Warning light on 53 Polo - PoloGirl
Morning...

Well, the fools at VW have given me a brand new (5 miles on the clock when I picked it up!) polo to play with while they give Polo some much needed TLC. I'm not that impressed with it to be honest, but that's a whole other discussion!

There's a warning light that's coming on and off, a yellow steering wheel with an exclaimation mark next to it. The book isn't in the car and my Polo isn't flashy enough to have all these lights so I have no idea what it is, and if I should be driving it.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Warning light on 53 Polo - Deryck Tintagel
Looking on the internet it appears that the Polo on 02 plates onwards has electro-hydraulic power steering. This uses an electric motor to provide the pump to drive the steering rather than a mechanical pump driven by the engine.

I would guess that there may be a problem with the ECU controlling the motor.
Warning light on 53 Polo - Dynamic Dave
Looking on the internet it appears that the Polo on 02
plates onwards has electro-hydraulic power steering.
I would guess that there may be a problem with the
ECU controlling the motor.

Or simply that the fluid level is low.

At a complete guess, it could even be an air bag warning light.
Warning light on 53 Polo - Deryck Tintagel
Yes, the fluid could be low.

Warning light on 53 Polo - PoloGirl
Thanks...

I'm guessing as it's only days old, it can't be anything serious and I'm giving it back tomorrow so I shant panic!

Warning light on 53 Polo - pmh
While you are at it, why dont you write a road test for the car. You can always compare everything with your older model.

All views are subjective, but it might just tempt (or deter) somebody from buying one!

pmh (was peter)
Warning light on 53 Polo - Welliesorter
I've just consulted my Fabia manual (similar instrument panel but without the blue illumination) and it is indeed the power steering warning light. 'If the light comes on when driving or does not go out within 2 seconds after switching on the ignition, this indicates a fault with the electronics of the power steering system.'