Citroen Synergie TD. - David Woollard
One of my customers is considering trading a Renault Espace petrol for a '96 Synergie TD. I have read the Car by Car guide on these and have my own views as a Citroen supporter.

However any views from users (Darcy?) as to these as a long term family vehicle.

David
Re: Citroen Synergie TD. - Darcy Kitchin
Hi, David.

Everyone loves our 1.9 TD Synergie except those who have to drive it! Both madame and I wouuld like some more power under the throttle pedal; 90bhp seems lacking with 6-up and a caravan behind.

The children like the individual seats, the light, airy interior and the air-con. I leave it set to 21deg summer and winter and it's very comfortable. The front seats feel too small for my 6' 2" 16stone frame, but I've put in some long journey times without backache. Like many conventionally-sprung cars, the ride is best with a full load. With the seats set for maximum leg-room, the boot space is minimal, but, contrary to the advice in the handbook, the middle seat of the centre row is installed facing backwards, giving a useful area behind the seat back. We have a roof-box, as well.

It was bought to satisfy a need, which it does adequately.

DIY basic servicing is a doddle, but the cam belt is tiresome, I'm told.

Faults in 85 K miles have been, water in gearbox and rusting clutch cable after fording some floodwater. The 'box is back to normal after dosing with additive and changing oil every 3K miles. Air-con needed a recharge at 82 K miles and the second-stage blower motor lost its connection to the air-con computer at 81K.
It's had disks and pads at 74K. When I first got it, I was troubled with it pulling to the left. We did the lot, tracking, balancing, 4 wheel alingment, looked for worn bushes, sticking brakes, changed tyres round, but it persisted. A new set of 4 Axxium tyres replaced the Michelin originals and it was cured.
Hope I never need to replace any o/s rear light; you've got to remove the CD player to do so.

It does 33-35 mpg uncorrected, solo.

Hope this helps.
Re: Citroen Synergie TD. - David Woollard
Darcy Kitchin wrote:

> 90bhp seems lacking with 6-up and a caravan behind.

I'm not surprised!

> DIY basic servicing is a doddle, but the cam belt is tiresome, I'm told.

Timing belt just changed by the selling dealer (he is a contact of mine and the buyer is a customer so a delicate line to tread on this one)

> It does 33-35 mpg uncorrected, solo.

That low!!

> Hope this helps.

Yes thanks Darcy, any more contributors with one?

David
Re: Citroen Synergie TD. - Ian Cook
David

My two-pennorth would be to check the comfort of the ride in the back (see my earlier posting about the dreadfully uncomfortable Renault Scenic).

I guess a lot of folks with people carriers just shove their kids in the back and let them get on with it. It's worth checking by getting the dealer to drive it while the prospective buyer sits in the back - and get him to drive over all sorts of roads.

Ian