intrusion or not? - Martin Devon
Dear all,

Just went into my post regarding the ex police T5 and an advert came up, something called x10 message alert extolling the virtues of cctv. It wouldn't close and every time I hit the X it just threw up another page. Applied the internet lock and it still carried on. Had to pull the plug in the end. Any ideas??

Regards.
intrusion or not? - Mudguts
Be careful when you try to close these pop-ups:

As you run the curser over the box you will see that an address comes up in the bottom of you browser window: THAT tells you what will happen if you click there. Some pop-ups have false X boxes that look like you can click them to close that window.
intrusion or not? - Godfrey H {P}
Martin your PC security may not be up to date see my post:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19790&...e

After you've run Adware and Spybot run Windows Update and insatll "critical" updates.
Martin are you running windows XP and is it a new computer or new XP installation?
intrusion or not? - Mark (RLBS)
Martin,

Make sure you have a pop-up stopper installed. One of the more basic, but its easy and doesn\'t seem to conflict with anything else, is obtained by going to google and installing their tool bar.

Works for me although I also have ad-aware and spybot as well as zone alarm as a firewall.

A word of warning the Google toolbar is regarded as "spyware" by some people see www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html
A word of warning the Google toolbar is regarded as "spyware"
by some people see www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

Oh Hell! I've just read that lot. Big Brother Watching or what. Where next??

Reg's
Martin are you running windows XP and is it a new
computer or new XP installation?

No sir it is 98se. Not new and until recently no probs at all. Zone alarms and Norton Professional installed, but something got in here recently and although a colleague has sorted some of the stuff there are still minor problems. I just looked at Spybot and although I am sucessful in other things these blessed computers and stuff just leave me cold. I looked at your link to spybot, got it up and then tried to download same and then saw all of the options and the warnings and as usual I thought, blow it and then I just cancel. Knowing my luck I'll install another load of carp. Give me bricks and mortar!!

Very Best Regards, M.
Spybot is one of the good guys and is highly respected amongst the anti-trojan spyware hunter community. Spybot comes with a good tutorial if you can muster the patience to follow it you will be fine. I can guide you through the steps to take after using Spybot but telling you how to use Spybot when there is a tutorial provided would be somewhat reinventing the wheel (motoring reference, hehe).

regards
GH
intrusion or not? - Baskerville
Try a different browser. Mozilla, found at www.mozilla.org is more secure, easier to use, has more functionality (search google from the address box, or by highlighting text on the page for example), and a pop-up stopper built in. After using Mozilla for a while you will wonder how (or why) you ever did anything with IE.
intrusion or not? - Jonathan {p}
I get exactly the same, and it only happens on this site. Is this a legitimate popup for the site?

I get it at home and at work, so I know it's not my security (full stealth) or pop up stopper.

At home, it opens and does not open this site (i have popup stopper and ad blocker), at work I get this site and the popup.

Jonathan
I'm feeling left out I don't get the pop-up. Sulks! Seriously though have you used Windows Update lately to plug all the many security holes?
intrusion or not? - exmondeoman
I've got it too - and spybot doesn't see any problem. Can't believe that it's legitimate though??
Ok lets try and track this thing down. Create a new directory with a name of your choice and go to this URL
www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Download and install HijackThis and CWShredder in this new directory. Close down all other IE windows and run HijackThis
Save the log and either post it here or email it to me via my profile. I will have a look and see if it's a known problem.
I'll e-mail the log separately - a bit long for here, but feel free to reproduce anything that would be of general interest. I notice that F24943.find-quick.com is there among other stuff. Is that one of the undesirable ones?
Don't know I'll have to see the whole log to see what's going on. It sounds like some sort of Java "drive-by" hijack which by-passes firewall security.
OK - I've e-mailed the log anyway.
intrusion or not? - frostbite
I have not seen this popup, if that's what it is, running the Google toolbar which always ticks like a geiger counter on this site.

Have read the big bro. bit but not bothered.
intrusion or not? - matt35 {P}
Could it be Microsoft or Hotmail and not connected to the HJ website?

Matt35
I'll have an idea when I can get my hands on a HijackThis logfile. Exmondeoman sent me an email but forgot to include the logfile!

GH
Sorry - I thought it was attached! I've sent it now as text in the e-mail.

Thanks HJ - the usefulness of the site more than outweighs the the inconvenience of closing the odd pop-up, but I guess the fact that this
a) wasn't motoring-related and
b) was not easy to close
made people concerned that this was maybe not just an innocuous ad.
intrusion or not? - Dynamic Dave
b) was not easy to close

How were you trying to close it? I just clicked on the 'X' in the top RH corner of the pop up window and it closed easily.
intrusion or not? - Blue {P}
I think people are falling for the trick whereby the ad appears in an Internet Explorer, but the as is like a screenshot type image showing ads appearing in Internet Explorer windows, people are trying to click on the X that features in these screenshots, this is like clicking on the popup.

Before clicking on close, just stop, and look carefully at the advert for a moment, you will soon realise which X button is the real one. When you click it, the advert *will* close normally.

Blue
How were you trying to close it? I just clicked on the 'X' in the top RH corner of the pop up window and it closed easily.

Indeed it does - I think because the whole ad is clickable (and spawns another window) I'd probably simply brought up multiple instances.
intrusion or not? - martint123
I'm glad it's gone as for me using mozilla firebird it was opening a new window every 30 seconds - my toolbar was getting a bit cramped!
I'm glad it's gone as for me using mozilla firebird it
was opening a new window every 30 seconds - my toolbar
was getting a bit cramped!

Have you not set the pop-up stopper in Firebird? There shouldn't be any pop-ups with that browser unless you choose to look at them.
intrusion or not? - martint123
Yes Chris, it is set which is why I was suprised. HJ and uk.weather.com are the only sites I've come across with this intrusive CCTV/X10 nausea. I'm just about to try the upgrade to firefox.

Weird. Can report that uk.weather.com doesn't give me a popup in Firefox for Linux, just installed--looks good
intrusion or not? - Jonathan {p}
This is the link to the ad.

images.x10.co.uk/ukad2one/socks_uk.htm
intrusion or not? - SteveH42
You'd have thought Mozilla would handle this OK but for me it didn't. Running Firebird 0.7 I still get this CCTV thing on occasion no matter how many built-in and additional pop-up stoppers I have installed... Is this advert actually a genuine HJ one? I'd be surprised and saddened if it was as I really cannot see the relevance to motoring as well as it seeming a tad dodgy.
***AMAZING CCTV CAMERA*** pop-ups - tobyn
the pop-up ads on this site must be the most persistant ones around. i keep on deleting them and they breed 10 more. how much would we have to pay you HJ to stop getting them?
***AMAZING CCTV CAMERA*** pop-ups - hillman
They look good. I wonder if they have any free samples.
***AMAZING CCTV CAMERA*** pop-ups - Blue {P}
Sounds to me like you're clicking the wrong close button. This particular advert consists of a variety of imitation Internet Explorer windows. Make sure you click the proper close button and the advert disappears altogether, I get just one pop up per session which I can close straight away.

Blue
intrusion or not? - Dalglish
since the mods and hj seem ok with this thread i hope my contribution is ok too. if not, please delete.

despite having a pop-up stopper, the adsx10 links that get thru are numerous. my firewall can be configured to block these specifically and so far the following are just some that i have added to my list:

images.x10.co.uk
images.x10.co.uk/ukad2one/lody_UKPAN.htm
images.x10.co.uk/ukad2one/ukad_inna.htm
images.x10.co.uk/ukad2one/ukt_urgentgws.htm

Browser HTTP rule IEXPLORE.EXE ads.x10.com

16/02/04 11:32:00 Block Ad by link images.x10.co.uk/ukad2one/710x290_xp_float_gws.htm IMAGES.
X10.CO.UK

16/02/04 11:32:02 Block Ad by link ads.x10.co.uk/?bHVrYWQyb25lcHUxLmRhd= /ADS.
intrusion or not? - Peter D
Yet this dam site takes over and reoves the HJ site connection. I have complained to HJ but He auures me I am the only one complaining. Clearly I am Not. Regards Peter