can u drive a pug without power steering - pienmash
can u drive a pug with out power steering,mines a 4o5 gltd,the power steering has gone but it still drives well,will the pulley on the power steering be alright etc etc ...if i drive it
can u drive a pug without power steering - Ross_D
The pulley will be ok, but running a PAS pump with no oil for any length of time will probably damage it beyond repair.
can u drive a pug without power steering - Dynamic Dave
As Ross D says, don't run the PAS pump as you will damage it. Get a shorter drive belt so that you can isolate the PAS pump, but still drive the other pulleys.
can u drive a pug without power steering - DL
You'll most likely damage the pump and introduce metallic elements and swarf into the system, taking the power rack with it, if you drive any further with a pump in this state.

Just follow the good advice here and you *should* be ok.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
can u drive a pug without power steering - Cyd
I believe I have already answered this for you in your earlier thread
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=18...#
although I omited to make the suggestion about the shorter belt.

To be more specific: If you wish to drive the car without PAS, you MUST disconnect the drive to the pump. You will burn the pump out in less than 1 minute if you allow it to run with no oil.
PAS systems are deliberately designed so that the car can still be driven without PAS assistance. There is a legal requirement for the maximum torque which the steering needs under these circumstances. The steering will be heavy and uncomunicative, but driveable - it is very much a "get you home" feature.

As you use this site more you will find that most advice given is good and trustworthy.
can u drive a pug without power steering - Cliff Pope
Following on what Cyd said, I think you will find that in models of cars that had power steering as an option, the steering ratios in the manual and assisted racks were different. This was obviously to give more power to your elbow if there was no extra assistance.
This situation may give the impression that power assistance is merely an 'extra', rather than in fact being to a different design meeting different requirements.
Probably camber angle and track are different too.

Using a car without the intended power assistance is very much a get you home measure. When the power steering failed on my old LWB LandRover I found it almost undriveable. It would have needed the muscles of Hercules to make it go round a corner. Likewise making it stop when the power-assisted brakes failed.
can u drive a pug without power steering - pienmash
thanks boys....after driving it 40 mins,the steering pump pulley came right out and away from the pump.....just ordered a online pump ande fitting it sumntime this week...another 154 quid that includes 4 new glow plugs