Tax discs - smokie
Mrs smokie has just asked why tax discs are round.

I told her it was so that they fit into tax disc holders but she wasn't convinced.

Anyone know?
Tax discs - AdrianM
..so that , after coughing up £160, you at least have the satisfaction of peeling off the perforated surround.
Tax discs - AdrianM
..also, I guess it wouldn't be a disc if it wasn't round.
Tax discs - Imagos
..also, I guess it wouldn't be a disc if it wasn't
round.

d'oh!!

very simular to the MOT test....

now why's that called THAT???
Tax discs - clariman
very simular to the MOT test....
now why's that called THAT???

M O T = Ministry Of Transport
Tax discs - Imagos
>>
>> very simular to the MOT test....
>>
>> now why's that called THAT???
>>
M O T = Ministry Of Transport

i know that!!!!!

but why's it still used?

the ministry of transport was renamed a long time ago so why's the letters "MOT" still used???
Tax discs - Civic8
As your wheels are being taxed why not have a tax disc the same shape?
Tax discs - No Do$h
And it's not even Friday.....
No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Tax discs - malteser
No tax discs in Spain! Vehicle "circulation tax" is paid to the local Town Hall and varies slightly from locality to locality. Ours for a 1.9tdi was 70 euros or about 50 quid last year.
The Spanish equivalent of the MOT test, known as the ITV is due four years from first registration for a private car(unless it is an ex daily rental fleet unit, which is due two years from date of registration. The tests are carried out by state owned Inspeccion Technico Vehiculos test centres. A year dated sticker is issued for a pass and must be displayed on the windscreen on the near side of the vehicle. This system has two advantages - independent test centres not relying on test failure work and immediate proof of a pass certificate. In addition of course, drivers must be able to produce the original car insurance cover note and original car registration documents. Failure to produce these on request are grounds for instant impounding of the car. Failure to produce the national identity card or other proof of personal identity are grounds for immediate impounding of the person concerned!
Big brother lives here already! Mind we knew this before we moved - so no gripes warranted.
Tax discs - Pugugly {P}
Round shapes difficult to forge.
Tax discs - henry k
Round shapes difficult to forge.

And the little perforations

IIRC a TV programme on traffic wardens highlighted that they check for photocopies of parking permits and they rarely have perforations. I would guess the same applies to old style pre bar code Tax discs.

It makes me smile that little bits of missing paper are a security feature.
Tax discs - smokie
Hmmm...some of these were known as chads a while back, and they were responsible for one huge security risk!

All answers relayed to mrs smokie, who cannot believe that I waste (her word, not mine) my time discussing the shape of tax discs with people I've never met... :-)

However, it's made her happy...
Tax discs - malteser
Hmm, Smokie - your first para - no politics please! :)
Tax discs - Graham
Henry. I suppose we could be inviting all sorts of trouble if cut the disc out with scissors!
Tax discs - Stargazer {P}
Move to Oz, that will confuse her, the rego is rectagular and self adhesive and an absolute pig to remove at the end of the year.

cheers

Ian L.
Tax discs - Mapmaker
a circulation tax would be round too...
Tax discs - rustbucket
Have just herd on the radio that the cunning plan to scrap road fund tax and pay for it via a petrol tax levy has raised its head again. good idea or not?

rustbucket (the original)
Tax discs - OldPeculiar
How many people belive that a change in the method of taxation will lead to the average tax revenues from the motorist remaining the same or falling? Not I!

Tax discs - Robbie
Have just herd on the radio that the cunning plan to
scrap road fund tax and pay for it via a petrol
tax levy has raised its head again. good idea or not?
rustbucket (the original)

Not. Cars will need to be registered and no doubt there will be various escalations in the cost of that. Eventually we'll be paying as much, if not more, for registration as we did for road fund tax.