Pug 205 - faulty heater blower - rooster_lxy
It seems as if I have sick car syndrome at the moment. Just waiting for the third problem to occur (see earlier post about locked door).

Anyway, the heater blower on my 205xld (H plated) has stopped working. This also seems to be a common problem reported on this list.

One of the usual suspect appears to be the transistor based speed controller which I can easily remove but have no idea how to test it to see whether it is OK. Anyone got any suggestions?

Another common suggestion is the blower motor may have packed up. I've followed the various suggestions for removing the motor (head in the passenger foot-well, remove the 3 obvious screws and give a good tug) but without result. Do I really have to dismantle the facia to get at this motor?

As an alternative approach I tried removing the wiring connector to the blower unit and connecting a +12V line and earth line directly to the terminals in the hope that the blower motor would spring to life at full blast - but it didn't. Is it now reasonable for me to assume the blower motor has actually died? Or is my understanding of car electrics a bit naive?

Does anybody know of any other usual suspects for this problem?

If I cant fix this I face a chilly drive to the North of Scotland in a weeks time.

Cheers
Rooster

Pug 205 - faulty heater blower - elrikos
i've had a similar problem with my girlfriends 205. hers packed up spectacularly (water got in throught the scuttle and the motor shorted and started smoking!). it should be a case of undoing the 3 screws around the fan and it should just drop out. it is possible the fan itself has disintegrated a bit and is holding the unit in the hole. in that case remove the plastic scuttle cover (plastic bit between bonnet and windscreen)(remove the screws and pull out). and you'll see the fan in the big hole. give it a smack and it'll come out. find a nice breaker and they'll sort you one for about £10-15. when you put the scuttle back in grease the lip a bit where it sits in the windscreen rubber. it will help waterproof it and make it go back in easier.
if the fan isnt going when you connect a 12v supply you do have a problem with it and it'll need changing. don't worry about manhandling the fan unit. if you arent going to reuse it then give it a good pull and you'll see where its being held in.
Pug 205 - faulty heater blower - Crinkly Dave
Sounds like the 306 problem I have. The supply to the motor is via a couple of fuses and a relay, and the earth is fed via switches and a resistor pack to give the multispeed
If you turn the ignition on there should (assuming fuses and relay OK and terminals to relay not burnt out) be a 12v supply to one side of the motor. Try earthing the the other side, preferable via a cable with a line fuse.
If it runs the problem is in the switch or resistor pack or the earth point
Pug 205 - faulty heater blower - Andrew-T
As you say, head in footwell, undo 3 screws, unplug lead - and you may have to work the motor from side to side before it separates from the soft seal. Problems with motor usually start with twittering in cold weather - can be cured by lubricating the bearing inside the square section which takes one of the screws. Never had a failed motor, so can't advise there. Oh - you may have accumulated debris in the fan, which could just make it jam.