Some people just don't listen... - Ian (Cape Town)
HJ writes, in the car-by-car breakdown, about certain Mercedes Benzes: Listen for timing chain rattle, signifying infrequent oil changes. Don't want to hear any ... rumbles from the wheel bearings. ... Remember, these cars only go on forever if frequently and expensively maintained. Cut back on the maintenance and they will break, leaving you with bills for more than the value of the car.

Guess what? My father has one of these beasts - a 380, with over 300 000kms on the clock. Over the festive season, he gave it an oil change - long overdue, I must add. filled up with 20W60 (Shell helix - 'for older engines'), and replaced front wheel bearings.
The inevitable happened, on Monday, he went out for the day, piled on a few kms. Fortunately nothing occured, BUT yesterday, at the local shopping centre carpark, timing chain went, shattering the top of the casing, and causing god-knows-what-else damage. I suspect a new motor car is called for.
Oh, and I HAD given him the HJ page a while back...
Some people just don't listen... - J Bonington Jagworth
Interesting that it should have happened shortly after the oil change. Possibly coincidence, of course, but I wonder if an oilway was becoming blocked and the new, thicker, oil found it more difficult to circulate? Certainly sounds expensive... :-(
------------------
Die dulci fruere!
Some people just don't listen... - Ian (Cape Town)
Interesting that it should have happened shortly after the oil change.
Possibly coincidence, of course, but I wonder if an oilway was
becoming blocked and the new, thicker, oil found it more difficult
to circulate? Certainly sounds expensive... :-(

My thoughts exactly ...
We refilled the oil, ran the car, checked the level 1/2 hour later, topped up, and have checked it since - level was correct.

Still, as a 1985 model, with taht sort of mileage, and bought cheap off a contact, it has given him 7 years of good service, so doesn't owe him anything.
But as HJ writes, the engine repair may be worth more than the car itself.

I suspect a viking funeral is in order ... remind me to remove the radio/tape first!
Seems a shame, especially as where you live, presumably, rust isn't a problem (although perhaps sunshine destroys interiors). Just shows that events were made to be wise after, I guess.
Some people just don't listen... - henry k
Seems a shame, especially as where you live, presumably, rust isn't
a problem (although perhaps sunshine destroys interiors).

Oh yes rust is a problem. A friend of mine in CPT had an old Merc that was in a sad sad state. Even had external hinges bolted on to the boot lid plus natural airflow in many areas.
I have worked in a few countries and SA has a good collection of MOT failures.
Some of the earlier far east offerings had holes even in the roof.
Not just the UK, then! I can see that if rust starts in a warm climate, then the heat will accelerate it. If dry, then the dust will get you...
------------------
Die dulci fruere!