Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - Beaks
I have a'98 Primera SE that has now doen 75000 miles,on semi-synthetic.Should i change it to run on Fully synthetic and if so how should i go about it ??
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - Roger Jones
At that mileage I wouldn't change, but others will give you more expert opinions. Had it been on non-synth I definitely wouldn't change.
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - Aprilia
Don't think it will may any difference either way.
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - Civic8
As above if no problem`s why change?
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - Kingpin
Probably by this mileage any wear would have happened already and the extra protection offered by fully synthetic may be a waste. A decent semi-synthetic would be good enough changed regularly to double that mileage on such a proven engine.
Isn't there a risk at this mileage that fully synth (and even semi-synth) might dislodge nasty stuff that ordinary mineral oil has left in place? That's the view I took with my old Capri with 60k on the clock, and my mechanic endorsed it emphatically.
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - 20w50
depends how well the car has been serviced really.
Interesting point. Can you elaborate a little on that, 20w50?
sure, if your engine has been serviced frequently, i.e every 6 months its had an oil change, your not really going to have any problems switching to using a synthetic product.

if you have a car, you do not know the history of it, and say it hasnt been looked after, the oil hasnt been changed since the stone age etc, putting a synthetic product in there may start to stir up sludge thats sitting on the engine walls and start pumping that around - potentially jamming your oil pump
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - mark999
I had the cams of a 2.0 primera start to sieze up after switching to synthetic, due to blocked oilways in the pipes that feed oil to the top end. The feed holes on there are no bigger than a pin hole.
interesting. did you flush before switching?
also what was you using before and how often servicing?
Nissan Primera and Mobil 1 - Aprilia
The Primera engine (SR20De) is exceptionally clean running and if serviced regularly will not burn oil or gum up. I have seen one taken apart after over 100k miles and it was like new inside. Not a trace of gum or soot.
So long as you use a good quality oil and change regularly you shouldn't have a problem.