Peugeot 405 Diesel Running Problems - owenP
I have a 405 diesel - and it runs fine most of the time. When you have to go up hill it loses all power and really struggles - as soon as you start to go back down the hill - all is fine again. I'm thinking the pickup to from the fuel tank might have become blocked as the car had been standing a while before I had it. The car has a lucas fuel system with what appears to be the Bosch fuel filter.
Peugeot 405 Diesel Running Problems - DL
Basic service items such as the fuel filter...when was that last changed, for instance?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 405 Diesel Running Problems - pienmash
that sounds like u need a clutch mate..sounds as if it slipping when going uphill thus no power.....prob a oil seal as gone as well
Peugeot 405 Diesel Running Problems - DL
Yes...good point! Clutch sounds a good bet to me.

What's happening to the engine revs when the car struggles uphill then?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 405 Diesel Running Problems - pienmash
i would def say clutch dl,i have had so many cits and pugs....that def sounds like clutch....BEWARE THO ..DO NOT GO WITH deleted OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF SHOP LIKE THIS AS THEY WILL KILL YOU WITH THERE PRICE TAGS...depending on wot sort of clutch u got,,,it should cost around 70 quid for clutch,plate n bearing,,,,buy them and get a nice man from a performance car garage to fit them .......i say performance as they treat this like bread n butter work,plus there normally all young n fit and are quicker than a dodgy deleted bloke whos so slow that labour charges run in to the 200 quid bracket.plus they normally tune u up for free,so u come back for sum work init...if u live in surrey..gis a bell theres a pug mechanic round ere that does work really cheap on sats and sundays plus his pug trained in france

{Names deleted for obvious reasons. DD}
Peugeot 405 Diesel Running Problems - autumnboy
When was the fuel filter last changed ?? it may be partially blocked or if your fuel filler cap or filler neck vent is blocked. Both of these faults can starve your engine of fuel under full load conditions.

If your 405 is a Turbo version, you may be losing your boost pressure through a hole in the pipework or a hose has blown off.