Transporting a frail OAP - Nsar
Hello BR, Happy Christmas everyone.
Has anyone had experience of driving a pretty frail elderley relative a long way? We had a death in the family a few days ago and we now face the need to get my 97 year old grandmother from Middlesborough to Liverpool for the funeral. Obviously I can drive her and my car is big and comfy, but a near three hour journey will be no picnic for her so I'd like to look at a private ambulance as she needs a wheelchair to get more than a few yards and may need nursing care at the Liverpool end. Any experience gratefully received.
Transporting a frail OAP - helicopter
Nsar,

Try ringing your local Red Cross for the loan of a wheelchair.They will expect a small donation to their funds. They may also be able to advise on private nurse or ambulance services.
Transporting a frail OAP - frostbite
In similar vein to Helicopter's suggestion - how about St. John's?

They do 'hire outs' for lots of events, so must be a possibility for a total solution.
Transporting a frail OAP - Ivor E Tower
Sorry to hear of your bereavement. Sounds like it may be worth checking with the doctor to see if she's up to a 3-hour road journey, and if the Doc can offer any suitable tips. You wouldn't want to accelerate the passing of another elderly relative, I'm sure.
Take care now.
Ivor.
Transporting a frail OAP - hxj

Sorry to be tactless but is it really important that your relative makes the trip? or does she feel obliged in some way? Wouldn't she better off, particularly at this time of year staying nice and warm and comfortable where she is?

Maybe you or someone she knows could spend the day with her instead? Frail old people simply do not travel well.
Transporting a frail OAP - Nsar
Not tactless at all hxj, I understand your POV but it's her son's funeral so....
Transporting a frail OAP - OAP
No harm in asking....Have you a nearby airport from which you could fly to 'John Lennon' and take taxi to the Church?

A lady I know flew on Concord at 103 !!
Transporting a frail OAP - Mondaywoe
I have every sympathy for you. We looked after my grandmother for some years before she passed away at the age of 99. She couldn't move an inch under her own steam - in fact physically,just about everything had stopped working. Mentally, however, she was as sharp as you or I right up until days before she passed away!

On the few occasions when she had to be transported, I borrowed a minibus with tail lift from work (I taught in a Special School in those days!) We simply ran her right into the bus on the wheelchair and clamped it to the special floor rails.

Would it not be possible to hire one of those little vans that have been modified for wheelchair access - where the chair runs straight into the back door?

Alternatively, if you talk to some of the local special schools or voluntary groups for adults with Learning Difficulties you might find them very amenable - especially if you make a small donation to their funds.

If all this fails, remember you get things like turntables that can be placed on a standard car seat which allow you to gently turn someone's legs into the car - even hoists with slings to deposit the person on the seat (we had an electric one for getting my granny into bed) A 'normal' car seat would be much more comfortable if you could find a way to get your relative aboard and settled.

Hope you manage to work something out. I know how important this can be to people of that generation. They still have a great sense of 'duty'.

Graeme