Performance drop with ULS unleaded - Colin Etwell
I have noticed a drop in performance with my UK '90 Toyota Celica GTi since the introduction of ULS unleaded fuel. Does anyone know if its safe (or advisable) for me to fill up with super unleaded? Is the Government aware that these "cleaner" fuels can actually INCREASE fuel consumption (and presumably their take in taxes).
Re: Performance drop with ULS unleaded - Michael
Colin, given that your car currently uses unleaded, super unleaded is safe. Whether you will notice an improvement in performance is a different question and depends largely on the engine management system. If you use the search facility, this subject was aired quite recently on another thread.
Re: Performance drop with ULS unleaded - Colin Etwell
Thanks for the advice. Also, well noted that searching this site would have come up all the information I needed! (Doh!). Will try super unleaded and monitor performance / consumption.
Re: Performance drop with ULS unleaded - Tomo
I have an '85 Celica Supra, supposed to have 98 octane. I put super unleaded in, with octane booster for luck when I think of it. It seems very happy on that, even where there are no cameras! I think the newer front drive species will certainly not be more demanding.

Great cars, Toyotas!

Well, some of them....
Re: Performance drop with ULS unleaded - Growler
I was recently in UK and got my Harley out of storage. I did some 600 miles in a week, bike running beautifully (great for opening it up in 3rd at 60 on those Vance and Hines straight-thru's just as one is passing middle-lane somnolents and giving them a start!). My final tankful was of ULS when the "empty" light came on. I didn't really notice the type of gas (gas is gas to me) but as I went back to the bike after paying I noticed it was ULS. For the rest of that day the bike was definitely off, running rougher and popping back on the over-run. When I turned it in the mechanic at my storage facility looked it over and said it's fine (Only done 3000 miles anyway). Maybe it was the ULS gunk in the tank?
Or is it just I wasn't using 87RON like it says to use on the filler?
Re: Performance drop with ULS unleaded - Michael
what octane is uls in your part of the world, growler?
Re: Performance drop with ULS unleaded - The Growler
In the Philippines? I honestly don't know. There are only 3 pumps at the gas station: Gold (leaded), Green or Silver if it's a Caltex station(Unleaded), Red (diesel). These are dignified by fancy names, e.g Vortex or Helix, don't mean a rat's *ss to me!

But it is cheap: a bit more than a pund a gallon your money.