Golf MkII Central Locking - Jimma
I have a 1991 driver with pneumatic central locking. Up 'til now, the locking mechanisms have been working sporadically. Recently however, the pump makes a noise in the boot and nothing happens.

This wouldn't be much of a problem, had the fuel filler cap latch not locked!

Consequently, I can't fill her up.

Any ideas?

Should I just prise it open?

thanks

frustrated jim
Golf MkII Central Locking - Tim Allcott
I used to run a Passat with the same system. I think you can remove the boot lining trim near the filler neck and access the system to free it that way. Do you have a Haynes manual?
Tim{P}
Yeah, I will have a read through it today.

Did you have a similar problem then? How did you free it?

Thanks,

James
Golf MkII Central Locking - Tim Allcott
Had to replace the vacuum pump \'cos it went. Managed to find one at a breakers with \'the lad\' on the desk, who only wanted 15 pounds for it... they normally retail at a lot more than that, secondhand!
I did, however, read the Haynes manual about it, so I\'m fairly certain I\'m correct: It might even include details in the car\'s handbook (walks to car in car park, and back) aha result! I was sad enough to get one from a dealers when I got the car. It says \"pull back the locking rod on the inside of the rear right side panel by hand. It may be necessary to fold the carpet back beforehand.\" There is a diagram: if you need it, email me, and I\'ll send a picture of it.

Tim{P}
My haynes wasn't as explicit, I must say.

Drama over however. I managed to coax it into life by a mixture of tough love and gentle tweaking. This was followed by a dash to the petrol station, not that going fast helps.

I reckon you're right about the pump though. There is a really good 2nd-hand VW parts place nearby though, so I should be OK.

Thanks for the offer tim, I may yet take you up on it.

James
I took the pump out of the boot and cleaned up the connections. It's been working perfectly since!
Golf MkII Central Locking - Drew20
the vac connections or the electrical connections