Road Accidents in Brazil - Mark (Brazil)
Somebody, I think Andrew, asked me about this some time ago. Some stuff happened to come across my desk, so I thought I'd put it here.....

600,000 road traffic deaths in last 37 years
28,560 road traffic deaths in 1997 alone

(In both cases, only death at roadside is included, subsequent death in ambulance or hospital is not included in these figures)

3.5% of all deaths in Brazil are at the roadside in traffic accidents (comparison 1.1% in holland which is ALL traffic deaths, not just road side)

Cost to the govt of > US$10bn EACH YEAR

Average traffic jam length in Sao Paulo rush hour = 57 miles

There are 116,000 police in Sao Paulo (80k military, 36k civilian)

315,200 children do not attend school in Sao Paulo

All figures are from 1997, so goodness only knows what the figures are now !!

And just to round it off on a non-traffic related matter - quote from a Sao Paulo governor "its unfortunately true to say that torture by prison guards of inmates hasn't decreased as much as we had hoped for this year"
Road Accidents in Brazil - David Lacey
Quite frightening in my mind.

David

(Hope I never have to drive in Brazil!)
Re: Road Accidents in Brazil - Andrew Bairsto
thats the down side ,I would go back tomorrow, plus side well this is a motoring site.
At least the traffic flows through sau paulo and lovely motorways with lovely names ie the ayrton senna ,I have a photo of me talking to policeman leaning against the tropic sign on this road.We were discussing his increase in pay .
And do not forget O`Malleys in SP
Re: Road Accidents in Brazil - Mark (Brazil)
> I have a
> photo of me talking to policeman leaning against the tropic
> sign on this road.We were discussing his increase in pay .

I've got a photo of my Mother leaning on that sign - on the way out to Campinas ?

> And do not forget O`Malleys in SP

I've always preferred Charles Edward in Juscelino Kubitscheck.
Re: Road Accidents in Brazil - Dwight Van-Driver
Should be very sobering figures for those who still wish to go like hell and speed?
Any predominent causation factors apparent Mark or are you all poor drivers?
Re: Road Accidents in Brazil - Mark (Brazil)
> Any predominent causation factors apparent Mark or are you
> all poor drivers?

Clearly training & education is an issue. Law enforcement is a joke. Actually law understanding is a joke.

Lack of courtesy. Lack of respect, Lack of consideration - all feature.

However, I would have to say that IMO the biggest thing is that there is a total lack of understanding of potential consequences.

You see children standing on the front seat. Women holding babies in the front seat. Tyres with whatever passes as canvas these days showing through. They certainly don't care whether it is legal or not, but the issue is that don't understand the potential consequences and there is no method to educate.

Like Clunk-click adverts, or the child safety seat adverts etc etc.