Honda Jazz Ride - M.M
Has anyone experience of the current Jazz ride. I understand prior to May '03 it was apalling but serious work has been done and current cars are much better.

But how much better? Improved from apalling to just acceptable...or actually quite good for its class?

Thanks,

M.M
Honda Jazz Ride - pmh
There has been a thread on this sometime in the last 4 months. I remember because I posted a road test report on the original and was critical of the ride.

David.... the BX is alive and well just MoTd with no problems.

pmh (was peter)
Honda Jazz Ride - M.M
Peter,

Glad to hear the budget BX is still going!

Thanks also for the pointer towards the Jazz threads. I didn't think much had been said about the updated suspension but I found the comments you refer to...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=16338&...f

The specific use for the car I'm thinking about will be daily on some of the most undulating (short frequency) roads in the UK. Ride is a very serious consideration! As many say a test drive on the actual route in question is crucial.

M.M
Honda Jazz Ride - pmh
When I did the original test drive, Honda cuold not give me the loan car quick enough! No details of me, altho I did leave a £50 340 on the forecort as deposit!

I had the car for abot 2 hrs with their agreement.

I dont know if Honda are still so generous.

(MM, budget? BX, this was expensive! but it is only my 3rd car for daily use. See profile. The TR7 is for summer use only, and the Golf GTI is still wating for a cam belt).

pmh (was peter)
Honda Jazz Ride - Godfrey H {P}
MM, I'm delighted with my 2003 spec Honda Jazz,but then I don't like a "floaty" ride. My local dealer is generous with test drives. You should be able to arrange half a day test drive with no problem.
Honda Jazz Ride - Marcos{P}
My Uncle has just bought one and loves it. He looked at one a while ago, before the suspension mods, and didn't like the ride so I imagine it is a fair bit better in the new models.
Honda Jazz Ride - M.M
Thanks guys, I'd ben advising others on the impression I'd gained from folks in the past and wanted to make sure it was still correct.

Seems the "try first" is most crucial and then if you can hack the ride they'll be a good car.

Engine comments noted in other thread!

M.M
Honda Jazz Ride - mal
M.M.
If you can "hack the ride" they are a damm good car in all other respects especially on the petrol- 50mpg + for us. It's just that we were sick of being jiggled about in it and as you have probably read I could not notice any improvement in the suspension at all in the 03 models.
Ps. if you are thinking of buying one ther are 4 lovely pink ones in my local dealers that they may discount to shift them :).
Honda Jazz Ride - Orville
Well, I drove one on a very long test drive last week and decided not to go ahead with it.

The salesman had obviously heard ad nauseum all the comments regarding its poor ride according to the motoring press. He said they haven't changed the suspension and it was one rogue review.

Anyway, the ride is ok - but I also drive a Mini Cooper S with 17" alloys on run flats and Sports Suspension Plus! It is a firm and typically 'Japanese' ride quality - a little restless and stiffly sprung but not too harsh.

The biggest problem was the appaling lack of refinement - this is the noisiest car I have ever driven at motorway speeds. Lots of tyre noise, road roar and a howling typhoon outside because of poor insulation (50mpg remember). That alone was enough to rule it out for me.

YMMV
Honda Jazz Ride - HectorG

I contributed to a previous thread on this subject when I was considering buying a new Jazz. I test drove a Jazz SE a couple of times at different dealers.My initial impressions were that this is a fantastic car in all respects, except that awful jiggly suspension!

I left the final decision to my wife, who quickly decided the ride was unacceptable.

After a salesman (sorry sales executive) said he personally loved the CRV we decided to try one and were so impressed we are buying one instead of a jazz. How about that for lateral thinking -or should it be lateral buying!

BTW, both dealers confirmed that any changes to the Jazz suspension in 2003 were so insignificant to be totally unnoticeable. I am sure this is right because you would expect a typical salesperson to bang on about the wonderful 'new' suspension to get a sale even if there was no apparent improvement.

It's such a shame, as otherwise the jazz would be almost the perfect car with a more composed suspension setup.

HectorG
Honda Jazz Ride - NowWheels
BTW, both dealers confirmed that any changes to the Jazz suspension
in 2003 were so insignificant to be totally unnoticeable.

What a pity. I had wondered about this, because I read that one of the design features of the Jazz is a new space-saving suspension setup.

I'm not technical, but when I read reports of a bad ride, I wondered if the compact suspension had reduced the room for suspension travel. If so, it seems to me (in all my technical ignorance) the only way to make the suspension avoid hitting the stops all the time would probably be to make it very firm.
It's such a shame, as otherwise the jazz would be almost
the perfect car with a more composed suspension setup.

Yes, the design looks great: tons of space, clever seating, compact size, nice interior, very economical, brilliant automatic gearbox, excellent reliability -- pretty much my ideal car.

I wonder, though, how the ride compares with a FIAT Punto? I was driving a post-facelift 2000 Punto for a week recently, and found the ride much firmer than I would prefer, but still very liveable with. Is the Jazz bouncier than a Punto?

Claire
Claire, the 2003 Honda Jazz ride is not bouncy, and it handles like a go-kart. You realy need to take a test drive to find out.
Honda Jazz Ride - Roger Jones
All the Japanese cars in which I have ridden had a ride that was at best very firm and at worst jittery. Even the very firm was distinctly more jittery than the typical German firm ride. I guess the roads in Japan (and the USA, for that matter) must be in much better condition than those in the UK. I wonder what the Lexus is like.
Claire, the 2003 Honda Jazz ride is not bouncy, and it
handles like a go-kart. You realy need to take a test
drive to find out.

Godfrey, thanks for that -- it seems that there is no consensus on the Jazz's ride! So you're right, I had better try it myself one of these days.

But what do you mean by "handles like a go-kart"? Do you mean that is responsive, or that it is skittish?

Claire
It sticks to the road and you can throw it around.
It sticks to the road and you can throw it around.

Sounds like fun ... especially if there there is a tall, dark stranger throwing me around ;-)

Claire