Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Ben {P}
I presently own a 2000W Mondeo 2ltr GLX. I was happily driving along today, when the petrol light came on. I pulled into the next decent petrol station (Shell), and filled the tank. I put 59.08 litres in the car. When i arrived home i had a look in the handbook for the car. It states that the tank capacity is 58.5 litres. Which is correct, the handbook or the pump? And if the pump is incorrect, what can i do about it?

Ben
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - PR {P}
This happened to a friend of mine at the local supermarket. He realised and told them at the till. He then took his handbook and reciept in and showed them. They took his word that the light had just come on so (the handbook said) that he had 7l in reserve, plus the 5 or so litres above the tank capacity and they refunded him (and told the pump repair man!)
If you've got your receipt, take it in with the handbook
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - looking4car
Does the handbook specify the capacity of the hose from filler cap to tank. Surely this is more than half a litre.
Looking4car- the point is that when the light comes on in a mondeo there is usually about 7 litres left in the tank. Therefore my tank should now have 7 + 59= 66 litres in there which i doubt.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - CM
I always thought that trading standards took their weights and measures along to do regular checks.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Imagos
the manufactors specifacation for fuel tank capacity is probably to the first click on petrol pump in order to prevent overfilling.
did you try and get more petrol in after the first click??

if you did then there is the discepacy.

even if you didnt we are only talking about half a litre here, what 40p?

which is probably what you can get in the filler neck.

sorry about spelling its about time we had spellchecker in backroom,i had a poor education...
Filled to first click.

If there was 7 litres in there i should of put in 51.5 litres. What happened was the pump has charged me for 59 litres in addition to the 7 litres i beleived to be in my tank. For the pump to be correct i must of had -0.5 litres if the handbook is accurate. I think i am out of pocket by about £6- agreed it is not much, just wondered how to get these things checked and whether manual was wrong.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Mark (RLBS)
tell weights and measures, you'll find they take it pretty seriously.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Dynamic Dave
its about time we had spellchecker in backroom,

See the Spell checker posts in I have a question Volume 29

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18962

There are a few mentioned there.

Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - PR {P}
I would think that the figure quoted in the handbook (tank size)would be quite accurate, if a batch of smaller or larger tanks came they wouldnt they have difficulty fitting them?

Trading standards do check regularly bu they can still go wrong!
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - AdrianM
Can't speak with any authority on petrol tanks in cars but from working in industries using large holding vessels for all sorts of liquids - the actual capacity is often around 5-10% greater than the stated capacity, I guess to allow for overfilling by gonks but primarily to allow fluctuations in volume due to temp.
right ok you filled to first click,

your tank wouldn't have changed size by itself so i would say that YES you have been ripped off.

your first course of action is go back to the garage. forget the person on the till ask for the manager.

if he or she doesn't want to know then a visit to the trading standards is in order,take your reciept and handbook with you.

it will be interresting to see how you get on, good luck!
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Ivor E Tower
Before you all start panicking...
There is a tolerance on tank sizes too, due to manufacturing variations. Try the same thing at another garage. If you can also get more than the tank holds, then the tank is simply "generously proportioned". I've had this with a previous car - got more fuel in (and with no warning light fitted either) than the tank was supposed to hold.
i was suprised by the amount i got in as i have had three mondeo previous to this one, and none held anything like the amount of fuel i allegedly have in my car now.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - kithmo
i was suprised by the amount i got in as i
have had three mondeo previous to this one, and none held
anything like the amount of fuel i allegedly have in my
car now.

My first Mondeo a Mk1 1.8, held 63 litres according to the handbook. Don't forget the mondeo tanks are plastic and have quite a large amount of expansion when they get warmer. I would suspect the capacity quoted would be the maximum amount you would expect to get in when the tank was cold, without the filler neck.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Jonathan {p}
>>If you can also get more than the tank holds, then the tank is simply "generously proportioned".

Don't be coy about it you're calling his tank FAT aren't you!?!?!

;-)
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - martint123
My filler hose/pipe holds around 5 liters.
The capacity of a tank is measured dry. when you fill it there can be quite a lot of deformation, allowing it to hold more than you think.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Simon
I reckon that you will find that it is a combination of the tank holding slightly more fuel than its stated size, coupled with the fact that the maufacturer will only be quoting the capacity of the tank and not the extra fuel that can be held in the filler neck.

I worked in a garage for five years that also had a petrol forecourt and it is highly unlikely that the pump is wrong. They are checked by the weights and measures people on a very regular basis and in those five years I can never remeber an occasion where any of the pumps were found to be giving short measures. But every once in a while, someone would complain about a pump not being right, which would then be sealed off until it had been checked by the weights and measures people. And as I said before the pumps were always OK.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - nick
And does anyone trust a warning light to come on when it should, with exactly 7 litres or whatever left? Going round a long bend in the road could cause it to come on, or going up or down a long hill. I bet the tank will hold more than the book says too.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - BobbyG
I will ditto what Simon says, fuel pumps are extremely accurate. They are regularly checked and the fine for having a faulty one would wipe out the profit from a filling station in one go!
...hmmm. Tonight I let the needle on my 406 get almost down to the red. The warning light came on as I stopped at the pump. Proceeded to fit 70.33litres into my 70 litre tank!!
...now, where's that handbook?
Proceeded to fit 70.33litres
into my 70 litre tank!!
...now, where's that handbook?

54 quid ish ouch!!

where's that cheque book you mean..
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Wales Forester
The handbook for my 2000 'X' (MK2) Mondeo 1.8 Zetec states a tank capacity of 61.5 litres.
I can't see yours being smaller in 2.0 form Ben?!

PP
Thanks perfect peter. I e-mailed shell about it. Today i received an e-mail that says they contacted ford regarding the tank capacity! Ford concured that my 2000 "W" reg has the 58.5 litre tank. They say ford told them that the filler neck can hold up to a maximum of two litres. I presume this is filled to the cap. I think for there explanation to be correct, my petrol warning light must be faulty, and i arrived at the station with less than 1 litre of fuel in the car. I doubt this is possible. After reading the information kindly posted above, i think there is a very slight error on the pump which only amounted to £1-2, so nothing to worry about.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - Wales Forester
Thats strange as we've both got 2000 models, I'm sure my previous 2000 W reg had the same 61.5 capacity stated on the back of the handbook.

I've managed to get just on 60 litres into the X reg when I got caught out with the nearest garage a while ago so mine's definitely got the capacity it says.

PP

Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - pdc {P}
error on the pump which only amounted to £1-2, so nothing
to worry about.

except that you are one of hundreds of people using that pump each week. That's an awful lot of money for nothing to the petrol station.
Ouch indeed, but good for very nearly 800 miles.
Petrol pumps- have i been ripped off? - redafour
I presently own a 2000W Mondeo 2ltr GLX. I was happily
driving along today, when the petrol light came on. I pulled
into the next decent petrol station (Shell), and filled the tank.
I put 59.08 litres in the car. When i arrived home
i had a look in the handbook for the car. It
states that the tank capacity is 58.5 litres. Which is correct,
the handbook or the pump? And if the pump is incorrect,
what can i do about it?
Ben
Suppose the pump could be inaccurate but i can regulary get 67 litres in a 62 litre A4 tank .Mind you i do that by pressing in the air valve in the filler neck.you can hear the whoosh of air escape the tank leaving more room for fuel.I should add my car is a diesel Im not sure i`d want to overfill a tank with volatile petrol though!