Drink driving crackdown? - Thommo
For various reasons that I won't go in to I was out and about on the roads of four counties at all hours for the last five days.

In previous years I have run in to police road blocks (illegal but when did that stop them), enhanced car patrols, foot patrols breathylising those about to get in to cars etc, etc.

This year... NOTHING. I only saw two police cars the whole time and those were in broad daylight cruising around the M25 doing the 'don't go faster that me' trick.

Have the police abandoned the traditional drink driving blitz?

(I am teetotal by the way.)
Drink driving crackdown? - v8man
Of course they have. There are not any patrols left due to this governments obsession with 's************s'! I read somewhere that drink driving is actually more widespread during the summer months.
Drink driving crackdown? - puntoo
Breathalyser Cams ?

Drink driving crackdown? - kithmo
They were stopping everyone at 8:45am last Saturday Outside the Sheffield Arena. Legal or not I think it is a good idea. Prats who drink and drive, even the morning after, deserve to be locked up.
Drink driving crackdown? - Pugugly {P}
Not unlawful - See Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 and unassociated Road Traffic Offenders Act - perfectly legal and to be applauded - I have nothing to hide drinkwise or any other substance.
Drink driving crackdown? - jd
For me, the more road blocks the better.

If this is what it takes to weed out the un-taxed, un-insured, drunk, drugged no-marks that get away with murder - then let's have more blocks .......

Same with ID cards - it's only the scrotes who have anything to worry about.

JD
Drink driving crackdown? - Oz
To repeat an earlier post of mine: in Australia, roadside random breath tests are a long established reality. If they were introduced in the UK, I wonder how many people would discover how well it concentrates the mind and would change their habits. I drive as if they are already in force.
Oz (as was)
Drink driving crackdown? - Oz
Post script - a statistic about random breath tests from today's Adelaide (South Australia) Advertiser:
"About 5500 motorists passed through random breath testing stations around the state between 6pm and 6am, with 52 testing positive."
Oz (as was)
Drink driving crackdown? - kithmo
JD, in response to ID cards, its not the "scrotes" or illegal immigrants who have anything to worry about. Let's consider the implications of having to carry an ID card. If you get stopped and don't have your card with you, e.g. maybe you left it in your other jacket. The police are likely to give you a "producer", much like they do now when they require your driving licence etc, rather than take you away and lock you up (civil rights and al that). So you now have the inconvenience of having to go to the police station to show your documents. If the "scrotes" or illegal immigrants get stopped they get a producer and then just dissappear, no inconvenience to them at all. No point IMHO.
Drink driving crackdown? - El Hacko
surely there is no point in making ID cards compulsory (and I'm all for it) unless you make NOT carrying them at all times a criminal offence, too? Then no-one can just 'disappear' after being stopped.
Drink driving crackdown? - HF
I'm also of the 'if you ain't done nothing wrong then what's the problem' brigade re ID cards, and I'm also aware that this thread is getting a lttle political.

Just thinking that, if they were to become compulsory, then they should not be regarded in the same way as insurance or MOT docs etc. It would take time for the public to get used to it, but in the end why should it be any more difficult to remember to take your ID card out with you than it is to take your front door keys?

And I *know*, tomorrow, for the first time in my life, I will somehow forget my front door keys, purely for saying that. :)
HF
Drink driving crackdown? - andymc {P}
Well, you\'re not going to be criminalised for forgetting your front door keys. On a motoring theme - I never have my licence with me in the car, even though in theory this means I could end up with the hassle of making a trip specially to take it to the nearest police station. 8< Snip! 8< As I said, I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy, very highly.

8< Snip! 8< Better stop now as I\'m getting away from motoring ...
andymc
Drink driving crackdown? - Rob the Bus {P}
Andy,

I agree with every word you have written. Well said.

However, as it will be deemed political and not much to do with motoring, I'll leave it there!

Happy New Year to you.

Cheers

Rob
Drink driving crackdown? - No Do$h
Andy,
I agree with every word you have written. Well said.
However, as it will be deemed political and not much to
do with motoring, I'll leave it there!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Please keep posts relevant to motoring. I will edit a post or two on this thread for now, but any more digression and the thread gets locked.

Ta for your cooperation, understanding and custom. Have a nice day, y'all.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk