HDi Power Loss - Citroen Xsara - volcane
I have a Xsara HDI 110 just coming up to 60,000 miles and have been experiencing a problem for the last 3 months 6,000 miles. When accelerating hard car loses power and is not able to exceed 55 mph. If I keep trying to make her go the management light will come on and limp mode activated. Seems to happen in heavy rain but not sure if thats a coincidence.
The car was bought at 40,000 miles 18 months old from a citroen main dealer. I reported the problem when having other work done under warranty, they cleared fault codes but did nothing about prob. Reported again- fault code this time said something about lack of turbo pressure? not sure exactly what was said. Fitted new air mass meter (which was in stock only because I had ordered it) also ordered a citroen kit to re-route the air intake to prevent water access. Kit was fitted about 2 weeks after new meter. 3 days after kit fitment same problem again, trying to push on no-go limp home mode (vvvv scary when trying to pass a lorry in heavy rain)

Any ideas?? could air meter be damaged again (if it ever was in the first place) What else could it be Fuel problem??? I changed the filter shortly after the first incident made no difference, one suggestion has been fuel filter housing faulty.

(Will create a log of all warranty work done along with servicing balls up later).
HDi Power Loss - Citroen Xsara - Mondaywoe
I've just had the turbo replaced (under warranty!) on my C5. Similar symptoms - car just wouldn't do much more than 55mph. It turned out that one impeller of the turbo had seized(the 2.2 HDI has 2 - 2.0 HDI probably the same)The garage was thrown off track for a start because they only examined the turbo from one side and an impeller was seen to be spinning happily!

The garage meanwhile went all round the houses - dismantled exhaust to check for blockages / collapsed cat, electrovalves, plumbing generally etc etc. Even contacted Citroen who gave it a sort of Gallic shrug (!)

Anyway, new turbo now fitted and the car is back to its old self. Garage have checked oil feed etc and can't see any reason for it other than a 'duff turbo'. Car has only done 26,000 miles. Maybe there was a bad batch of turbos?

Graeme
HDi Power Loss - Citroen Xsara - Ben79
Sorry Graeme,

The 2.0 and 2.2 have different turbos. The 2.2 one is variable geometry the 2.0 isn't. Furthermore, the 2.0 110bhp has a bigger turbo compared to the 2.0 90bhp.

Ben (Lovely car)
HDi Power Loss - Citroen Xsara - Mondaywoe
Humble apologies! I was just stupidly quoting a Citroen dealer....!! I made a point of asking them if the 2.0 litre was the same and they said 'yes'. On retrospect, however, I think you're right Ben. I seem to remember reading the specs somewhere (probably online) and I originally had that feeling myself.

Oh well....back to the drawing board - sorry if that was a red herring!

Graeme
HDi Power Loss - Citroen Xsara - volcane
Now we know which turbo my car likely has any other ideas about what is causing my problem!!! Going to dealer tomorrow to get new air flow meter fitted. I strongly suspect this will not cure the problem. But difficult to know as problem intermittent.

All help appreciated

Thanks