of the dist and leave it for a day or two whilst driving the car around to get a bit of heat into the equation for good measure. You may still then have to carefully apply a blunt chisel to the base of the dist to try and get it to start rotating. DONT try and force the distributor out of the block by driving a chisel underneath. Once out clean the distributor and the hole in the block with wet n dry and smother the mating surfaces with copper grease.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Seized distributor - Dizzy {P}
Sounds like the usual good advice from Andrew. I agree that diesel fuel is an excellent alternative to penetrating oil and I would use whichever is most convenient.

If you were expecting copious amounts of penetrating oil (or diesel fuel) to enter the engine then I think it would be a good idea to time the work just prior to an oil change. However I would be extremely surprised if there will be enough of it to harmfully contaminate the engine oil so I wouldn't worry about it.
Seized distributor - golfer49
Many thanks for those suggestions. I'll go to work on it.