Logbooks/Car documents - trancer
I bought a used car the end of October. Along with its current MOT I also received what I now understand to be the bottom end of the V5 document. I remember it had a red colouration to it and had the vehicle details etc. While at the Post Office obtaining a tax disc I was told that I had to turn that bit in and fill out a change of ownership form. I did just that, got my tax disc and thought that was the end of it.

Yesterday I got stopped by the police and the officer asked for my logbook. He looked a bit concerned when I asked him what that was, but he clarified by saying the registration documents for the car. I told him the post office story and he said I should have gotten it in the mail by now. I didn't know I was supposed to get anything in the mail. He took my name and address and radioed it in with (I assume) my car reg number, but I couldn't hear the reply. He seemed bothered that I had no registration documents, but after a min or two he said I was free to go, which is good, but it left me wondering about the next time I am stopped. What should I have in the car as far as documentation?.

This is my first vehicle purchase in the UK. I bought the car from a home trader and followed his (and others) advice for registering the car, but now I am not sure if what I did was correct or sufficient.
Logbooks/Car documents - No Do$h
Give DVLA a ring with your reg and personal details and they will let you know whether they have effected the change of ownership yet and when you should expect the logbook. I\'ve found them to be very helpful in the past.

DVLA: 0870 240 0010
Logbooks/Car documents - kennybase
Don't worry too much - there is not a lot for you the buyer to do for documentation.

It is up to the seller to send off the blue V5 document to the DVLA (who are always very helpful!) and whilst you are waiting for the documents to arrive, you should have been given a small Green V5 piece of paper which has the car registration etc on it. Below this green part is the red part which is used for traders.

It usually takes about 2 weeks for the new V5 document to be sent out to you, and if you are still waiting for it now, I would contact the DVLA as it is possible that your papers have been lost.

With respect to what you have to carry with you in the car for next time you are stopped (!) - nothing is my understanding. You must be able to produce them at a police station within a certain number of days, but apart from that, as far as I understand, you are not required to have anything on you.

Logbooks/Car documents - Ppaul
Isn't the idea to keep the log book out of the car anyway. Theory being that if someone pinched the car with dox enclosed they would be at an advantage when selling it.

I don't carry anything in my car because I leave the glove-box empty with the door open so it's clear to any potential crooks that there's nothing to take.
Logbooks/Car documents - martint123
I thought it was just driving license, insurance and mot (if req) that plod could ask for. Fleet owners don't give V5's to drivers do they??
Logbooks/Car documents - Mark (RLBS)
>>Fleet owners don't give V5's to drivers do they??

Speaking for myself, then a verified photocopy is given together with a letter of permission.
Logbooks/Car documents - Galaxy
Some years ago a friend of mine was stopped by plod. Asked for his documents he then proceeded to take the Log Book out of the glove box!
Needless to say, plod had words with him about the possible pitfalls of keeping said document in there, even though he had actually produced what had been asked for.
In this instance I have to say that plod was quite right!
Thanks to all who responded, I think I have sorted it out now. A call to the DVLA revealed that they have not received any change of owner details, and that whatever I filled out at the post office had nothing to do with notifying the DVLA, which is contrary to what I was told at the post office..oh well. I am off to get a "V62" as that is what the DVLA person told me to fill out and send in. Hope thats the end of it now.
Logbooks/Car documents - kennybase
Take it then that should you have been through any speed cameras etc - you're not the one getting the tickets!!!
Not sure I understand this, but the police stop you and ask for documents you are not supposed to carry on you?. Whats the point of asking for them then?.

Logbooks/Car documents - Rob the Bus {P}
I think that it's generally recognised that it is impractical to carry around all the documents required and could compromise security, as mentioned above.

If it is thought necessary by the police officer, and you don't happen to have them with you, he or she will give you a 'producer' detailing the necessary documents to produce at your local police station within (I think) seven days.

They ask for them for the obvious reason of making sure that the vehicle is yours, that it is roadworthy (or was on the day it passed its MoT at any rate), that it is covered by insurance and that you have passed the driving test.

I have been given producers on the odd occasion I have had a prang in the bus (not my fault) which means getting hold of the V5 and MoT certificates from head office. Not teribly easy, although my last but one employer had an arrangement with the local police station whereby they held a certified copy of the insurance certificate and would accept faxed copies of the V5 and MoT as long as the faxes were no longer than an hour old.

Cheers

Rob
I understand about not leaving documents in the car due to the risk of theft, but how about vehicle registration and insurance docs being available on small wallet sized cards that can be carried on your person?. The system seems to work fine in the US, in order to operate a vehicle you must be in possesion of a valid license, registration and insurance (if applicable),any particular reason why that would not work in the UK?.

No need for an extra trip to the local police station (I don't even know where mine is!) and the police can determine your legality right then and there. A thief in a stolen car can be held on the spot. Those without insurance or a valid license could also be dealt with, instead of letting them loose and hoping they turn up later with details they don't have.

It would also be more efficient for the police force themselves. Having one officer check and verify documents must be easier/cheaper than having one officer ask for documents, then have another receive and check them.

I know I am new to this system, so maybe I am approaching this the wrong way.
Logbooks/Car documents - Jehovah
I had to produce my documents after an incident, and the policeman explained that technically you are meant to have them "ready to produce" ie. in the vehicle or on your person, but the accepted compromise is to allow a few days grace to allow you to produce tham at any police station. Hope it never happens to me at the beginning of a 3 week holiday in a remote bit of the UK, because I certainly wouldn't keep them in my vehicle.
Logbooks/Car documents - cockle {P}
the accepted compromise is to allow a few days grace to
allow you to produce tham at any police station. Hope it
never happens to me at the beginning of a 3 week
holiday in a remote bit of the UK, because I certainly
wouldn't keep them in my vehicle.

>>
The operative part is 'at any police station', and not necessarily by you, if any of our fleet drivers are asked to produce the instruction is to give the officer the address of a police station somewhere in Birmingham. The driver then rings our fleet managers who despatch someone round to the said Police station with a copy of the V5, MOT and insurance certificate, all of which are held centrally in their office.
Seems to work OK, mind you, I'm not so sure the desk clerk at the nominated station is too happy about coping with any producers for the whole country!

Cockle
Logbooks/Car documents - Bromptonaut
Trancer wrote:
I understand about not leaving documents in the car due to the risk of theft, but how about vehicle registration and insurance docs being available on small wallet sized cards that can be carried on your person?

I think the issue here is the British reticence about being forced to carry id. Understand that while id is not reqd over the pond either the driver license effectively fulfills that role in the store, bank and even the bar. Might all change here if Blunkett succeeds with his current scheme for a National ID card.
Logbooks/Car documents - Mark (RLBS)
an ID card is about the only thing I'd ever support him on. However, bring them on, I think they're a good thing. And why shouldn't we use the States' approach of using the driving licence as a de facto standard ?
Logbooks/Car documents - madf
"And why shouldn't we use the States' approach of using the driving licence as a de facto standard "

and with so many peeple driving with no licence and getting away with it?

madf

ID may not be required by law in the US, but get stopped by the police and the first thing they will ask you for is ID. If you are driving and do not have your license/registration/insurance present, you could be given a citation or have your vehicle towed. Many states also offer ID cards available through the US version of the DVLA. If stopped and you do not have photo ID you could be held until they verify your identity.

So technically you won't be breaking the law by not carrying ID, but your day could go very wrong if you don't. I never left my house without ID on me, having been stopped and required to identify myself while jogging or riding my bicycle, I am glad I did.
Logbooks/Car documents - Robbie
I understand about not leaving documents in the car due to
the risk of theft, but how about vehicle registration and insurance
docs being available on small wallet sized cards that can be
carried on your person?.

Zurich Insurance provide you with a credit card sized insurance certificate, which is acceptable for most purposes. They also provide the usual paper type, with various tranlations, for use in Europe.
Logbooks/Car documents - ndbw
The last time I took my car to France in 1996,I was told I must have the registration document with me.I was not very happy to do this for the reasons previously given and coplied by carrying it under the lining of the boot.Has this rule changed?.

ndbw
Logbooks/Car documents - Bromptonaut
The last time I took my car to France in 1996,I
was told I must have the registration document with me.I was
not very happy to do this for the reasons previously given
and coplied by carrying it under the lining of the boot.Has
this rule changed?.
ndbw

AFAIK this is still the case; certainly in all the published advice. Counterpart to requirement on French drivers to carry the Carte Grise in the vehicle?.

Logbooks/Car documents - kithmo
Why would the police be asking for the log book ? The only documents I carry with me (in my pocket, not left in the car) are my driving licence and insurance certificate and when the car reaches 3 years old, I will be adding my MOT certificate. As long as you have proof of who you are (driving licence), a valid insurance certificate (and MOT where applicable) and the car is not reported as stolen, I cannot see any reason why they would need to see your V5.
Well that was all he asked for, never mentioned MOT, license or insurance. Even after it was apparent that I didn't have a logbook on my person or in my possesion he still sent me on my way. Not complaining mind you.
Logbooks/Car documents - Pugugly {P}
Yes Polic do have the power to request production. Used to be a "probationer special" (no doubt DVD will elaborate, increasingly done now especially when ANPR is in town. Apart from generating more work for the Police this has had a significant increase on my firm's workload.