Warranty Compensation - Durelli

My Volvo was off the road recently for about 2 weeks in 2 seperate incidents.

The end result was that the fule pump and fuel injectors were replaced, with a total retail cost of between 4 to 5k.

The cause of the problem, was never found, the fuel injectors were not at fault, but were replaced anyway.

This happened after 31k miles and over a year into the 3 year/60k warranty.

As I really can't afford that sort of repair I asked for the warranty to be extended free of charge this was refused by the dealer, so I spoke to Volvo.

As I do about 40k miles/year I tried to make the point that the warranty was worthless as if I drove the same number of miles the fault would occur after the warranty expired. the mileage/time to failure were the only facts of the case as Volvo couldn't state what had gone wrong or why.

Volvo refused to offer me an extended warranty. They offered me a £100 gift voucher for the inconveinence, but that is all.

My question is should I still argue my point wih Volvo? or should I accept the £100?

cheers

Durelli - son of a famous Italian tyre maker
Warranty Compensation - Martin Wall
Your car has a 3 year or 60,000 mile warranty - so volvo have repaired it under warranty as expected. If you are worried about future faults then see if you negotiate a discounted extended warranty instead:

See: www.volvocars.co.uk/VolvoOwnership/Warranties

(brochure not on-line alas)

The extended warranty is just a mechanical breakdown insurance policy and these tend to have very big mark-ups - see if your local dealer (or volvo themselves) would be willing to offer you a discounted policy to compensate for your inconvenience.

Also - does the warranty on the replaced parts end with the regular warranty (as I suspect) or is there a possibility to get these extended also?

Btw - did you put your comments to volvo in writing or over the 'phone? If not already done so might be worth trying a letter (not to customer services - find the boss in the UK) - disappointed, concerned over future problems, bought car based on expected reliability, etc. what about a discounted (rather than free) extended warranty or extended coverage of replaced components....

Good luck and let us know how you get on!