VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Joe
As an owner of a 2000 model year VW PASSAT 1.8 Estate, I have found that the "heated" mirrors do not appear to operate efficiently. I asked the franchised dealer to check them last service but they responded that they were working OK. I wonder has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Andrew Hamilton
Presumably dealer checked the current they took. This would check not only the mirror resistance but the switch and wire conduction. How do you mean inefficiently? After all at 12V heating power is low without loads of current!
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Joe
Replying to Andrew Hamilton ..... Thanks for response and comments noted.
When I used the word "efficient", I should really have said "ineffective" The heating (if it actually is operating?) takes an age to clear minor misting, and has no effect in wet conditions whatsoever. In wet weather, the mirrors become completely unuseable. I am not certain that the dealer actually checked the workings but claimed they did. I wondered had anyone else experienced similar operating problems? Previous experience of heated mirrors has been of fairly instant mist dispersal and clear wet weather operation? Any further comments appreciated ... i.e. Can I check the power to mirrors myself? Thanks, Joe
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Mike Holland
Have they ever worked? On the current Audi A4 they are an optional extra, and maybe this is a VW group philosophy.

Mike Holland
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Andy P
Judging by the thickness of the heating element, I'd be very surprised if they were ever designed to cope with anything other than ice. On my old Cavalier, the heater element could remove a thin coat of ice completely, but had no effect on rain droplets.

I do remember seeing a piece of plastic which fitted to the top of the mirror casing and directed the airflow down the mirror, effectively blowing it clean. Don't know if they're any good or not...

Andy
Replying to Andy P .... Thanks for the comments, your assumptions are likely correct.
Replying to Mike Holland ..... Thanks for input. YES, the heated mirrors are standard on the model in question. It may well be the case that the element is too weak, or I am expecting too much. Interestingly, in a similar train of thought, the heated rear window used to have (in previous models) an automatic timed cut-off .... sadly no more... now only sitch controlled! Maybe a cost saving element of manufacture?
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Geoff
They were delegated to an optional extra in an effort to reduce the list price as a direct result of personal imports impacting on prices.
My father bought an A4 SE in Jan 2000.
He opted to buy the 1999 model with higher spec than a 2000 model with lower spec.
He got £3600 off list price btw.
Geoff
Keeping Mirrors clear in the wet - Stuart B
I find an application every so often of Rain X well worth the effort.
Re: Keeping Mirrors clear in the wet - Michael
i'm currently driving a golf with heated mirrors - they work fine and keep the glass clear in the rain. I know its not a passat but i'm assuming there's some similarity....
Keeping Mirrors clear in the wet - David Lacey
Most heated mirror glasses become too hot to touch after 20 mins operation. It is possible the elements are faulty.

David
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Geoff
I've just had the 30000 mile service done on my November 98 TDi SE.
Two things were done under the three year warranty; the track rod end bearings and ......both heated mirror glasses.
They seemed to work ok last winter and I wasn't aware there was a problem until they told me.
Geoff
Thanks to all the respondents .... comments very informative and helpful.
Compliments to HONEST JOHN for an excellent web-site and content.
Re: VW PASSAT - Heated Mirrors - Martyn
Something that happened with my Beetle - the heating only operates when the mirror control switch is in the centre position. The original switch was duff so the heating only worked when it felt like it - switch replaced and now the mirrors steam!