Vw Golf MK1V dash rattle - Ash
Hi all,

I've just bought a Golf Tdi 52 plate and it has an annoying rattle that's coming from behind the dash clocks on the drivers side. Is there an ECU under there or could it be the air vent pipe ? I'm asking this before i let my dealer start taking it apart and possibly creating more noise after they put it back together.

Any help would be grately appreciated.
Vw Golf MK1V dash rattle - andymc {P}
Is it definitely a rattle, or more of a "creak"? The reason I ask is that my Leon developed a creaky dash, particularly behind the steering wheel, which was cured by a squirt of silicone at all mounting points. This was applied without removing the dash, just loosening the fixings a bit. No creaks for several thousand miles now.
andymc
Hi Andy,

It's definitely a rattle, it disappears at a certain rpm and then re-appears, i just turn the music up at moment !

I read on another site that Polo's suffer from a fault with the heater pipe, i wondered if my golf is suffering something similar.

Thanks for replying.

Vw Golf MK1V dash rattle - enr1
I've owned a golf mkIV from new for 4yrs. I had a similar problem with a noise coming from behind the instument panel - it sounded like a rapid ticking noise. It's solved by replacing a casing around one of the instruments dials (I found out from this site). If I remember correctly it was the casing from the clock or the trip computer.

I found it worst when cruising at 70-80mph on the motorway.

I took the car to the dealer who fixed it under warranty - it's a bit of a known fault. Worth doing before your warranty runs out.

Many thanks !

The rapid ticking noise is exactly what i've got. I'll give my dealer a call on Monday and get it sorted. Everything else is fine, it's just that noise that's spoiling it !