Log book - Mapmaker
I bought a new car earlier this week. The chap said private in autotrader.co yet he'd taken it in px for another vehicle...

Anyway, I filled in my address on the blue bit of the log book, we both signed it. I took the green bit, and he left the blue bit in the car with me.

Is it my responsibility to send this off? (Obviously I shall, as I don't want an expensive car without any proper V5.)
Log book - Thommo
Er...

I think your question about who is responsible to send in the blue bit is irrelevant as you will (obviously) send it in.

But some questions:

Was the sellers name on the V5, did you view the vehicle at the address on the V5? I assuming the answer to these questions is no, so how do you know the seller owned the vehicle he was selling? Did you HPI it? Can you trace the seller if need be?

I would try and contact the previous registered owner pronto to confirm the sellers story.
Log book - Mapmaker
Thanks for your concern, but it's all kosher.

I still want to know, if you buy from a dealer (i.e. the previous person used the red bit of the form), is it his or your responsibility to notify DVLA? It doesn't say on the form...
Log book - AdrianM
It does say on the form - see notes 5 & 6 on the back.

In short the seller should send the blue section to DVLA with the new keeper details filled out. The (private) buyer gets the green section as a 'temporary' V5. If you sell to a trader he gets the blue and green sections, you have to send the completed red section to DVLA.

If the V5 he gave you just has a blue and green section it would seem likely that he is a trader.
Log book - Mapmaker
Try again! Neither section 5 nor 6 has anything to do with this scenario.

Section 5 tells you what to do if you sell the vehicle to a motor vehicle trader.

Section 6 tells you what to do if you sell the vehicle to someone who is not a motor vehicle trader.

What happens when a motor vehicle trader sells the vehicle to you? Whose responsibility is it?
Log book - martint123
Section 6 tells you what to do if you sell the vehicle to someone who is not a motor vehicle trader.

What happens when a motor vehicle trader sells the vehicle to you? Whose responsibility is it?

as above - Section 6 ... He, the seller, is selling to you, assuming you are not a motor trader.

Log book - Mapmaker
Are you sure?

Section 6 is not a set of instructions to a motor trader. Section 6 specifically says 'then please destroy the red part' therefore it cannot refer to a motor trader as he has not got the red part.

Log book - AdrianM
OK. Put yourself in the sellers shoes and read it again - it is quite clear what should be done.

As I said before - if he doesn't have the red part he is likely to be a trader as the previous seller will have sent the red part to DVLA and given the blue and green to the trader (Section 5)

When selling to you he should have given you the green part and sent the blue part to DVLA (Section 6). If he has given you both parts you will just need to do his job for him and send the blue part yourself.

Hope that all makes sense!
Log book - Mapmaker
'It is quite clear what should be done.' Only through application of common sense, not through following the instructions on the back of the form!
Log book - AdrianM
I agree that the form needs reading a couple of times for it to become clear. However, if you follow the instructions exactly as written you can't go wrong.
Log book - AdrianM
Sorry, I should add that the confusion has arisen because the trader did not follow the instructions - he should know better!!
Log book - Mapmaker
Sorry, AdrianM.

I'm just being pettily pedantic, but:

1. You wrote 'I should add that the confusion has arisen because the trader did not follow the instructions.' Precisely. That was where I started, well done!

2. You wrote 'I agree that the form needs reading a couple of times for it to become clear.' No it doesn't. The form is perfectly clear. You have attributed to the form something it doesn't say. It makes no reference to what the dealer should do.

Section 6, as I have written, only applies to private sales. The dealer cannot have the red part, therefore he cannot carry out the actions in section 6, therefore strictly it cannot apply to him.
Log book - terryb
Boys, boys, boys.

I think the first thing you need to do is establish how old the V5 is. Some older ones had different sections meaning different things and they have changed a few times over the last 6 or 7 years.

Okay, seconds out, round, er, six?:o)
Terry
Log book - Mapmaker
December 2003.

Next?
Log book - AdrianM
Sorry, AdrianM.
I'm just being pettily pedantic, but:
1. You wrote 'I should add that the confusion has
arisen because the trader did not follow the instructions.' Precisely.
That was where I started, well done!

Sounds a little sarcy - no need, just trying to help, you asked the question ;-)
2. You wrote 'I agree that the form needs reading
a couple of times for it to become clear.' No
it doesn't. The form is perfectly clear. You have
attributed to the form something it doesn't say. It makes
no reference to what the dealer should do.

Correct, it is perfectly clear. It says exactly what the dealer should do. He is the seller (trader or private is irrelevent - he is the seller), he should send the completed blue section to DVLA.
Section 6, as I have written, only applies to private sales.
The dealer cannot have the red part, therefore he cannot
carry out the actions in section 6, therefore strictly it cannot
apply to him.

Section 6 applies to sales to a private buyer (it makes no reference to the status of the seller)- it states "if you sell or transfer the vehicle to someone who is not a motor vehicle trader." You are correct, the dealer cannot have the red part, that was sent of by the person who sold him the car. Section 6 makes no reference to the red part - it tells the dealer (ie the seller) what he has to do - send away the blue part.

I can only go by what is on my V5 - issued Nov 2003. If yours says something different there is no point us arguing it out.

Perhaps another BRer can explain better.
Log book - kithmo
Basically chuck the blue bit away or give it back to the seller and tell him to sort it and keep the green bit and use it as your temporary V5 (i.e to tax it or to get a new V5 in your name).
Log book - AdrianM
Noooooooo.....

The blue bit has to go back to DVLA for you to be issued with a new one - or face all sorts of hassle getting a new one issued.

The green bit states " Do not send to DVLA".
Log book - kithmo
Noooooooo.....
The blue bit has to go back to DVLA for you
to be issued with a new one - or face all
sorts of hassle getting a new one issued.
The green bit states " Do not send to DVLA".

As the new keeper, you don't need the blue bit to obtain a new V5. You have all the information on the car and on the green bit (V5/2), to obtain a new V5 by filling in a V62 as instructed on the rear of the green bit. The blue bit is of no use to you anyway as you can't use it to tax the car because it has the previous owner's details on it. DVLA have all the details of the vehicle on computer so it's no hassle to them if the blue bit doesn't turn up, burn it.
Log book - AdrianM
OK "all sorts of hassle" is a bit of an exaggeration. I agree you don't need the blue bit to obtain a V5. But why go to the trouble of a trip to the PO to get V62 and fill that in when you can simply send the blue bit yourself? Mapmaker states that the seller has already signed the blue part so he will only make more work for himself by going the V62 route.
Log book - Ben {P}
No No no. Sounds like the guy is a trader. If he bought it off someone there is no garuantee any bits of the reg document have been detached or sent off at all. Also, some aucitons will hand you the registration document in full when you purchase a car.

If you have bought the car, and have been given the v5, fill it in and send it off. You then keep the v5/2 in case you need to tax the car in the time between sending the v5 off and receiving your new registration document. It is in the intersts of the seller to send it off, but if the "owner" you "bought" the car from has not been registered with the DVLA in anyway he won't care less- hence he is quite happy to just leave it in the car.

The question still remians: if the "owner" advertised as private, yet was not named on the v5, how do you know they were the owner. The V5 is not proof of ownership.

Think about it, blokes a bit of a geezer. sees some old git with the car in autotradeer, goes round, haggles, makes him an offer, gives him the cash , in it a load of dodgy twenties and says "im a trader you give me that and i send it off". Pressures the poor old bloke, he hands it over and takes his cash. Trader drives home in his new motor, and sticks it back in the trader. Rips off the red bit and chucks it in the bin. Thursday comes, billy sees the ad, buys the car, and gets the rest of the reg document. No record of the trader owning the car.

Basically if the bloke is a trader, and can prove it and is honest in his advert etc, probably all ok. If you buy private, they should have all the reg document, unless they can prove they have only had the car for a very short period (wonder why). Their address should be on the V5 and should be the address at which you view and purchase the car from (ideally).

No name on V5 pretending to be private = dodgy.