Tiptronic Gearboxes - Sinjun
Excuse the novice question but can anyone explain the difference between Tiptronic and the normal Auto box ?
For instance, can a Tiptronic be set in auto drive and left to it ?
Thanks for your help.
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - honest john
Yes. You can just leave it in auto mode or slide the lever over to the 'tip' position where you must, against the laws of physics, move the lever forward to change up and backwards to change down.

HJ
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - Sinjun
Thanks for that.
Further question though, can it be driven on an auto only licence ?
I presume so.
Regards.honest john wrote:
>
> Yes. You can just leave it in auto mode or slide the lever
> over to the 'tip' position where you must, against the laws
> of physics, move the lever forward to change up and backwards
> to change down.
>
> HJ
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - Michael
yes, i think so. Its still an auto with no clutch.
Tiptronic Gearboxes - David Lacey
I'm amazed by the back-to-front lever action i.e tip the lever foward to change up a gear and tip backward to change down. Surely the other way round is more logical?

David
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Forward to Go, backward to SLOW. Most racing applications follow this rule.

It's the way I have my game console set up !!

Regards, Adam
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - Andrew Bairsto
A bit like the old daf 33/44s only simpler forward to go forward and back to go back.And a good daf mechanic could change the belts in an hour.
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - Andy P
Some of these "clutchless manual" gearboxes use two separate levers, a la Ferrari 360F1, Pull the right lever forwards to change up, pull the left lever forwards to change down. It takes a bit of getting used to, and I personally prefer a manual, but on a 360 I could live with either!

Andy
Re: Tiptronic Gearboxes - Tomo
It's what you are used to. On bikes, right-hand change, down for up was second nature to me (they had it wrong on Triumphs). On my retirement bike (a Yamaha Turbo of ludicrous weight) the brake and change were of course on the wrong side as well; I managed, except when flustered, as with a 38-tonner up my tail at a roundabout or the anti-motoring fuzz behind (I suppose I am permitted to just mention the dear chaps?); then the conditioning of old tended to take over, which could be awkward.