HEATING OIL - ROBIN
i NOTICE THAT THIS DOESNT HAVE A RED DYE.
WILL A DEISEL ENGINE RUN ON IT?
i IMAGINE SOME PUMP LUBRICATION WILL HAVE TO BE ADDED?
iT IS,OF COURSE ILLEGAL,BUT I FEEL NO MORAL COMPUNCTION TO BE BOUND BY UNFAIR LEGISLATION,ANY MORE THAN aMERICA DID A FEW YEARS AGO....
Re: HEATING OIL - Andrew Bairsto
It will run no problem its the same .But once you have used it you cannot get rid of the red dye out of your tank
Re: HEATING OIL - ROBIN
My central heating fuel doesnt look very red.......
Re: HEATING OIL - Richard Hall
Don't even think about it. Diesel fuel has anti knock additives which central heating oil lacks. A friend of mine ran his Land Rover on it for a few months. Result - cracked cylinder head.
Re: HEATING OIL - Andrew Bairsto
All of non taxed diesel motors run on red diesel tractors,construction vehicles etc plus farmers Landies.In the refinery it is brought out of the cracker at the same time and the dye is added later.In winter you may need to put anti icing addative. It was not the diesel that knackered your friends Land rover .
Re: HEATING OIL - Dan J
The red dye is NOT what is officially used to mark diesel on which road tax has not been paid, this is simply there so if customs/police dip your diesel tank there is easy visibility whether or not you are using legal/illegal fuel. A chemical marker is added to red diesel (and I believe heating/gas oil as well) on which a simple chemical test can be performed to 100% identify that the fuel has not had road tax paid on it. I read an interesting article by an engineer from one of the oil co's re this as many people has written to them asking how to remove the red colour. It can be done (via chemicals, mainly acids, which then destroy the engine/pumps etc rendering the cheap fuel a waste of time!) but is irrelevant as on any suspicion by customs or the Police, a simple chemical test is performed and you have no way of denying it...
Re: HEATING OIL - Richard Hall
Red diesel is not necessarily the same thing as central heating oil, although they are both dyed red. The difference is in the cetane rating (a measure of how easily the fuel ignites under compression. The anti-knock additive I referred to is a cetane improver. With central heating oil, you have no way of knowing the cetane rating. The article quoted below explains in a little more detail...

Detonation in a diesel engine is generally caused by too much delay in ignition. The greater the delay, the greater the amount of fuel that accumulates in the cylinder before ignition. When the ignition point of the excess fuel is reached, all of this fuel ignites simultaneously, causing extremely high pressures in the cylinder and an undesirable knock. Thus, detonation in a diesel generally occurs at what is normally considered to be the start of the second phase of combustion. Detonation in a diesel may occur when the engine is not warmed up sufficiently or when fuel injection equipment is not operating properly. These conditions may allow excessive fuel to accumulate in the cylinder.

Even though diesel fuel must have the ability to resist detonation, it must ignite spontaneously at the proper time under the pressure and temperature conditions existing in the cylinder. The ease with which a diesel fuel ignites and the manner in which it burns determines the ignition quality of the fuel. The ignition quality of a diesel fuel is determined by its CETANE RATING, or CETANE NUMBER. In fact, the cetane rating of a diesel fuel is identified by its cetane number. The higher the cetane number, the less lag there is between the time the fuel enters the cylinder and the time it begins to burn.

The cetane number of a diesel fuel is derived from a comparison test. The cetane number of diesel fuel is the numerical result of an engine test designed to evaluate fuel ignition delay. To establish the cetane number scale, two reference fuels are used, cetane and heptamethylnonane. Cetane has an excellent ignition quality (100), and heptamethylnonane has a very poor ignition quality (15). The cetane rating of a fuel in which the ignition quality is unknown can be determined by a comparison of the performance of the fuel with that of a reference fuel. The cetane number represents the percentage of pure cetane in a reference fuel that will just match the ignition quality of the fuel being tested. A higher cetane number means a quicker burning of the fuel, a condition that tends to result in easier engine starting, particularly in cold weather.