MOT conundrum - Iota
Hope I am doing this correctly. I would like some advice on my abysmal failure to renew my MOT in time. Here follows a story a little too long, but it is all true; so if anyone can help, i will be grateful. My MOT ran out and i had not used the car due to a heavy workload. I then booked it into a garage for an MOT. Unfortunately, smoke began to pour out of the bonnet and two idler pulleys needed replacement before the MOT could go ahead. By the time this work was finished it was too late and i was too poor for the MOT to go ahead. I could not afford the MOT until i got paid, which was three days later. Unfortunately I was stopped two days later and given a producer.
The policeman wrote the date 05/02/05 on the producer. I would like to know if this mistake has any bearing on my case, such as mistakes on speeding tickets invalidating them.
Also, i will have to go to the police station to admit my guilt. I obviously wish to minimise the fine, but is it more advantageous to myself to say that i clean forgot about the MOT, or tell them the above story about my finances.
Any help would be most appreciated.
MOT conundrum - Civic8
Could be wrong but I gather no MOT invalidates both tax & insurance.I think it would be better to get MOT slightly early
I don`t think as with tax there is any excuse.Would be interesting to hear what others say?
MOT conundrum - Sooty Tailpipes
When you go to the Police station, it's usually either closed, or like the Mary Selest. If I was in that position, I'd get the MOT ASAP, and just take it in, and if they say you didn't have the MOT on that day, explain that they wrote the wrong date, and you can prove you were somewhere else.
MOT conundrum - Iota
Cheers for the responses. I would like to think about going down the route of proving i was somewhere else, but i was stopped in a city centre. This will be on CCTV, also because i had commited the offence of driving over a pedestrian street, i was recorded. Thus, i will be in police's notebook etc. Not wise to start lieing about that. I already have the MOT (2 days after i got stopped), but was wondering which method of excuse would produce the most lenient response, ie a caution.
MOT conundrum - PhilW
Just be totally honest - lies always catch up with you. Be very apologetic, never happen again etc and hope for the best. Then point out mistake of the date? You may just get a slapped wrist. Otherwise you'll just have to bite the bullet, and learn from mistakes. Stuff happens.
MOT conundrum - Dude - {P}
I take it you meant Marie Celeste.!!!
MOT conundrum - Civic8
Agree with Phil you never know.
MOT conundrum - king arthur
The worst that can happen is you get a court summons and fined £20 or £30. It's not endorsable.
MOT conundrum - Dwight Van Driver
Get an MOT pdq.
Take it with HO/RT/1 (producer) to Plod and before 7 days from 5.2.04.
Explain why you are unable to produce MOT on date stopped.
It used to be and I think still valid that if new MOT taken out within 1 month of old one expiring NFA will apply.
The date of the pull will be in the Plod's note book and wrong date of RT/1 means little other than an avenue for embarrasing Plod if it went to Court.

DVD
MOT conundrum - Iota
Cheers DVD (and all others), this website has provided swift and hopefully sound advice. Explain to this dumb sucker what 'NFA' is, please.
MOT conundrum - SjB {P}
Just a guess in the context, NFA = 'No Further Action'?
MOT conundrum - Iota
Cheers for that. What's pdq? Also, you seem fairly authoritative on the matter. Are you speaking from professional experience?

ioTa.
MOT conundrum - Iota
that was addressed to DVD.
MOT conundrum - Dwight Van Driver
Iota

Pdq = Pretty damn quick - much faster than asap.

DVD
ex BiB.
MOT conundrum - Iota
More abbreviations. BiB?
MOT conundrum - smokie
BiB = Boy in Blue

Nick nick.

HtH (Iota - Happy to help!)
MOT conundrum - keo-the-dog
take hort1 to police station tell them you cant find mot so you have had a new mot done , they will write all this down and you will be reported you SHOULD then receive a letter stating that on this occassion no further action will be taken on the matter has worked for me and is genuine i am always losing paperwork .... dont get cocky about the wrong date on the hort1 though or they might get funny about it they dont like to be shown up .... humble pie time awfully sorry etc etc...