Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - Justin2
The headlights and dashboard lights keep flickering on my 405 TD Estate. Battery is good,alternator is good seems strange. Only other fault is the windscreen washer pump stopped, checked the connection and I get 12V when activated but when not pressed there is still 5.5v??? Any ideas? Possible bad Earth but where?

Thanks.....Justin
Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - rg
Justin,

I ran a 405 and an earth failure caused the cooling fans not to run and caused head (cylinder, not my brain enclosure) damage whilst towing.

There is an earthing point "somewhere in the front end". It does degrade and fail. I understands that it sits out in the road filth, hence the problems.

It must be a pain to get to, as my auto elctrican did not even to bother to find it and by-passed it, finding an earth on the engine.

HTH

Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

Cheers

rg

Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - Justin2
Thanks, anyone know where this Earth point is?
Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - rg
P.S.

You might want to try posting on a Peugeot-specific forum such as:

www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/forum.asp?FORUM...4

or look under "FAQ"

HTH

rg
Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - Peter D
Corroded earth strap from battery neg to body or the engine to body strap. Regards Peter
Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - Crinkly Dave
My peugeot 405's weakness was always its electrical connections, particulary the earths. They tend to use what looks like a small "crown", which is screwed onto the body and various earth cables run to.

One is directly under the battery tray, and I think a couple on the inner wings.

Peugeot 405 Flickering Headlights - Fullchat
To get to the common earth junction you WILL have to take off the front bumper an all will be revealed. A good clean and sort out will do the trick.

Strangely enough I squirted mine with WD 40 after cleaning and it was twice as bad. Had to dry it and clean it all again.

I too had the same proplems with the fans not cutting in so if you follow three thin reds into the loom (again behind the bumper) from the three relays infront of the fans, split open the loom and you will find a soldered joint. Check clean and/or replace.

Fullchat