Road question - Hugh Janus
I was driving home last night and there was a red arrow on the road. It was facing in the direction of travel.

Can anyone tell me what this means, please.
Re: Road question - David Woollard
Hugh,

I refer you to my post of 14th Aug...

Author: D J Woollard (---.btinternet.com)
Date: 14-08-01 19:2

.............I'll know it has all gone pear shaped when Hugh Janus finds the forum and starts delighting us with his posts!

David
Re: Road question - Mary Longford
There is a road by a school near ourselves where one is so confused by the red stripes across the road that one is in danger of bashing into one of the black bollards "highlighted" by a dark matt burgundy ring round the top that "protect" the numerous pavement protrusions which occur in the general vicinity of them. That is, if one hasn't crashed into a child, or spotted a protrusion and swerved into the oncoming traffic, causing it to mount the pavement, and mow down scores of schoolchildren.

His Lordship has scoured the scores of highway codes and road signs books he has accumulated over the centuries since he first began to use motorised transport (they obviously having had no relevance to him as a pedestrian, cyclist, horse rider, or carriage driver) and can find no reference to them.

Are the related to the arrows? Does anyone know what they mean?

By the way David: how long has Hugh been delighting you with his post, and why does it make it go pear shaped?
Re: Road question - David Woollard
bogush,

My statement was in future tense, no past experience.

David
Re: Road question - Alvin Booth
Don't know Hugh but haven't you noticed lots of little markings on the road which must signify something.
A couple of times I have seen one of Percy wotsits cats eyes set in the middle of the lane you are in. What do they mean????
And little white squares painted in the middle of the road.
if they are there to give a message I don't know it.
Alvin
Re: Road question - Mike Harvey
Lost his way back from an air show and fan out of fuel!

sorry, don't know.
Mike
Markings on road - David Lacey
White squares & catseyes in the middle of traffic lanes, usually on fast A & B roads are for 'plod' to use in his fight agianst speeders.
These an be seen on the A303 near Yeovil, Somerset.

David
Re: Markings on road - Dwight Van-Driver
David

Whilst an obvious use as a reference points for Vascaring Plods (Police Love Old Drivers Speeding) I also understand that these squares and eyes are also used by Local Authorites when carrying out electronic mobile road surveys, which was the original reason.
Saves men walking with the wheel on a stick when measuring sections.