No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Flat in Fifth
Sorry about this I feel a rant coming on.

rant mode = on

We've discussed the issues relating to fog light misuse, blue neons, HID, Xenons, badly adjusted lights, bla bla bla.

I'd like to add another to the list.

I cannot recall that in previous years seeing quite so many utter morons driving about in the half light of the early mornings without anything illuminated at all as in the last few weeks. Sometimes it's not even half light.

Clearly as soon as anyone gives them even a half hearted flash the lights get switched on, so maybe it's just a case of their lights are out in sympathy with their brain cell(s).

Can somebody please explain why?

I trust you all appreciate the extreme self restraint to avoid including any references to "pink fluffy dice" in this post.

\rant mode = off

Eye thenk yew!

No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - jeds
I'm sure this must have come up before but has any manufacturer ever tried a low light sensor? I'm thinking something like; side lights come on automatically when daylighting falls below a certain level.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - SteveH42
Not sure about the more modern ones, but on the old-style Saab 900 you couldn't actually turn the sidelights off if the ignition was on. I believe it's actually mandatory in some Nordic countries that you have at least sidelights on at all times. Makes a lot of sense really.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - PhilW
It's a real problem at the moment. Seems to be worst where people exit well lit areas/car parks at dusk - I counted several while waiting for my wife outside a store last night (pink fluffy Christmas shopping!) In a way this is understandable but far more dangerous was the bloke in a slate grey (BMW - but that's irrelevant!) car who overtook me at about 80 (him not me!) on an unlit section of dual carriageway in thick fog and in the dark. How the heck could he see anything? How the heck did he expect anyone to see him? Why? Why? Why?
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - volvoman
Totally agree FIF - I can't understand how these idiots can drive for miles with no lights or dashboard illumination bit it's very common. Perhaps that's why Volvo make cars the way they do.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - SteveH42
Must admit it took me a while to get used to the Yaris. On previous cars, the instruments being shrouded in darkness gave a fairly good clue that you'd forgotten to turn the lights on, not to mention the fact you could leave the switch in the 'on' setting as they lights only came on with the ignition on. As the Yaris has a VFD display, you don't notice the lack of illumination as much and you have to turn the lights off otherwise you get a flat battery when stopped...
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - AdrianM
I was lucky enough to travel to the US quite regularly in my last job. Almost all hire cars I had over there had automatic lights - set them on auto and they switch dipped beam on and off with the light conditions. My 406 has 'intelligent' wipers, which is fine, though I can usually tell quite quickly if I can't see out the window!
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - PhilW
Doesn't the C5 have automatic lights? I'm sure someone will enlighten us (groan)
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Rob the Bus {P}
FiF,

I have to say that there appears to be a North/South divide going on.

Since I moved down to Kent, I have noticed a marked increase in the amount of cars I see with no lights on after dark. I regularly count three or four per night (I'm on lates at the moment - boo hiss!) whereas back 'oop North' I'd be lucky - if that's the right word - to see three or four a month. I'm genuinely puzzled as to why this may be.

Cheers

Rob
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Roger Jones
Why do they do it? I bet that they think they're saving the battery. That's probably the battery that also powers their two brain cells. For decades, idiots have been driving without lights, or with just sidelights in the dark, and I've never heard an explanation other than "saving the battery".
I have to say that there appears to be a North/South
divide going on.

Rob,

I guess that proves my theory then.

I always thought that we had more oil in our lamps oop north, and why them dahn sarf got on my wick. (Boom boom!)

Commiserations with the lates! I always hated afters (as we knew them then) too. At least with nights you know your week is totally stuffed.

FiF

No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Welliesorter
I have to say that there appears to be a North/South
divide going on.

Maybe an east/west one too. On a recent trip to Cornwall I noticed far more drivers than I'd expect with their lights on during the day in what I'd consider to be good visibility. This was on all types of road, including dual carriageways.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - M.M
FIF,

Oil lamps?? You must have the ver1.12 lamp upgrade, what's wrong with carbide..it's good enough for the flatlands!

You are right though, in such dull driving conditions I'm quick to turn on my sidelamps (position lamps DVD?) as provided for in the highway code.

M.M

FIF,
Oil lamps?? You must have the ver1.12 lamp upgrade, what's wrong
with carbide..it's good enough for the flatlands!

Ah yes M.M carbide!

Remember Dad telling me about his first car ride as a small boy in the very early 1900's.

They had a problem and it became dark before reaching home.

As the driver had no water to add to the carbide pellets in order to produce the acetylene gas, Dad was asked to.....errm..... perhaps best left there methinks.

P.S.

seeing as this was in Scotland just now realised where the term wee boy originates.

No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Sooty Tailpipes
The trouble is, society is being continuously dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. The state treats people like babies. I rarely listen to the radio in the car, but the other morning, it was raining and slightly misty, the local Trent FM radio had a 'Thunderbike" man (whatever they are), listing junctions and roads which were particularly busy during the rush hour, as one would expect. I also expect that the same list will be reeled off the next day, and the day after that and so on. What really annoyed me though was the fact he told people it was foggy, (read misty) and he begged people to slow down and switch their fog lights on, and complained desparatly that he had seen cars without fog lights on! We then went back to the studio to the two 'presenters' whom in the most patronising and oikish manners both begged people to "SWITCH ON YOUR FOG LIGHTS!"

You see, we really don't stand a chance - stop the world, I wan't to get off.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Ben79
PhilW,

I wasn't going to mention it, but many Peugeot Citroen include auto lights. Very useful feature on most middle spec cars. I sometimes switch to side lights to override the dipped beams as I think it is a bit overactive.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Cliff Pope
As we are looking at regional variations, here is my observation from west Wales.
About 1 in 10 drivers don't put any lights on either in the early morning or at dusk, and about 1 in 100 don't seem to need lights even in darkness. In my experience they never respond to a flash. If they notice anything around them at all I think they react with a kind of stubborn refusal to be pressured.
Also an equal number of those who do have lights don't realise that it is possible to dip them.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - Mondaywoe
Seeing as you asked, Phil! ....... yes the C5 does indeed have automatic lights. They actually work pretty well most of the time - eg they cut in as I drive into the garage!

You have to watch them on days when it is just a bit murky - ie poor enough conditions to require lights for 'being seen' but not dark enough to actually see your beams on the road or notice the dashboard illumination.In such circumstances it's better to switch to a manual setting. Because I have the black C5 (I'm convinced they only made the one!) I tend to use the lights that bit more to ensure I'm seen.

I do agree with the sentiments of other posters, though. I too am appalled by the number of motorists driving without lights - or, for that matter with poorly adjusted light(s)

Oh - that reminds me! My particular rant is about tractors with two white lights at the back. Once or twice I've come round a corner in pitch darkness and panicked, thinking a car was coming towards me on the wrong side of the road! Surely that must be illegal!

Then there are all those trailers and farm implements with faulty / non-existent / mud covered lights. How many have you seen with BOTH flashers and the odd brake light all flashing merrily away at the same time?

And what is the current road tax on tractors, dare I ask?

(Merry Christmas to all my many friends in the farming community!) ;-)

Graeme

No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - BobbyG
Drove home in a blizzard tonight from Edinburgh and was amazed at the number of cars driving with just sidelights on!!

However, I was cheered up with the sight of the female in front of me trying to drive her 911, obviously without traction control!!

Cheered me up no end!!
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - PoloGirl
Drove home in a blizzard tonight from Edinburgh

Is it really snowing??! Will it reach Wolverhampton by Christmas Eve?? I'm 23 and only saw 'proper' snow (grew up in Hampshire where it turns to mush as it hits the ground) in February and have never had a white Christmas!

And back to this being motoring related...

I was very glad to be driven on the M6/M40/M42 this morning in the Passat, as Polo would have been floating on the amount of surface water, and was amazed at the amount of people who didn't have their lights on. Really can't understand the fuss about rear foglights though - surely it's better to be over cautious and be seen... it doesn't hurt your eyes that much!

No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - BobbyG
PG, can assure you it was very real snow!!!!
The rumble strips on the hard shoulder were a good guide to follow.
No Lights!!!! arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! - NorthernKev {P}
Hello I'm back.

Yep, was driven back from Aberdeen Uni today, and cars had snow on them and hills had snow on them, but we [as I usually find] missed it. Grrr

By the by, what is the best combination of heater controls to keep the screens clear? Aircon on/off, non/recirculate, hot/cold, etc?

Merry Christmas to all by the way

Kev