Focus Diesel - Snakey
I have an annoying problem with my 02 Focus Tdi - when started from cold there is a squealing which sounds a bit like a fanbelt slipping which disappears after a few minutes - the belt has been replaced and a mechanic has checked all the pulleys etc and can't identify which one might be causing the noise as they're so close together.

Has anyone heard of one of the pulleys or tensioner being a common failure point on these? Its an 02 1.8Tdi, and I dont fancy replacing each pulley one by one to get rid of the noise!

Focus Diesel - Sooty Tailpipes
Can you see the pullies? or are they all shrouded in?
If you can see them, while it's making the noise, try pouring warm water with a dash of soap in it onto the belts to see which one if any cure the squealing.
Focus Diesel - Ian D
If Sooty's plan does not work and it is not the belt it may be one of the tensioners or pulley bearings. I had this on my car and I switched the engine off, squirted the cambelt tensioner centre with a dash of WD40, started up, noise still there, switched off, squirted alternator bearing, started up, noise still there etc etc, got to water pump and a squirt on the bearing temporarily stopped noise so problem located and water pump replaced later.
Focus Diesel - Snakey
Thanks for the replies - I guess I'll try the detection methods, access to the pulleys is really tight which is the only problem

I'll let you know what I find out!