Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Stuart B
Posted this as part of another thread lower down, realised after it will probably be missed so apologies to all for a repeat, well repeats are OK when it comes to the box.

To follow up on another thread from ages ago about how to improve the profile of the site, how about a Backroomers team in Scrapheap Challenge on C4? Must be some ace bodgers......er..... inventive engineers out there. What d'ya fink guys n gals?
chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - Mark (Brazil)
I'd love to. I can weld but I don't know anything about engines which comes after pushrods, tappets and points gaps. But count me in for welding pieces of metal to each other, just so long as you don't want me to understand why.

Still, I could probably carry the ice box for the rest of you
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - ladas are cool
i would love to do something like this, i was wondering about putting a robot into robot wars, but scrapheap challenge is much better, what do other people think about the idea :-)
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - Jon
I think you will not be in the team
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - John
Jon Ihope you don't have kids. I think you would spoil all their fun. Things had improved a lot lately but that comment wasn't justified IMO
John
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - Jon
John

I wasn't being malicious. I was merely pointing out that it is highly unlikely that others in the forum would accept Chris in a scrapheap challenge team (despite his technical knowledge - see citroen bx sunroof). This applies especially to Stuart B (they have a special relationship).

Jon
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - Stuart B
Jon wrote:
>
> John
>
> I wasn't being malicious. I was merely pointing out that it
> is highly unlikely that others in the forum would accept
> Chris in a scrapheap challenge team (despite his technical
> knowledge - see citroen bx sunroof). This applies especially
> to Stuart B (they have a special relationship).
>
> Jon

Potentially this thread unfortunately has gone the way of a lot of threads down the pan. I was just trying to gauge if there was enough interest from Forum members to see if it was a worthwhile proposition or just another duff idea. Also are there any other things that we might like to do, charity drive round UK coast? Le Jog? Beaujolais run? you name it?

As far as team membership is concerned let me make my position quite clear and this is my only stipulation.

I am NOT and will not put myself up as a team member in any way, I believe there are others far far more qualified and able than me. Plus on a purely personal and selfish issue as long as I can keep away from the pointy end of cameras esp TV/videos the happier I am.

If Chris wants to be in any team then providing he can hold up his end of the deal then I really have no problem with that. Mind you Hj's trilby as team headgear would be a bit naff. Be nice to have a mixed team though.
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - Dan J
Sounds like a good idea to me and a nice sociable one at that. I think doing some kind of drive (perhaps charity) as you suggest is great because anyone who wishes to participate/meet all these other "posters" can do so regardless of technical or driving (so no rallies just yet methinks!) ability. Your suggestions were good and I'm pretty easy on that score and would go along with any of them and would hope that a pub would be involved at some point whatever the decision!

Anyone got any further comments on the suggestion? Maybe even HJ and Martyn would join in!
Re: chasing Stuart around the Backroom... - David W
Stuart,

I've mentioned the Scrapheap Challenge to the good lady.....one of those stares came back!

She advises me to look in the yard and complete some of my own scrapheap challenges first.

I was shamed into getting out to the workshop and assembling the Land Rover diesel engine bottom end. So at least your post has done some good, that had been in bits for months.

David
Re: Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Alyn Beattie
Perhaps we can do something with Landrovers , there seems to be enough of us interested in them. Over to you David W
Re: Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Stu
"how to improve the profile of the site..."

How about merchandise, t-shirt, window sticker?

Also quite like the idea of an anonymous rear sticker for backroomers, such at a small HJ trilby icon to raise a smile for those in the know. Cult?
Re: Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Jon
I didn't mean to subvert the post.

I would be all for some sort of event (economy drive perhaps). I have already suggested window stickers. Not only would this distinguish other back room users, but would be free advertisement for this site.

Would some geographical info be required?
Re: Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Rebecca
I'd be a disaster in any 'event' that we might do, but even I can work out how to put a window sticker on (despite having sworn I would never put stickers on my car). Just spare us from the 'Backroomers do it...honestly' type thing please!
Re: Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Martyn (Back Room Moderator)
Rebecca wrote:
>
> Just spare us
> from the 'Backroomers do it...honestly' type thing please!

Now now, Rebecca. That is getting waspish!
Rebecca - David W
Is Rebecca "your Rebecca" on the team (Rebecca G)?

David
Re: Rebecca - Mark (Brazil)
> Is Rebecca "your Rebecca" on the team (Rebecca G)?

Wot ?
Re: Rebecca - Mark (Brazil)
oh I see.

If it is, I'd like to know why its "crabecca". Bad tempers/moods ?
Re: Rebecca - Kev
Ok, I have no idea what you are on about? Can someone please enlighten me please
Thanks in advance
Kev
Re: Rebecca - Martyn (Back Room Moderator)
Ah, I understand. No, delightful though our Rebecca is, she is not The Back Room's Rebecca. Nor, technically, is she still on the team.

(For those who don't understand, I suspect DW was referring here to Rebecca Gerlings, a charming editor who helped me put the mammoth volume of text and information in order when honestjohn.co.uk was being constructed; as such she merits a credit in The Small Print under 'Editorial Extras'. And I, too, asked 'Why "crabecca"?' for her email address, and yes, Mark, it is because she tends to be crabby in the mornings. So I am told!)
Re: Rebecca - David W
Rebecca,

Sorry to try and chase you down. As there are so few girls here, and Rebecca was on the site credits, I wondered if a post a week was part of the contract with Martyn to keep the stats up.

David
Re: Improving HJ site profile on the telly. - Andy
Hasn't the idea of a drive been done before? By loads of very slow lorry and tractor drivers up and down the M1 last summer, meaning that there was no fuel left for anyone else to get to work... Rebecca's crazy tractor driver in Hampshire could even be invited.

Andy
Publicity. - Dave
Let's meet up at my place, get utterly wasted, and race down to Brigton.

Should get us in the papers. ;-)
Re: Rebecca - Rebecca
Whereas I am very much a morning person.