wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - Sarb11
My steering wheel is turning side to side more than normal as I drive. At slow speeds it is more sudden and noticeable than at higher speeds where the turning from side to side is less. Is this due to tracking or just wheel balancing?
wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - StuW
I think if it feels like you having to fight with the wheel as if it is pulling quite sharply to the left or right then it could be a cv joint as this what my car was doing about a year and this is what the problem was. Worth turning full lock while stationary and see if the cv rubber boot is split and rusty inside then probably a cv joint. If tracking was out the car would veer to the left (usually the left because this wheel tends to get kerbed the most) and if the wheel was out of balance you'd get a vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds. Just my experience someone with more knowledge will probably know better!
wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - Dynamic Dave
And the car is???
Sorry its a mk2 golf 1.3 its done 64k. I have just had a CV boot changed but the garage told me the joint itself was ok so they repacked it with grease.
wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - scotsman_1
sarb11
have had similar probs in the past with different vehicles i think it could be any of the following either the cv joint was not fiited properly.tracking could be out if it has not been checked recently normally wheel alignment checks are free if there is nothing wrong or it could be that you have uneven wear on the front discs and or disc pads.my wife used to have a mk11 golf and the vw dealer changed the discs and pads and the problem persisted similar to yours except the steering was juddering. the problem was solved when we took the veh to a tyre repair garage who changed the discs and pads at half the price and the problem went. i later managed to negotiate a free service from the vw dealer because of the previous probs.
hope this helps
wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - Peter D
My steering wheel is turning side to side more than normal. Strange statement. This is indicative of a shot steering rack, shot ball joints, or the nut behind the whell it loose. Do you mean, My steering wheel is turning side to side more than normal. Severe 'toe out' feels a bit like that. Regards Peter
wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - Civic8
More likely to be tyre out of alignment.If it occurs without pedal pressure on the brakes.would say tyre tread is out of straight.could be wrong.But I would go for that
wheel alignment/tracking or balancing? - Civic8
I forgot to say change front wheels to rear if the problem still there counts it out unless they are the same.usually fronts wear more.
Thanks to all. Problem now solved. The front passenger side tyre was out of shape. It was not easy to spot but I changed the tyre and the steering is now fine.

I am suprised at what a small defect in the tyre can do to steering.