Car sales salary - Blue {P}
Apologies to the mods, I know that this should probably follow on from my other related thread about this a while ago, but I need a very quick answer!

Does anyone have an *informed* opinion on approximately how much a Ford salesman (for a maindealer) in the north east could expect to earn? I need to fill in a box titled "salary and benefits required" but I have no idea how much to put in! I don't want to put in an amount a huge amount more than what can be expected or else they may think I'm been unrealistic, but as the salary might be negotiable, I don't want to put, say, £15K if every other salesman is on about £25K or I'm gonna sell myself very short!

Blue
Car sales salary - T Lucas
A Friend of mine works at a Renault dealers inside the M25 and for the last 3 years just about tops 35k,and earns every penny of it.He wants out,and thinks he can do better as an estate agent!
Hmm, I think £20K is a reasonable figure to put down, I know Reg Vardy recently advertised a Renault sales job in Middlesborough, no experience necessary, with OTE of £50K!

Don't think I dare put that down! :-)

Anyone elses opinions welcome!

Blue
Car sales salary - Wrighty
Blue

The typical basic salary for car sales is usually very low i.e £6 - 10K pa. OTEs can go as high as £60 - £70 k dependant on franchise.

HTH
Thanks, I think I'll go along with a figure of £18K, I think that sounds fair without being too excessive or too low. The closing date for the job applications is very soon, so I will be treking out to post it this afternoon.

Blue
Car sales salary - carlh
Be careful, the DP will be looking for 'hungry' salesmen who want to earn as much as possible. I think £18k is too low, but it depends on the size of the dealership (units sold), I would be looking for someone who wanted to earn at least £25K.
Car sales salary - Aprilia
For mainstream car sales then £35k would not be untypical - its not a big wage these days.
Car sales salary - peterb
The reason the box is there is to prevent them offering you less than you're getting at the moment and to weed-out people who wouldn't be interested once they found out the pay. It's not a critical factor.
Car sales salary - Miller
Maybe in London, but 35k up here in the North East? I doubt more than 5% of the workforce up here earn that much!
Car sales salary - doctorchris
OK Blue Oval if it\'s the nameless dealership mentioned in my other thread that you are going to work for and you try any magic tricks on my kids I\'ll hunt you down like a dog!
Car sales salary - doctorchris
Apologies but Jennings were not the dealers in my other thread but are the local Ford dealer and are verrry verrrry nice peeple.
Car sales salary - volvoman
From my experience employers advertising largely commission based posts are interested in people who want to earn as much as they reasonably can and be properly rewarded for their efforts. Just putting a figure down implies that at that salary you might 'take your foot off the gas' as it were. You might consider putting down the minimum figure you'd be aiming at with a proviso that you're looking for a commission structure that properly rewards success and would allow you comfortably exceed that.
That's what I'm thinking, unfortunately being totally new to applying for these jobs and not having industry experience I thought I'd better check it out first to make sure I didn't make a fool of myself!

As for the dealers, I'm not going to say where I'm applying, I think I may have missed something there, it looks edited?

Blue
Car sales salary - Armitage Shanks{P}
I think you would be best off to put what you expect as a basic salary and add that you assume that you would be paid commission on your sales. Or, ask the potential employer, what is the figure they are asking for, "basic" ot "total package"
Car sales salary - Oldsinjun
I would put "For discussion depending upon basic/commission ratio".
Car sales salary - Dude - {P}
I was surprised to hear from a salesman in my local BMW main dealer that their basic salary is only 14k with the remainder made up with a reasonably generous commission, which then takes their on-target earnings to 35k.
Thanks everyone, I sent the form off with a figure of £18K as this seemed the best compromise for everything, and I've heard from people who work for another Ford main dealer firm that their trainee execs tend to be on around £15K-£20K. I thought £18K sounds ambitous enough for a 19 year old trainee, of course if I get an interview and they mention it, I'll explain that I expect that to almost double over a few years. :-)

Blue