Mondeo auto box - stevek
Any suggestions why it will never change up to 3rd gear for a v reg mondeo. 1st to secod is Ok.
Box oil level is regularly topped up but the fluid does go down but there is no sign of a leak.
What should we look for and how expensive could this be?
Mondeo auto box - Aprilia
Faulty governor?

The Ford CD4E is the 'most rebuilt' transmission - they are tragically short-lived. Expect to pay around £1k for a rebuilt unit.
Mondeo auto box - bikemade3
might be worth getting the VSS replaced before you go any deeper vss=Vehicle Speed Sensor.Ford will just replace the box
Mondeo auto box - Phil I
Your best plan of action is to contact your nearest member of F.A.T.E

www.fedauto.co.uk/

Link comes from HJ's Directories (just on the left in the red bit)

Happy Motoring Phil I
Mondeo auto box - stevek
Thank you for your suggestions.
How can the speed sensor influence fluid level please?
Steve
If you are having to top up the ATF and have no visual leaks where is it going i do not know ? However if you have a look at the Mondeo Enthusiasts Web Site then you can read about the problems other owners of Automatic Mondeos have had.There are plenty of reports with the problematic component being identified as opposed to the box just being replaced for lots of money.
Mondeo auto box - stevek
Thanks Bikemade

I have looked and can only find one of these. What sites were you specifically referring to please?
Steve
Try www.fordmondeo.org/problems.htm then click on Forums then Main index you can then go to Transmissions and read about the problems and rectifications. As i said the ATF loss may be a seperate fault. The VSS senses road speed and allows the box to change up/down depending on road speed if your box is not going into 3rd then this may be the cause. Have you had a look at the colour/ odour of the ATF fluid in the box should be Red and odourless. Hope this helps