3 Doors or 5 Doors? - A Dent{P}
Do backroomers have any views on 3 door versus 5 door cars?

I am about to buy a replacement for the trusty old 5 door Sunny soon. I want an Almera.
The choice of doors arises because I don?t carry rear passengers much or have youngsters and their clobber to carry around.
Previously 3 doors would not have been an option on the grounds of rear passenger safety i.e. exiting after an accident and general convenience.

My impression (and I may be wrong about this) is that 3 door cars are less stiff and not as strong as the 5 door model in the event of an accident.
I looked through the EURO NCAP site but it made no mention of the difference that the number of doors would make. Ncap models are those which are most popular!.

I am surprised that this hasn?t been covered before but a forum search come up with zilch (DD will now oblige I expect).
Cheers
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Blue {P}
As far as I know it's 5 door cars which are marginally weaker than 3 doors as they have 2 extra holes built into the bodywork... Could be wrong though, I'll wait until some clever people respond to find out :-)

Blue
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Stargazer {P}
I prefer 5 doors for a number of reasons

1. Carrying my young daughter

2. 3 doors means much longer doors and wider spaces required for easy access

3. When occasionally giving lifts, see 2. above but even more so for rear seat access.

4. The compromises in making a front seat fold or slide to give rear access must affect performance in a collision.

5. Longer and heavier doors more likely to sag in the future.

I simply find 5 doors more practical, and with the extra B pillar surely the monocoque will be stiffer?

regards

Ian L.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - AN Other
I would always go for the 5 door option. Useful should you ever need it (loading shopping, going out with friends / family), and much better for re-sale - you'll get all the money back you paid extra, as well as appealing to a much larger cross section buyers. All the 3 door cars I've ever tried to sell have come up against this problem - nobody with children, ie. a lot of people, wants them at all.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Dude - {P}
Following Ian.L`s excellent suggestions, there is another consideration to take into account, particularly if you are like me and over 60. That is with the wider doors on a 3 door version the seats belts are anchored much further back, and can be absolute pigs to reach if you have any joint stiffness/arthritic problems.

I would definitely spend the extra and go for the 5 door, which will also be much easier to sell on when you wish to replace it.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Garethj
On the other hand, if you're tall and have the seat right back then the seatbelt comes straight across your chest and not over your shoulder.

Based on resale value though, 5 doors is probably best unless it's a sporty car - i.e. 3 door Golf GTis are probably better than 5 doors?

Gareth
Good points about the heavier doors etc and I didn't even consider the belt positions. I agree resale of 5 doors will be much easier because of the larger market.
I thought that the depth of the door and the necessary metal to frame it would add strength where the plain 3 door jobby would just have a curved sheet for a body and some cursory framework behind it. Of course I don't intend to test my new acquisitions strength in a prange but knowledge is power that may just save my skin.

My preference is 5 door anyway.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - edisdead {P}
Agreed Garethj: I think it is generally held that 3dr performance models are more desirable for aesthetic reasons.

3 doors are fine if you don't carry passengers, can park in wide spaces, and never need to carry loads. A trip to IEKA or B&Q is much easier with 5 doors.

Ed.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - patently
A trip to IEKA or B&Q is much easier with 5 doors.

Not sure. I've had frustrating moments trying to get big things through the small door aperture of a 5dr car, often when the **** thing is clearly small enough to fit in the interior. It's a question of having the wiggle room while the object is half-in half-out.

3dr cars have a stiffer bodyshell - this is usually regarded as improving the roadholding but I suppose it would help in a crash.

Another advantage of a 3dr layout is that car thieves find it harder to spring the lock. As the door is longer it has to be moved further. I was told this by a local plod after thieves had spent 10 mins trying to open my 316 Compact before giving up and moving onto my neighbour's Ka, where they spent about 30 seconds before getting in (at which point someone looked out to see what the racket was and scared them off).

To my mind though, the longer doors and hence greater convolutions to get out when parked near anything make 5dr much easier even if no-one ever gets in the back.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - PoloGirl
My preference is for 3 doors, for two reasons:

1. Five door cars are too *family* and I rarely have even a front passenger, let alone back seat ones.

2. I hate the thought that if one day I forgot to central lock the car while driving, someone could jump in behind me. Stupid I know but these little things bother me!

My car is a 3 door polo, but I'm driving a 5 door one today and the doors are tiny! Also the extra pillar/doors seem to reduce visability and increase blind spots, but that could be down to the difference in design between the old/new Polo - don't know if this is a problem on the 3 dr version.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - PR {P}
I have the best of both worlds, a 4 door car that appears to be a coupe, because the rear door handles are hidden!
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Cardew
Four armed hoods in N Ireland in a hijacked 3 door car. Three went off to carry out their nefarious business leaving the driver with engine running. They ran into an RUC patrol; as you can imagine their getaway was somewhat hampered.

So in these circumstances 5 doors are recommended!
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Mapmaker
No view one way or the other, just a couple of observations.

My 'new' 200k 5 door car has lots of wear around the driver's door where the driver gets in. 3 door car, no such problem - lots of room to get in.

Grandmother used to find the extra space in a 3 door much easier for getting into the front seat. But she always had somebody to do the belt up for her.

Too family, Pologirl! And yet you want to keep it for your nephews & nieces, how family's that...
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - PoloGirl
Too family, Pologirl! And yet you want to keep it
for your nephews & nieces, how family's that...

Ah but they'll be someone else's family! I hate to see a perfectly good car ruined by child seats and Winnie the Pooh sun shades. Have no objection at all to other people having families... keeps the obligation off my shoulders!

(Should just point out that one of my nephews is a 13 month old Boxer pup ;-) )
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Mapmaker
If sweet Boxer pup gets in the car, you'll be glad it's not shiny & brand new...
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - volvoman
5 doors for me too every time.

Don't want to worry you Pologirl but if you forget to lock your doors whilst driving someone may well jump in right beside you.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - wemyss
I endorse Dudes comments absolutely. I find three doors so big and cunbersome. And having the same age problem find the seat belts difficult. Also when the door is fully open it takes up so much more space in confined areas.
Only had one once and got rid of it within 3 months.
Incidentally watching an old black and white film reminded me that we used to have the doors open from the front. I pondered on why we changed and what the reasons were.?
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Garethj
You're right that old cars used to have "suicide doors", hinged at the rear. They were changed to front-hinged doors for safety reasons, if a door isn't quite closed properly or comes open when driving then front hinged is a lot safer!

Gareth
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - Andrew-T
Most of the points in favour of 5-door cars have been mentioned, but one more: as the doors are smaller, not only are they easier in tight spaces, but lighter to operate if the car is on a side-slope or the open door gets caught by the wind.

On the downside, the two extra doors add about £400-500 to the cost of a new £10K car, and this price difference seems to remain (proportionally) as the car ages.

In my family experience, younger folk tend to prefer the image of a 3-door car until they are overtaken by the practicality of 5 doors, for putting things like carry-cots or small children in the back seat.

On the topic of front-hinged doors, manufacturers occasionally try front-hinged bonnets, but presumably they aren't liked by mechanics (e.g.Clio, which reverted to standard).
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - patently
Also when the door is fully open it
takes up so much more space in confined areas.

Imagine the scene ... new 911 in the garage, driver's side about 9" from a rough brick wall. Owner is still paranoid about scratching his pride and joy, but wants to get in.

Open the door ... being one of only 2 there is gap of about 8-10" to get through. The backrest of the driver's seat is about 18" forward of the rear edge of the door. Jumping skills akin to Neo's in The Matrix are then needed in order to jump up slightly, freeze time, swing legs forward while leaving torso unsupported, slide whole body forwards and shift backside to the left into the driver's seat.

Not that I'm complaining, mind.
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - borasport20
Though we have no kids/dogs etc, we both have 5 door cars and I don't think either of us would seek out a 3 door in future.

must agree with Ian L - also the inlaws are getting on a bit, and FiL is 6ft +, so you can't really see him having fun clambering over folding seats to get in to back of car.

One thing against 3-doors, the doors are bigger and heavier than on 5-doors, and being 5'6" and 'slightly built', I can find three-door doors very heavy and the handle at the very limit of my reach !

--
Bora - what Bora ?
3 Doors or 5 Doors? - John Shelton
It entirely depends on what model your buying. In terms of "style" theyres very little difference between the 3 and 5 door lmeras, but in my case, having just ordered a new 3 door Fiat Stilo, theres loads of difference. the 3 door Stilo is quite Coupe like wheras the 5 door is more MPV like and beleive it or not theres more of a niche market for the 3 door because of its better looks. Ive test driven a 1.5 Almera and found it to be totally nuetral but somewhat slow, but it is a good reliable car with no real vices.
I will be after the 1.8SVE or SE+. I test drove a 1.5 Pulse and found it OK but very cheap on the fabric and plastics. The better spec'd models are better in the cabin. The one I drove allowed me to take some industrial roundabouts quite fast to set how it behaved on exit (camber changes) and it was OK I think. Must be off now..cars to see you know.