Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - Archie
....and having discovered the joys of bangernomics with a £100 88 Nova I find myself with a situation that I haven\'t come across before. All the cars I\'ve owned previously have never had frozen door locks, but this one is so bad I couldn\'t even get the key into the lock of the tailgate. Any favourite cures from the backroomers for home and on the road?
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - KevDGill
I bought this cool(well...) thing ages ago from Debenhams - it\'s a lock deicer and torch and you can slide out this metal spike and in a few seconds it\'s hot enough to melt ice (or burn skin).

Or you can get lock-deicer packs which are just small aerosols of deicer with a specially shaped nozzle to squirt into the lock.

Other option is to heat up a really thin screwdriver or kebab skewer or something in a flame and use it as per the top option.

-- Kev
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - rory
.........and when you\'ve finished sqirt in a few drops of thin oil, such as 3-in-1. Also consider a light smear of vaseline on the door rubbers; stops them sticking to the body work when it freezes after rain.
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - glowplug
I use WD40 followed by 3in1 as a preventative. This time of year I carry a blowtorch type fag lighter so if I\'m stuck I carefully heat up the car key.

Steve.
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - Victorbox
I agree with using WD40. Apply it with the red pipe into the locks every Autumn and again in January/Feb & work it in & out & around with the key. Your locks should stay unfrozen throughout the winter. Your pockets & fingers will occasionally have a nice black stain for a while though!
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - Dynamic Dave
Previously discussed, with plenty of helpful advice.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=84...3

Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - doctorchris
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - Sooty Tailpipes
They will only freeze if they get water in them.
Make sure the flaps move across when the key is taken out, and washe them out with WD$) or similar, then as someone else says, use a proper oil as WD40 is not a very good or long lasting lubricant, and is not designed to be such.
Any tips to prevent locks from freezing? - hillman
The oil method seems to be the best but, If you are accidently stck at home, get out a hairdryer and heat it that way. If away from home try leaning your bum against the lock for a while. Lift your coat first, of course.