Woke up this morning a criminal! - Alf
Received a fine this morning through the post for foregetting to renew a SORN declaration. The car is on private land and has not been moved for over a year. I haven't done anything wrong.

Is this a fine for forgetting or because they dont beleive the car is off road? Do I have to pay the money grabbing s..(oops got to be careful, the moderator will castigate me for using non swear words which are commonly used)

Its getting a bit too much all this getting the motorist to pay for.......everything. victim compensation/illegal asylum seeker legal fund/Yobs holidays in the Caribbean etc etc.

Regards,

Alf
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Dwight Van Driver
Congratulations Alf you must be the first Backroomer to get the new 80 note fine (to you Sir 40 if you pay promptly).

Sorn expires and a month later DVLA have done a sweep and no new SORN or Licence taken out so automatic fine.

Please pay as it goes towards my Pension.

DVD
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Marcos{P}
DVD,

Your pension will already be huge, stop bieng so greedy.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - No Do$h
Is this a fine for forgetting or because they dont beleive
the car is off road? Do I have to pay
the money grabbing s..(oops got to be careful, the moderator will
castigate me for using non swear words which are commonly used)

Actually, I removed sod from the swear filter about 3 weeks back as it is rarely used in a personal or offensive manner. Just don\'t abuse it!

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Woke up this morning a criminal! - SjB {P}
Can we have the 'S' word that usually preceeds 'and span' removed too, please?

I have never heard this word used in the alternative derogative manner, but the filter blocks it.

Cheers.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - pdc {P}
You could always use one of the alternative from Rogets www.bartleby.com/62/93/S1429375.html
Woke up this morning a criminal! - AdrianM
I must have been lucky. My GTV6 has been hibernating since tax ran out at end of Sep and so I didn't renew or SORN it.

Thanks to ads on tv warning of fines I eventually pulled my finger out and SORNd it a couple of weeks ago.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Hugo {P}
Did you receive any sort of reminder?

I would contact the DVLA and try to get the penalty waived.

The system is new, so there must be a huge array of problems

Hugo
Woke up this morning a criminal! - wemyss
My sympathies Alf and I feel exactly the same as youself.
A Government which is constantly looking for new ways to fill there coffers and the motorist is such an easy target if he is law abiding and tries to do everything correctly.
And to add to your list add Itinerants laying waste to our town, and paying for having our armed forces in every part of the world.
And rest assured there is more to come in revenue collection one way or another.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Phil I
No sympathies from me Alf. You are computer savvy (silver surfer maybe?) so should have all these important renewal dates in your Calendar programme to give you bells and whistles as each date arrives throughout the year. Going to save you money!!!!

Happy Motoring Phil I
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Ivor E Tower
Where does it say that you have to re-SORN every 12 months, and is there a form you must use?
Reason I ask is that my parents have a SORNed car at present and are likely to be out of the UK on the first anniversary of SORN being declared. So should they just write to DVLA, and will DVLA then count 12 months from when they receive the letter?
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Flat in Fifth
IET,

dvla website quite clear about this

tinyurl.com/elfr

part of which reads

"There is a legal obligation to sign and date the forms. The address at which the vehicle is to be kept needs to provided only if the form requests it. SORN declarations are valid for 12 months and must be renewed, if the vehicle is kept off road for a further period. SORN can be renewed by completing the V11, V85/1 or if these are not available a V890 SORN form can be used"

and with a name like Ivor maybe I should be politically correct....

Mae hi'n ddyletswydd gygreithiad I lofnodi'r ffurflen a rhoi'r dyddiad arni. Nid oes angen darparu'r cyfeiriad lle cedwir y cerbyd oddi ar y fford oni bai fod y ffurflen yn gofyn am hyn. Mae datganiadau Hysbysiad Oddi ar y Ffordd Statudol (HOS) un ddilys am 12 mis, a rhaid eu hadnewyddu os cedwir y cerbyd oddi ar y fford am gyfnod hwy.Gelli'r adnewyddu HOS wrth lenwi ir ffurflen V11W/V85/1W on os yw'r ffurflenni ddim ar gael, gallwch ddefnyddio ffurflen V890W HOS.

;)

Woke up this morning a criminal! - volvoman
I'm with you alvin - it's just too easy to fleece the motorist and turn a blind eye to the real criminals !
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Leon on Derv
Doesn't the ad campaign go something like....

We dont need to look her, or here or even here. We only need to look here

Implying that the DVLA computer provides reports on offenders. It would be a simpler process to notify with reminders just as they do when tax is due to expire or your license is due to expire. Why should SORN be any different.

Legalised racketeering me thinks.

Could be worth completing a renewal form, backdating it and taking a photocopy. Allege it was lost in the post. Under normal circumstances I would not condone this sort of behaviour, but when their tactics are underhand - fight fire with fire!

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Leon
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Pugugly {P}
You\'re not a criminal Alf.Unlucky that an honest punter has been caught by a system brought upon us by people who have driven around without a valid tax and exploited loopholes (you\'ve got to catch me) for more years that I care to remember. Don\'t blame DVLA or the Government blame the countless tax, insurance and MoT evaders over the years.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Alf
Thanks for your valued opinions. Interestingly, I was out in Iraq at the time, thats why I forgot!(Didn't receive a reminder but ignorance is no excuse blah blah) Far more important matters to deal with, then I come back to this carp (Dyslexic).

It certainly does wind you up. Suppose I've got no choice, I've written them a letter and copied to my MP. Doubt if I'll get any joy, after all those coffers need refilling and we are the boys who are gonna do it whether you like it or not!

Regards,

Alf

Silver surfer???I'm nowhere near!!!

Woke up this morning a criminal! - wemyss
Of course its unfair. What if everyone who we have to pay used the same tactic.
Utility companies give warnings if you don't pay. No doubt the local paper delivery man or milkman would give you a gentle reminder. Because its a Government department they dont have to use the normal reminder or final warning but simply impose a punishment. Imagine the outcry if the proverbial little old lady was fined £40.00 for not paying her bill to the utility company on the due date. The same computer throwing out the fine to Alf could just as easily be arranged to send a final warning.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - commerdriver
Sympathies Alf the lack of reminders is appalling.
Just as an extra piece of info if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle you can SORN it over the phone now on 0870 240 0010.
Woke up this morning a criminal! - Badges
Hi All,
Have just been reading this thread and thought you might like to share in my experiences of SORN.
I currently run 3 motorcycles, 2 that are exclusively summer use and 1 that I use in the winter. This involves making my SORN declarations several times throughout the year. Three times over the last two years I have recieved letters demanding fines because I had supposedly failed to make the SORN declaration. (I would point out at that I tend to keep copies of all correspondence with govt depts just out of principle!) Suffice to say that when I queried their demand it was a case of ". . . so sorry, our mistake blah, blah, blah". I wonder how many times they are successful in extorting money in this way?