Rover 214iS - Timing Belt - Zeppelin
How can I tell if the Timing Belt needs replacing, are there any early warning signs such as change in engine sound, noise etc and how much approx are we talking about getting it replaced at a grarage?
Rover 214iS - Timing Belt - AN Other
You can't tell by looking or listening when the cam belt was last replaced. If you don't know when it was last replaced, you ought to have it done. If it snaps, you will face much greater expense. They do snap. If you know when it was last replaced then check with your Rover dealer how often it needs replacing. I don't know how much they cost to change - it depends how accessible they are. At a non-franchised garage you should reckon to pay a minimum of £60-80 for a cambelt change these days...
Rover 214iS - Timing Belt - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Agree, it is a relatively simple job, allow £150 ish.

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Rover 214iS - Timing Belt - Doc
Rover recommend 5 years/ 50,000 miles for the k-series.

Cost about £ 130.

Rover 214iS - Timing Belt - campbell10
If you are unsure about the timing belt life time on your car and have just bought it its always good practice to change as soon as possible being a mechanic myself i know that this engine is what is called an interfierance engine and if it jumps or snaps then bent valves is almost certain to happen and that will cost more than its worth if you want to check the belt then you should look for worn teeth on the belt and the tension you should only be able to turn the belt through 90 degrees anymore than this and its to slack also the belt will possibly show singns on the inner and outer edges of fraying ie the threads which are inside the belt are coming out this is a sure sign of belt deteriation its also worth noting that the teeth can easily break away then the belt will basically self destruct as it slides around the cam and crank